Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need advice on Rear End Damage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today’s update:

Contacted Tesla Body Shop in Walnut, CA. (Owned and operated by Tesla) Next available appointment....get this, January 6, 2020!! They said I could try another shop that is Tesla certified to see what their workload is like. Excellent reviews on Yelp. They’ve been repairing a lot of Teslas so they are very experienced. Going to bring the car there tomorrow for an evaluation and their appointment date.

Since the claim will be with my insurance company, I”m limited to $35/day for the rental car. 30 day max. Pretty much screwed here. Looks like I’ll be driving the old ICE car for a while.

It just gets better and better every day.......
I dropped my 3 yesterday at the Pomona shop. Will see how long it takes. Was able to get model S loaner as the other driver’s insurance is accepting comparable loaner. It took me about 30 days to get the appointment at Pomona

Today’s update:

Contacted Tesla Body Shop in Walnut, CA. (Owned and operated by Tesla) Next available appointment....get this, January 6, 2020!! They said I could try another shop that is Tesla certified to see what their workload is like. Excellent reviews on Yelp. They’ve been repairing a lot of Teslas so they are very experienced. Going to bring the car there tomorrow for an evaluation and their appointment date.

Since the claim will be with my insurance company, I”m limited to $35/day for the rental car. 30 day max. Pretty much screwed here. Looks like I’ll be driving the old ICE car for a while.

Ask them if they can unplug the sensors that are creating warning messages so that you can drive the car while waiting. I think any Tesla certified shop would be fine for that repair, unless they indicate there is motor or battery damage. You may get stuck with a collision deductible unless your policy covers deductible waiver for uninsured/underinsured claims. Also, you can bill the other guys insurance for your out of pocket expenses such as rental expenses over and above your coverage. However, the other insurance will prorate the $5k policy between you and your insurance in proportion to each party's expenses, but at least you can recover something for extra rental cost. Been through that same $5k issue recently. Good thing the guy that hit you at least admitted fault, my guy denied it and I had to pull out TeslaCam footage to nail him.

Car is drivable but all kinds of warnings pop up on the screen due to sensors being damaged or gone. Rather not drive it due to the bumper and diffuser being about 3" from the ground. Too difficult to remove also.

Ask them if they can unplug the sensors that are creating warning messages so that you can drive the car while waiting.

Agreed. I really recommend just having the shop of your choice remove the bumper if you can’t do it yourself (it is pretty easy - watch any hitch install video - you do need an appropriate 8 or 10mm socket and the right small Torx bit but I think that is it). If it is well enough attached you might be able to just unplug the sensors, but for safety it is probably good to remove the entire bumper and diffuser. And as you say it is really low so probably needs to be removed.

That is what I would do if I had to wait a few weeks or months for repair.

I dropped my 3 yesterday at the Pomona shop. Will see how long it takes. Was able to get model S loaner as the other driver’s insurance is accepting comparable loaner. It took me about 30 days to get the appointment at Pomona

What is the extent of your damage? The guy in Pomona said the reason for the long delay was the type of damage to my car.

As far as the rental, the other insurance flat out told me to get the rental through my insurance (AAA) but AAA said my policy covers $35/day, 30 days max. Anything above that may or may not get reimbursed by the other insurance (Freeway) so it may be my bill if they deny paying. Hey, Pomona said they didn't have loaner cars. What’s with the VIP treatment? You got “Musk” in your name or something? Haha!

As far as the rental, the other insurance flat out told me to get the rental through my insurance (AAA) but AAA said my policy covers $35/day, 30 days max.

This is why I really think you should try to get your car to a state where you can drive it while you wait. I think overall it will be less frustrating for you. The writing is on the wall here - going to spend a lot of money on a rental and gas or on gas only if you happen to have a backup ICE.

What is the extent of your damage? The guy in Pomona said the reason for the long delay was the type of damage to my car.

As far as the rental, the other insurance flat out told me to get the rental through my insurance (AAA) but AAA said my policy covers $35/day, 30 days max. Anything above that may or may not get reimbursed by the other insurance (Freeway) so it may be my bill if they deny paying. Hey, Pomona said they didn't have loaner cars. What’s with the VIP treatment? You got “Musk” in your name or something? Haha!
My damage is way less than yours. The rear bumper is scratched and also the plate from other vehicle indented into the bumper. The loaners they have on premise is through enterprise rental lol. AAA initially wanted to give me $50 max a day, but I said my commute is long and I want a comparable EV vehicle

Today’s update:

Sorry this happened - it’s no fun! I feel your pain, believe me.

My wife hit a deer on the interstate last week in her Enclave. So no choice but to file with our own insurance. After the first body shop went out of business - with our car half taken apart inside - I was able to extricate it yesterday and get it to another body shop. We’re over $16k in damage already and they haven’t gotten into it at all. Will be at least a month before they start, because of a national parts shortage due to the UAW strike.
Of course, our rental coverage is only up to $1,000 so that’s not going to cover it all.

The deer, sadly, was uninsured so I can’t even subrogate for more rental coverage!

The only upshot is that the new body shop is also Tesla certified so I can take on a charge when I drop in. Super nice guys and great reviews. Will be nice to add a quality Tesla body shop to my virtual Rolodex ... just in case.

Reactions: MichaelP90DL

Ok, not really,

maybe they'll total it... entire new bumper/ trunk ... potentially bend subframe

Yes, seriously, it is possible that it is a total. But based on other reports around here it's more likely closer to $20k which would likely not be a total. Lots of dismantling and re-riveting that needs to be done to the various trunk crumple components; obviously there is tons of intrusion. If the nodes are significantly damaged maybe it will total out. Lots and lots of labor in any case - probably not really that much in parts.

Last edited:
Anyone have experience with this?
]

I have answers for you. I am in SoCal and had similar rear end damage this year. Hit & run, license plate wasn't captured on dash-cam, lost my $1k deductible.

- Tesla SC regional manager in Van Nuys told me they are only just starting to replace bumpers. Frame damage requires Tesla Certified Body Shop (TCBS)

- Progressive said I can use any bodyshop in or out of their network, because Tesla requires TCBS.

- Many TCBS had months waiting list for estimates. I found one near me (Service King, chain body shop) that offered to look right away. Things vary a LOT between body shops in terms of backlog, so check around and don't get discouraged. The "quality" of body shop is mostly irrelevant due to Tesla repair process (see below).

- [MOST IMPORTANT STEP] I had to coordinate Progressive rep to appear at Service King during teardown, then Service King was able to put the bumper back and let me keep driving the car. The reason allowed was because the manager knew how long it takes to order parts. They wouldn't do that for a regular car, which takes only a week for parts delivery.

- Progressive dispersed funds to Service King

- I drove the car for 3 months before all parts arrived

- Service King manager showed me the Tesla Certified process. Tesla actually creates a hardcopy folder with step by step "how to" photos custom for your repair. The parts are shipped directly from the assembly line, even including adhesives! The step by step repair process will recreate the car exactly as done on assembly line, to the extent a Tesla factory worker could take your car apart and never tell it was in an accident. Adhesives, welds, materials, are all assembly line. This is why I don't think Teslas should lose value from an accident. The car literally, is brand new. I went over this many times with the manager. Its quite amazing and exhaustive how Tesla requires their cars repaired.

- 2 week process. I had only $30/day rental, so I used Turo and rented cars that cost exactly $30. Fiat, Hyundai, etc. Progressive cut me a check. Faster/easier/cheaper than using car rental agency.

- After repairs, Service King warned me I will need to take it to Tesla for sensor and software calibration. I did, which was an overnight repair, and Service King paid the bill.

It was many steps, but in the end, I rested assured my car was 100% flawless repair. I'm not sure if the used car market will knick me down the road, but I do personally know the car is in full brand new condition, as I saw the repair book.

good luck!

Sorry this happened - it’s no fun! I feel your pain, believe me.

My wife hit a deer on the interstate last week in her Enclave. So no choice but to file with our own insurance. After the first body shop went out of business - with our car half taken apart inside - I was able to extricate it yesterday and get it to another body shop. We’re over $16k in damage already and they haven’t gotten into it at all. Will be at least a month before they start, because of a national parts shortage due to the UAW strike.
Of course, our rental coverage is only up to $1,000 so that’s not going to cover it all.

The deer, sadly, was uninsured so I can’t even subrogate for more rental coverage!

The only upshot is that the new body shop is also Tesla certified so I can take on a charge when I drop in. Super nice guys and great reviews. Will be nice to add a quality Tesla body shop to my virtual Rolodex ... just in case.
Congratulations on the successful extrication.

Congratulations on the successful extrication.

thanks. Ran into 2 other people there trying to do the same. I was the only success story - everyone else was either still locked inside or their keys were missing.

not a good story ... I read some of the court filings yesterday around all this. Part of why I Thought it IMPERATIVE to get out yesterday. Past today, it’s going to get worse, not better.

I have answers for you. I am in SoCal and had similar rear end damage this year. Hit & run, license plate wasn't captured on dash-cam, lost my $1k deductible.

- Tesla SC regional manager in Van Nuys told me they are only just starting to replace bumpers. Frame damage requires Tesla Certified Body Shop (TCBS)

- Progressive said I can use any bodyshop in or out of their network, because Tesla requires TCBS.

- Many TCBS had months waiting list for estimates. I found one near me (Service King, chain body shop) that offered to look right away. Things vary a LOT between body shops in terms of backlog, so check around and don't get discouraged. The "quality" of body shop is mostly irrelevant due to Tesla repair process (see below).

- [MOST IMPORTANT STEP] I had to coordinate Progressive rep to appear at Service King during teardown, then Service King was able to put the bumper back and let me keep driving the car. The reason allowed was because the manager knew how long it takes to order parts. They wouldn't do that for a regular car, which takes only a week for parts delivery.

- Progressive dispersed funds to Service King

- I drove the car for 3 months before all parts arrived

- Service King manager showed me the Tesla Certified process. Tesla actually creates a hardcopy folder with step by step "how to" photos custom for your repair. The parts are shipped directly from the assembly line, even including adhesives! The step by step repair process will recreate the car exactly as done on assembly line, to the extent a Tesla factory worker could take your car apart and never tell it was in an accident. Adhesives, welds, materials, are all assembly line. This is why I don't think Teslas should lose value from an accident. The car literally, is brand new. I went over this many times with the manager. Its quite amazing and exhaustive how Tesla requires their cars repaired.

- 2 week process. I had only $30/day rental, so I used Turo and rented cars that cost exactly $30. Fiat, Hyundai, etc. Progressive cut me a check. Faster/easier/cheaper than using car rental agency.

- After repairs, Service King warned me I will need to take it to Tesla for sensor and software calibration. I did, which was an overnight repair, and Service King paid the bill.

It was many steps, but in the end, I rested assured my car was 100% flawless repair. I'm not sure if the used car market will knick me down the road, but I do personally know the car is in full brand new condition, as I saw the repair book.

good luck!
That's really impressive. It might be useful to document -- as you did above, with photos, if possible -- the repair process to offset the CarFax report.

That's really impressive. It might be useful to document -- as you did above, with photos, if possible -- the repair process to offset the CarFax report.

I have a feeling the Tesla repair process will get digested by the market with time. Also, I don't have to sell to anyone who wants a discount. I can always wait for a buyer who understands. Hopefully that is many years from now anyway.

So I finally got the repair estimate: $16,000 +
The Tesla approved shop estimates 2 weeks for parts delivery and 3.5 weeks for repairs. I’m comfortable with this shop as they routinely repair many Teslas with very high reviews and customer satisfaction.

So now I wait.....

So I finally got the repair estimate: $16,000 +
The Tesla approved shop estimates 2 weeks for parts delivery and 3.5 weeks for repairs. I’m comfortable with this shop as they routinely repair many Teslas with very high reviews and customer satisfaction.

So now I wait.....

So my parts have arrived and I’m now waiting for my shop of choice to call me in.

My issue is the key cards no longer unlock the doors. The cards do enable driving however. I read in the forums this may be a software issue. I receive my usual software updates but they always fail to complete. Possibly due to damaged sensors in the rear bumper. I contacted Tesla about the keycard issue and they sent an update to my car but it failed as well.

My concern is if I take the car to the shop for the collision repair, how will the shop unlock the doors without the key cards? Do I let them register one of their cellphones to the car?

I inquired via the Tesla App which initiated a Tesla mobile service appointment this week but I’m not sure what they can do.

Anyone else have a similar problem / solution or suggestions to my issue?