Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need help deciding between Performance and Long Range Model 3?

Would you choose a Performance or Long Range Model 3?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The LR's top speed is more than double the highest speed limit here; I'm not ever going to be going anywhere near that top speed. Nor do I intend to drag race, so I don't need that extra acceleration. And those nicer wheels lower the top speed, which is of interest to those who want the speediest, and are more susceptible to failure. Of all the things I could have done differently, getting the P is not one of them.

Top speed in stock form is more determined by the type of tire you have. The Performance with the 20 inch come with PS4S tires that can easily do 162mph but the 18 inch stock wheels shouldn't be taken to those speeds. Also, the 20 inch come with stiffer sidewalls which aid in high speed runs vs. the thicker but less stiff sidewalls you have on the 18s.

I haven't read the whole thread, but for others reading this in the future, the stealth is the obvious answer. Take all the best from the LR AWD and all the best from the Performance and get the no-compromise stealth. I know some advocate buying the performance and selling the wheels, but the 18's that come on the LR AWD are pretty light at 21 pounds so they are a darn good wheel (but sure, they are common). If a genuine stealth can't be found, then get the Performance.

• Love
Reactions: Spacep0d
I haven't read the whole thread, but for others reading this in the future, the stealth is the obvious answer. Take all the best from the LR AWD and all the best from the Performance and get the no-compromise stealth. I know some advocate buying the performance and selling the wheels, but the 18's that come on the LR AWD are pretty light at 21 pounds so they are a darn good wheel (but sure, they are common). If a genuine stealth can't be found, then get the Performance.

Stealths are a thing of the past, correct?

Other than a weird couple months I think early this year where you could specifically order a P3D- online for the same price as the P3D+, the stealth hasn't been available for actual order since 2018....though they'd occasionally have batches of them show up in inventory anyway at various points in 2019 for a mere 2k above a LR AWD... (that seemed to fade away after the acceleration boost came out)

Pretty sure they still exist. I know we just had a local pick up a stealth Y, which is absolutely what I'd get if I was getting a Y. They are pretty darn hard to find though and you just need to put in a few zip codes and search existing inventory. I helped a guy find one online in August or so. Unicorns though, good luck. Like Knightshade said, you can't outright order one.

If you are under 30 or over 50 get the Performance, if you between 30 and 50 get the LR. Basically what i mean is look at your needs and decide. We cannot decide for you. Do you have kids, do you want to be more safe and cautious driver, you are driving to the cabin in the weekends and don't want to charge much, take the LR. Do you just want to have fun with your buddies or your gf or even yourself going for a drive then take the performance.
I am 40 so the performance made no sense for me. I needed a 4WD, with a trailer hook and long range to i can reach the cabin without charging. So the performance was an unnecessary overkill for me with the 20'' wheels that would be slaughtered in gravel roads...
I agree with your list of arguments, it is always best you make the decision in the end :)

Reactions: BetterSlowDown
Pretty sure they still exist. I know we just had a local pick up a stealth Y, which is absolutely what I'd get if I was getting a Y. They are pretty darn hard to find though and you just need to put in a few zip codes and search existing inventory. I helped a guy find one online in August or so. Unicorns though, good luck. Like Knightshade said, you can't outright order one.

Thanks guys, appreciate the messages.

Also it could be worth considering that many states offer EV rebates/tax incentives even while the Federal credit has expired. And for most or all of them, they limit rebates to EVs under a certain msrp. So if someone were to purchase a M3LR in Maine for example, they would get a 2k rebate making the car only 45k (or in my view, simply making the car .5 seconds faster for free)

So for someone in a state like NJ or Maine, the calculus is different. For me it's a 3.7 second car vs a 3.1 second car for 8k difference. Hard to justify about a 1300.00 dollars per 1/10th of a second :p

• Funny
Before the update, I would have said performance. But with the new batteries and with 350+ of range, that's unbeatable value. Just get the performance boost if its not fast enough for you but still this is a great car.

Both cars have the same battery though right, post-refresh? The range difference is purely those 20" wheels?

(And I guess the quoted Performance range now is just the same as what the LR AWD was last year).

they do pop up here and there.
I.e. For the first 3 months in australia you couldnt buy an AWD. You had to either buy a SR+ or a Stealth Performance or Performance. The price of the Stealth Performance was the same as the AWD.
I suspected this was a corporate decision due to the high price of the Tesla in Australia ( 75-80k USD for a performance, 67-70k for an AWD/StealthP), however, 3 months after release the removed the Stealth performance and replaced it with the AWD for the same price.

The interesting thing is that the AWD these days comes with 19" tires (and performance with 20" tires) whereas the stealth performance always came with 18" tires. This is quite unique because you get the "performance" but also knock out 480km out of fresh battery and are quite resistant to potholes. The Performance model gets like 15% less and hitting a pothole is not going to be pretty. Not insignificant with the inadquate fast charging infastructure and long travel distances in Aus.

they do pop up here and there.
I.e. For the first 3 months in australia you couldnt buy an AWD. You had to either buy a SR+ or a Stealth Performance or Performance. The price of the Stealth Performance was the same as the AWD.
I suspected this was a corporate decision due to the high price of the Tesla in Australia ( 75-80k USD for a performance, 67-70k for an AWD/StealthP), however, 3 months after release the removed the Stealth performance and replaced it with the AWD for the same price.

The interesting thing is that the AWD these days comes with 19" tires (and performance with 20" tires) whereas the stealth performance always came with 18" tires. This is quite unique because you get the "performance" but also knock out 480km out of fresh battery and are quite resistant to potholes. The Performance model gets like 15% less and hitting a pothole is not going to be pretty. Not insignificant with the inadquate fast charging infastructure and long travel distances in Aus.

AWD in Aus automatically gets 19in wheels? Whatttt