Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need Help - Drag Strip Mode on LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Brand new MS LR; 32 miles on odometer

I tested out Drag Strip Mode, by accident actually. I was just pulled off onto the side of the road going through the set up process, and I came across a button for dragstrip mode.

The engine started preparing for a launch, so I waited for it to finish; actually, couldn’t figure out how to turn it off.

The performance was quite impressive, although I had no room to really test it out.

Problem: now the vehicle has been parked for 30 minutes and it’s still making a loud humming noise like it’s preparing for a launch.

How long until it normally shuts off or should I text for service?

It’s very loud. Sounds like a semi truck.

This is the image prior to hitting reset; I wondered if that looks abnormal:

Attachments

• 1687907125213.jpeg
    1687907125213.jpeg
    203.1 KB · Views: 146
Upvote 0
You have to manually disable drag strip mode by pressing the button again when you are finished with it.

If you do not do that, drag strip (or track mode if the LR's have that) mode stays activated, and the fans will be running in high even when you get out of the car.
That is precisely what happened.
I’ll have to look at the manual closer next time. 🙃

Reactions: Sam1
Upvote 0
FYI - this mode has absolutely no effect on the LR's times that I could measure in over 100 acceleration runs. A note about this is my ambient temps were at least 70F and under 95F. So maybe if significantly hotter, or colder, it might make a difference. Otherwise it just makes a lot of noise and uses energy for no purpose.

Upvote 0
FYI - this mode has absolutely no effect on the LR's times that I could measure in over 100 acceleration runs. A note about this is my ambient temps were at least 70F and under 95F. So maybe if significantly hotter, or colder, it might make a difference. Otherwise it just makes a lot of noise and uses energy for no purpose.
I wondered whether it could beat the marketed time of 3.1 or if 3.1 was only with launch mode.
Regardless, it seemed faster than my 2020/2021 MSLR.
Might have also just been “smoke and mirrors.”

Upvote 0
I wondered whether it could beat the marketed time of 3.1 or if 3.1 was only with launch mode.
Regardless, it seemed faster than my 2020/2021 MSLR.
Might have also just been “smoke and mirrors.”
I've written extensively on this in previous posts. It doesn't matter what I did, the results didn't seem to track with what mode it was in. No real difference in SoC, mode, weather, AC, time of day, first run, last run, drag strip mode, tires at low PSI or high, etc. You name it, I tried it. It might make a difference on the Plaid, but the LR was too slow to likely matter for a lot of this.

Let's be real, the M3P doesn't do any of this shite and it runs quicker than the MS LR to 60 without any issue. No special prep, track mode, etc. My hypothesis is the wimpy LR powertrain does nothing to tax the battery or chassis compared to the Plaid. Not even remotely pushing the limits of it from what I saw. I think this is clearly reflected in reflected in how quick my LR was at even a pretty low SoC. Its times were close enough to a full charge as to be within the margin of error of my runs. My runs could vary by easily .1 or .2 seconds, on back to back runs. My M3 LR w/boost is a lot more consistent. The MS LR would run 3.4x one run, then 3.6x, then high 3.3x, then 3.50 and then lay down a bunch of 3.4x +/- .02 seconds for 4 runs in a row.

Upvote 0
I've written extensively on this in previous posts. It doesn't matter what I did, the results didn't seem to track with what mode it was in. No real difference in SoC, mode, weather, AC, time of day, first run, last run, drag strip mode, tires at low PSI or high, etc. You name it, I tried it. It might make a difference on the Plaid, but the LR was too slow to likely matter for a lot of this.

Let's be real, the M3P doesn't do any of this shite and it runs quicker than the MS LR to 60 without any issue. No special prep, track mode, etc. My hypothesis is the wimpy LR powertrain does nothing to tax the battery or chassis compared to the Plaid. Not even remotely pushing the limits of it from what I saw. I think this is clearly reflected in reflected in how quick my LR was at even a pretty low SoC. Its times were close enough to a full charge as to be within the margin of error of my runs. My runs could vary by easily .1 or .2 seconds, on back to back runs. My M3 LR w/boost is a lot more consistent. The MS LR would run 3.4x one run, then 3.6x, then high 3.3x, then 3.50 and then lay down a bunch of 3.4x +/- .02 seconds for 4 runs in a row.
So likely just a gimmick.
Regardless of the gimmick, I don’t think it’s accurate to characterize the LR as having a wimpy powertrain since it certainly does 0-60 in under 3.5 but I suppose everything is relative.
Admittedly, it was fun to wait for the launch; plenty of anticipation. But your likely right, mostly just smoke and mirrors or … lots of whirrrrr, flashing lights, and mirrors.

Upvote 0
The fans going off and other things may not be entirely for better 0-60 times, but for optimizing of the battery to prevent damage and allow you to maybe launch more than once. No smoke and mirrors, not always better time, but added protection.
Tough to say about any of that. After all my runs, car operated in very hot weather, my battery degradation was 1% or less after 15 months. I could do 10 back to back runs without doing anything special and the car ran just as good as it did whether I did drag strip mode or not. Again I think they optimized things for the Plaid and the LR has only ~60% of its power.

So likely just a gimmick.
Regardless of the gimmick, I don’t think it’s accurate to characterize the LR as having a wimpy powertrain since it certainly does 0-60 in under 3.5 but I suppose everything is relative.
Admittedly, it was fun to wait for the launch; plenty of anticipation. But your likely right, mostly just smoke and mirrors or … lots of whirrrrr, flashing lights, and mirrors.
I was joking. An almost 700HP car isn't wimpy, unless you compare it to the Plaid. The problem is it doesn't weigh that much more than the M3P, which has a lot less power, and the M3P still beats it to 60 mph. Tesla screwed the LR owners. For some, it might not matter, for me it did. That is why the Plaid is in my garage and the LR is gone. If my LR had ran 3.1 or better, I'd likely still have it.

Knowing what I know now, and the ability to for me to exit my LR and get into a Plaid for the what my out of pocket was, it was absolutely the right choice for me to go with the Plaid over my LR. Absolutely no regrets and not a single day goes by that I ever regret getting rid of the LR. My Y I had buyers remorse from after about the first month I owned the car and had to deal with all the phantom braking issues. For the MS LR it was every time I got on it hard from a light.

This was less of an issue when I was driving in Florida where I had more open spaces to drive. In Texas I deal with a lot more dense traffic and a lot of stops and 30 mph speed limits. This just reinforced everything I disliked about the MS LR's off the line performance. YMMV of course.

Reactions: Sam1
Upvote 0