Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need a sacrificial lamb...I mean volunteer.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Trebek1762

Let's play jeopardy
Feb 6, 2018
Wisconsin
So I was told by 'someone' at tesla that the yellow update icon and the popup screen can go away...IF someone starts the update, drives for 20-30 min, at which point the update will error out, and voila, icon and prompt goes away.

I've tried starting it while driving, but it won't even start, saying that it needs to be in park.

SO...

WE, those that want to stay on V8, need a volunteer, a champion really. One that is either already on 39.6 (updating to 39.7), or one that will not be upset if they update to v9.

What we need for you to do is to try to start the update while in park and see if they are able to shift into a drivable gear AFTER the update has already started, drive for 20-30 min.

Worst that will happen is that it won't work, and you'll be updated to whatever you've been staged to update to.
Best that will happen is that you ARE able to drive, update errors out, icon goes away. If you want to update to V9, call up the SC, tell them there was an error during the update, and they will re-stage you.

In the eternal words of Princess Leia... "Help us obi wan kanobi, you're our only hope..."

I saw your post in the other thread; but I didn't realize you'd tried to start the update while driving.
When you manually initiate the update, it issues a warning that you won't be able to drive or use the center screen, and gives you one minute (or maybe 30 seconds?) to cancel it or start driving. That's when you would need to start driving.
I certainly understand if you don't want to try this.

you cant.. i already did one of these on an ooops.

when you press update, your given a 2 min counter.
If you try to start your car within the 2 min counter, the update will cancel, and the update screen gets minimized, and waits for you to accept the auto updater again.

You can start the clock for the update and put it in drive with the clock counting down. It errors out when it hits 0:00 while still driving. I did it. Multiple times.

We need someone to let it hit 0:00 when parked, then try to see if they can put it in drive.

I kinda did this once a while back. My car was updating for maybe 15 minutes. The message on the screen was "verifying update". I thought "well, if it's verifying it should be good so I'll park it in the garage". Car started, update aborted. Took a good 3 weeks before I was prompted to re-install. This was back in May. Of course, YMMV.