Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need Advice from someone who upgraded to AP1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in the process of purchasing a 2016 MS 75 with the first version of AP hardware. It's being advertised as having Autopilot, but I called Tesla Service center just to confirm before sending the money. This is where things get strange. Tesla said that it does not have autopilot. Deflated at that news, I contacted the dealer. It took them a day and a half, but they came back and provided multiple pics of the center screen, 1 with VIN and 2nd with the Autopilot options.

Image attached. My question for those who have AP1, these options would NOT show without the upgrade, correct? Is it possible Tesla has it wrong? By the way, this dealer is a reputable dealer in a different state, so I cannot physically test drive the car. I'm confident it's not a scam or anything like that, but just trying to figure out why the discrepancy. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

2018-03-15_2047.png

I'm in the process of purchasing a 2016 MS 75 with the first version of AP hardware. It's being advertised as having Autopilot, but I called Tesla Service center just to confirm before sending the money. This is where things get strange. Tesla said that it does not have autopilot. Deflated at that news, I contacted the dealer. It took them a day and a half, but they came back and provided multiple pics of the center screen, 1 with VIN and 2nd with the Autopilot options.

Image attached. My question for those who have AP1, these options would NOT show without the upgrade, correct? Is it possible Tesla has it wrong? By the way, this dealer is a reputable dealer in a different state, so I cannot physically test drive the car. I'm confident it's not a scam or anything like that, but just trying to figure out why the discrepancy. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

First, welcome to TMC!

From the screenshot, it sure looks like a car that has autopilot enabled (i.e. it looks like what I would see on my car, see my sig for details). Admittedly I haven't seen this screen on a car with AP1 hardware but without autopilot convenience features (what you call "the upgrade"...it's really just a software-enabled option). My expectation would be that if the controls are there, you have the AP1 convenience features enabled.

Occasionally Tesla has gotten it wrong. I was going to suggest calling another Service Center, but if there's something in the back-end records that are incorrect, they might give you the same answer.

Why can't the dealer just drive the car for a few miles and check it out?

If the dealer (third-party dealer, it sounds like?) isn't familiar with Teslas, I don't think I'd want to try talking them through enabling autosteer, etc. That'd be even harder if OP has no autopilot experience.

Based on the evidence provided I'd say this really is an auto-pilot enabled Tesla.

Good luck, and please let us know how it works out!

Bruce.

Welcome to Tesla
Just reading what you told ,there might be 1 in 10000-100000 chance this maybe one of cars that owner selling it because they were caught messing with AP hardware or software on the board.
Tesla’s blacklisted this type of person that makes changes or they have any hacks with AP software or board and if Sevice center finds any changes or try to in Mgf hardware or software ineffect you are branded or blacklisted from getting any more software upgrades forever on that car. But I have not seen but heard this does happen, I am not saying that’s what your situation is . Best thing what you are doing is correct. Now if
this outside dealership is one of Tesla’s I would ask them why this car does not have AP And have them explain why which they should have done in first place if that was the real case. Just ask them with that vin number what options was originally sold with the Vehicle. I wish you good luck it’s a great car to have and sure you will get this one. I hope it was just a oversight on there part.

Just reading what you told ,there might be 1 in 10000-100000 chance this maybe one of cars that owner selling it because they were caught messing with AP hardware or software on the board.
Tesla’s blacklisted this type of person that makes changes or they have any hacks with AP software or board and if Sevice center finds any changes or try to in Mgf hardware or software ineffect you are branded or blacklisted from getting any more software upgrades forever on that car.

This hasn't actually happened.

Tesla can't legally blacklist anyone because they are modifying a car they own.

One owner had his firmware forcefully rolled back when he released some proprietary information, but they later reversed that decision.

The only time Tesla blacklists a car is if it has been totaled by an insurance company or has a salvage title. And even those cars can be re-validated.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18