Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need Electrician recommendations in Orange County, CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi!
Not sure if there's a section about that so posting here.
I know Tesla has "recommended" electricians, I've contacted 5 only 1 really responded and is coming out to see my panel.

I've asked for 5-6 quotes on Yelp as well, got a few replies.

Anybody has had a great electrician for their Tesla that they would recommend?

I'm still debating with just a NEMA plug / outlet or the full Wall connector, so far quoting for the outlet at this point.

Thanks!

Thanks for all who reached out to me.

Will most likely go with the NEMA plug for more flexibility, and from what I can understand I can always add a Wall Connector later to it.. and rumors about a new Wall Connector coming out soon for the M3..

Jimmy Pham (seven juan for 399-5998) installed our Tesla High Power Wall Charger (gen 1) in July 2015 for our 2015 MX P85D... and also a Tesla HPWC (gen 2) for my co-worker's 2017 MX 90D. Did great work... and worked at Tesla recommended / certified installer McBride Electric / Critical Electrical Systems Group at that time. Did a fabulous job on ours with a complete stealth mount.
IMG_3291.JPG

Just had my Nema 14-50 installed inside the drywall on the side of post and it requires some finesse to push and unplug the UMC. So be sure to install the box firm on both sides of the plastic box if possible. Also think about turning the plug upside down 180 degrees if you thinking of hanging the brick below the socket.

I need an electrician in OC as well. PM me if you can give someone your enthusiastic seal of approval.

I noted Jimmy Phang above, thanks!

Quick question while I am here. Is HPWC same as Tesla Wall Connector? There is nothing that Tesla sells that is called "High Power Wall Charger", at least not here Model 3

People on YouTube who show how they installed the Wall Connector are quick to point out that the charger is inside the car, what you are installing is a convenient adapter/connector.

I was not getting notifications here apologies.. and also was waiting to actually get the car and plug it in to give my referral

In any case they had a flat fee $500 for installing on either side of the garage, I went with the opposite side of the 2-car garage and it was the same price, others because of the distance were charging almost $1000 and was not a flat fee.

The company is a solar company and the owner lives 2 street next to me in Mission Viejo. He contacted me via Nextdoor.
Ping me for contact. Cheers

I live in Irvine and I had two Powerwall 2 battery packs installed with my solar. During install they included a Nema 14-50 outlet. The problem is that the Tesla Wall Connector is designed to be hardwired. I could replace the 14-50 outlet with the Wall Charger, but I prefer to keep the outlet. I found a 4-foot 14-50 (50 amp) male plug to bare wire which will allow me to keep the Nema outlet and use the Tesla Wall charger. In the comments section of the plug and cord, other Tesla owners have used this cord.

Attachments

• Nema 14-50.jpg
    Nema 14-50.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 76
I live in Irvine and I had two Powerwall 2 battery packs installed with my solar. During install they included a Nema 14-50 outlet. The problem is that the Tesla Wall Connector is designed to be hardwired. I could replace the 14-50 outlet with the Wall Charger, but I prefer to keep the outlet. I found a 4-foot 14-50 (50 amp) male plug to bare wire which will allow me to keep the Nema outlet and use the Tesla Wall charger. In the comments section of the plug and cord, other Tesla owners have used this cord.
I am sorry, I feel I almost follow you. Are you plugging your UMC into the NEMA 14-50 that was installed for you? If so, what is the relevance of the wire you found? That would be to wire up the HPWC, but that does seem to be okay by Tesla, and you are not saying you did that. Is that your plan then?

@ponzu. I am taking the guidance from others that have already purchased the cable and retrofitted it to the Wall Connector. I purchased the cable and I am waiting to get my VIN assigned before I order the Wall Connector. Looking at the manual for the Wall Connector, it looks to be an easy install. Supposedly, Tesla is about to release another version of the charger for the Tesla 3 with a Nema 14-50 plug. Google Tesla 1050068-01 and you will see what looks like some early releases likely being sold illegally without warranty on eBay. There is also a YouTube video

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-30 at 9.10.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-30 at 9.10.54 PM.png
    127.3 KB · Views: 75
Can someone PM me some electricians? Need to upgrade my old 100amp panel to a 200amp and install a 100 amp circuit for the charger. (I know I can probably get away with just my 100am panel and a 50 amp circuit... but I just want to have flexibility for future upgradeability/ future proofing).