Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need a less-than-urban corporate supercharger option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’d like to see 15 or 20 amp 120v outlets installed at each parking spot, especially for places where people tend to park for hours or days at a time (ie, work, airports, bus stations, etc). No need to play musical cars and 8 hours of charging could get the vast majority of people where they need to go after work.

The hospital next to my house, installed about 20 nema 5-20 outlets, and since most hospital employees work 12 hour shifts, 20 amps seems to be more than accommodating for many of the employees.

They aren't putting up signs saying "EV parking only", but it seems that unless there aren't any other spaces available, people see the AC outlet in front of each spot, and figured it out.

Look up open evse....caltech in Pasadena has it installed. PlugShare screenshot below.

the engineering behind this was fairly brilliant, they used all open source software with a mix of tesla HPWCs and other third party hardware. The proof of concept project was successful enough that they spun it off into its own company.

My office has been kind enough to supply an HPWC, sadly running at 208V because 277 is no longer listed as an option in the manual, but we are running into capacity issues... They aren't insurmountable issues yet, but its only a matter of time as more Teslas are bought....

I'd like to see a very slow supercharger option, like maybe dual ~25kw(or even modular charge level options!) DC outputs, running on the available 480V three phase supply that is commonplace in a commercial environments. This would make commuting-level recharge times an hour or so, and the charger(or pair) would support a bunch more Teslas.

I'd think we'd need the charging cabinet to be outdoor-rated, since sending about a zillion volts and a decent number of amps DC across a parking lot would be a bad idea.....

Ideally, we'd also be able to register our Tesla's for free charging at that one(or two) chargers.

None of these seem to be really hard to solve, but I'm not sure its a large enough market for Tesla to bother with. I imagine that the underpinnings of this would be a depopulated urban supercharger, since I've seen pictures of the innards of their cabinet and they already seem modular inside....

What say you?

277v is no longer listed as an option in the manual but it still works. 4x wall connector on a 100 amp circuit would provide 5.5 kW per vehicle. Great value if you have a lot of Teslas.

277v is no longer listed as an option in the manual but it still works. 4x wall connector on a 100 amp circuit would provide 5.5 kW per vehicle. Great value if you have a lot of Teslas.

I totally get that it still works, and it would be a pretty good solution, but if its not in the manual as approved no licensed electrician should install it that way. I'd still do it for my own installation, but think of the liability if things go very wrong....blown chargers, burned teslas,and so on. I understand that's not the problem seen on the handful of S's that can't deal with the higher voltage anyway, but the electrician wants to keep his license.

I did actually print up and take a handful of pages of a slightly older HPWC manual that showed the proper connections for 277V out to the electrician at the start the install, but he wouldn't bite and I don't blame him.