Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need help deciding on a purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, can anyone give me their thoughts on these two options here for a 2023 Used Model Y?

I like that both have FSD, and I think they should have Hardware 4 since they are 2023, but obviously I will ask.

I guess my biggest question is the wheels...am I right that 21' wheel will not ride as comfortably as the 19"?

I am a newbie to Tesla so if there is something(s) am I not considering or anything I should keep in mind, please let me know.

Thanks,

Justin
Monosnap New & Used Electric Cars | Tesla 2024-05-05 07-24-53.png

For a similar price and mileage, I would choose the MY Performance over the MY LR just because of the Track Mode.
which could not be added to the Model Y LR, even when getting the Acceleration Boost upgrade.

I might never perform any drifting, but to be able to activate the front wheel motor when I want,
like when driving on a curvy or a snowy road, would make me very happy and more confident.

Otherwise, you don't have control of the front motor, who gets mostly activated when doing strong accelerations,
from what I can noticed when looking at the phone App "Scan My Tesla", somethinhg that I would recommend to have.

I might swap the wheels for better comfort and increased range, when getting a new set of tires.
Especially if the rims are not damaged since I could sell them very easily.

Last edited:
For a similar price and mileage, I would choose the MY Performance over the M3 LR just because of the Track Mode.
which could not be added to the Model Y LR, even when getting the Acceleration Boost upgrade.

I might swap the wheels for better comfort and better range, when getting a new set of tires.
If the rims are not damaged I could sell them very easily.
Thanks for the insight I appreciate it

We have a 2023 MYP, and when we test drove both a MYLR and MYP, we didn’t notice a difference in ride quality. The MY was upgraded to HW4 sometime during 2023, but I don’t recall when so you would need to verify that the car has HW4, it might not.

I test drove a 2023 MYLR and ended up leasing a 2024 MYPerf.

The MYPerf is a better riding vehicle in every way. The suspension damping is better sorted, the ride is quieter and it has more power (obviously).

I got the Performance for the occasional track day and did wonder about how different the ride would be over the demo …. and it turned out to be much better.

One possible item of significant note: my Performance has the Hankook ION EVO tires vs the Michelin AS4 tires. I’m not sure what tires the demo 2023 MYLR had but it was a lot of road noise and the ride was near-harsh.

-

Ride quality is totally subjective.

I find it hard to believe that any MYP, any year, with 21" wheels, would ride better than a MYLR with 19".

My opinion, of course, but the buyer should test drive BOTH versions in his own region and draw his own conclusions.

Those used prices look the same as new; why not consider a new one?
They have FSD so they’re “discounted” if you believe FSD is worth anywhere near $8k.

But I generally agree those prices are nutso.

@justinishere , are you not eligible for the federal tax credit? If you are, I would 100% buy a new car with a full warranty and without FSD, then subscribe to FSD for $99/mo if you really want it.

If I were to pick between the two, it would be the Performance hands down. They are the same price. It is also White interior ($2,000 option when you), if you like White that is (I do). But yes, as other have mentioned, if no actual FSD, you may consider buying new (assuming you qualify for the tax credit / rebate).

If I were to pick between the two, it would be the Performance hands down. They are the same price. It is also White interior ($2,000 option when you), if you like White that is (I do). But yes, as other have mentioned, if no actual FSD, you may consider buying new (assuming you qualify for the tax credit / rebate).
Even with FSD, new looks better since you can subscribe to FSD for 99/month (if in the end you like it)

They have FSD so they’re “discounted” if you believe FSD is worth anywhere near $8k.

But I generally agree those prices are nutso.

@justinishere , are you not eligible for the federal tax credit? If you are, I would 100% buy a new car with a full warranty and without FSD, then subscribe to FSD for $99/mo if you really want it.
Unfortunately, I do not qualify for the tax credit.