Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nearly brand new 90 kWh Non-Ludicrous battery pack, v3 - LIMITED TIME

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wk057

Former Tesla Tinkerer
Feb 23, 2014
X
Reminiscent of my previous upgrade there here: Nearly brand new 90 kWh Ludicrous battery pack, v3 - LIMITED TIME (and actually noted this a little earlier here in that thread: Nearly brand new 90 kWh Ludicrous battery pack, v3 - LIMITED TIME )

Nearly the same details, except the pack I have available this time is not Ludicrous capable. There are minor hardware differences between the two packs that make it so it can't be setup for Ludicrous mode. Unfortunately there is not an upgrade path for this pack from non-Ludicrous to Ludicrous. It's still a great condition 90 pack with the newer v3 chemistry and such, however.

It is a relatively new pack (apparently a recent Tesla warranty replacement to an 85 vehicle) and shows roughly 2000 miles of usage. 83.4 kWh usable.

I whipped up a tentative cost chart here: 90 kWh HWID 81 Available Upgrades

Similar to before, I'll likely need to process this battery one way or another around the end of next week. I really hate seeing perfect packs like this get broken down and not used in a vehicle, though, which is why I'm here again, throwing these upgrade paths out there. So if you want to move on this, it would need to be somewhat soon.

Same note as before also: Warranty implications: There would be no more Tesla warranty on the battery pack. They consider it an aftermarket part at that point, and won't touch it.

Contact me if interested.

Edit: Upon further research, this pack can indeed be ludicrous enabled... however, it is not as good as the HWID 82 variant when it comes to using that higher power. I'd expect it to degrade more rapidly in a ludicrous-enabled vehicle as other's have experienced with this variant with ludicrous. I'll leave it as an option to the buyer, though, as to if it gets enabled or not if going in a performance dual motor car.

Last edited:
Wow, only $4,500 to upgrade from a 85kWh pack. But what would you consider excessive degradation on the core battery pack?

For an 85 would like to see 249 miles or better at 100%... would have to up the cost a little from there proportional to how we'd resell the higher degradation modules.

Edit: Clarification: 249 for a RWD 85, 236 for a P85D, and 256 for an 85D.

• Informative
Reactions: JPUConn
Just curious - for the 75D to P90D, you mentioned in the notes - Upgraded coils. What does that mean? The $14K cost includes some suspension upgrade?

My 75D has the air suspension, that's why I'm curious.

If the car doesn't have air suspension, the suspension can't be automatically adjusted for the different battery pack and performance motor. So, +$1500 to swap all of the coils with the correct ones.

If it does have air suspension, this isn't needed since the components are the same and configurable.

If the car doesn't have air suspension, the suspension can't be automatically adjusted for the different battery pack and performance motor. So, +$1500 to swap all of the coils with the correct ones.

If it does have air suspension, this isn't needed since the components are the same and configurable.
Understood. So its $14K assuming the car has Air. Thanks.

My P85D+ and I are patiently waiting on another 90 kWh Ludicrous, v3 pack to become available like the one you posted towards the end of last year. I believe it was Hank that jumped on it a few milliseconds after you posted it. You gotta be quick in these forums. :eek:

• Funny
Reactions: Californiates
Hi Jason,

I'm interested. I have a signature P85 and would be interested in turning it into a P90 for $4500. Two questions:
1) what is the maximum rate that this pack can supercharge at? 120kW? 150?
2) My motor was replaced in 2017- I don't know what version the new motor is, how would I go about find out that info?

Hi Jason,

I'm interested. I have a signature P85 and would be interested in turning it into a P90 for $4500. Two questions:
1) what is the maximum rate that this pack can supercharge at? 120kW? 150?
2) My motor was replaced in 2017- I don't know what version the new motor is, how would I go about find out that info?

Supercharging rate would be limited by your charge port to 120kW.

If your motor was replaced in '17, you'll have a new enough revision motor.

Unfortunately not. In your case you'd actually need more than just the charge port to get over 120kW, also, come to think about it. Charge port, high voltage junction box, charger(s), and a few other things. Definitely not worth it for a short period of an additional 30kW really... we're talking a few minutes less charge time at best.

The v3 90 vs your v1 85 would be night and day better on supercharger speed as it is.

I'm sure. The maximum charge rate I've seen at a SC is 88kW and it derates to 50-60kW pretty quickly, even in places like Kettleman City where they have a massive amount of power available (and there weren't many other Teslas supercharging there at the same time)

Reactions: sdoorex
For an 85 would like to see 249 miles or better at 100%... would have to up the cost a little from there proportional to how we'd resell the higher degradation modules.

Edit: Clarification: 249 for a RWD 85, 236 for a P85D, and 256 for an 85D.
I would also love to improve my SigP85 pack range with this 90, for $4500. My imputed 100% range was 250 miles before Tesla’s software update last summer that instantly whacked off 10%, which I sort of view as artificial/temporary. But how would my current 225 mile range affect your $4,500 upgrade cost? Or are you able to perform software magic, and uncap the range back to 250?!? I’m on the fence about losing my warranty 9 months prematurely, but will think about it. I only have 57k miles on my original A pack. I’m assuming my 90-kw peak would rise to 120-kw? Maybe I shouldn’t assume things...can I still Supercharge after a 3rd party battery pack upgrade? No longer free?

Reactions: Sig72
I would also love to improve my SigP85 pack range with this 90, for $4500. My imputed 100% range was 250 miles before Tesla’s software update last summer that instantly whacked off 10%, which I sort of view as artificial/temporary. But how would my current 225 mile range affect your $4,500 upgrade cost? Or are you able to perform software magic, and uncap the range back to 250?!? I’m on the fence about losing my warranty 9 months prematurely, but will think about it. I only have 57k miles on my original A pack. I’m assuming my 90-kw peak would rise to 120-kw? Maybe I shouldn’t assume things...can I still Supercharge after a 3rd party battery pack upgrade? No longer free?

225 would be pretty low (15% degradation). Would have to get it on the bench to see for sure, but I'd estimate somewhere around $6k total.

Supercharging would be 120kW after the upgrade, and would still be free/unlimited as that's tied to the vehicle VIN not the pack.

how are the 100 packs in terms of price now? are they coming down in price?

Still ridiculous.

225 would be pretty low (15% degradation). Would have to get it on the bench to see for sure, but I'd estimate somewhere around $6k total.

Supercharging would be 120kW after the upgrade, and would still be free/unlimited as that's tied to the vehicle VIN not the pack.

Still ridiculous.

I may be interested. I have 2014 P85D with 248 miles of range at 100%SOC. However to lose the warranty on the battery is not ideal without having ludicrous added. If you can add ludicrous I would be interested in negotiating a deal. My P85D has 29k miles. I know the P85D’s didn’t come with the hardware for ludicrous to be added by jailbreaking it so I’m not sure if we could make a deal we both like. But I’m interested. My P85D is already faster than any P85DL I’ve seen and almost every P90DL besides V3 90 batteries (2016.5 P90D/P90DL’s) which are amazing if they have ludicrous added

Reminiscent of my previous upgrade there here: Nearly brand new 90 kWh Ludicrous battery pack, v3 - LIMITED TIME (and actually noted this a little earlier here in that thread: Nearly brand new 90 kWh Ludicrous battery pack, v3 - LIMITED TIME )

Nearly the same details, except the pack I have available this time is not Ludicrous capable. There are minor hardware differences between the two packs that make it so it can't be setup for Ludicrous mode. Unfortunately there is not an upgrade path for this pack from non-Ludicrous to Ludicrous. It's still a great condition 90 pack with the newer v3 chemistry and such, however.

It is a relatively new pack (apparently a recent Tesla warranty replacement to an 85 vehicle) and shows roughly 2000 miles of usage. 83.4 kWh usable.

I whipped up a tentative cost chart here: 90 kWh HWID 81 Available Upgrades

Similar to before, I'll likely need to process this battery one way or another around the end of next week. I really hate seeing perfect packs like this get broken down and not used in a vehicle, though, which is why I'm here again, throwing these upgrade paths out there. So if you want to move on this, it would need to be somewhat soon.

Same note as before also: Warranty implications: There would be no more Tesla warranty on the battery pack. They consider it an aftermarket part at that point, and won't touch it.

Contact me if interested.

What V3 battery is it? If it’s 1088792-00-A I’m much more interested or 90 even.

Well NVM I see that ludicrous being added isn’t an option with this one. If possible to do so PM me