Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need help on a question on fitting 2 bikes in the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello.

I could not find the answer to this question.

Can you fit 2 adult bikes in the back of the Model Y, assuming if you take the front wheel off? I ordered my Model Y with a hitch and just found out the max weight to carry a bike rack is 160 lbs. That is not enough because EV bikes weigh in at 70 plus lbs each. Add in the 40 lb rack and that is beyond the limit.

You can get 2 eBikes inside, but man it’s a bit of origami.

If you haven’t already ordered your car you might consider shopping for a third party hitch Instead of the factory one. I thought there was one with a higher weight capacity. You’ll lose out on tow mode and wiring, but if you just want the hitch rack it’s worth it.

I'm getting a MY with tow package on Friday and plan on using it for my two eBikes. My rack is 46 lbs and my eBikes are 62 and 65 lbs, bringing the total weight to 173 lbs. But my eBikes also have 8.5 lb batteries, which I will always remove before loading the bikes. The 17 lbs will bring the weight down to 156 lbs, which is just below the 160 lbs. I personally think the 160 is a conservative number and there is no way I would ever attempt to load those two beasts into the back. Not only because it would be extremely tedious and frustrating, if even possible, but because I am certain both my bikes and Model Y would get damaged.

Also, some eBike locks can get over 5 lbs, so keep those in the back of your car while transporting. You are fine locking up the bikes when parked, since weight related damage will typically only happen when you hit large bumps, etc.

Last edited:
I'm getting a MY with tow package on Friday and plan on using it for my two eBikes. My rack is 46 lbs and my eBikes are 62 and 65 lbs, bringing the total weight to 173 lbs. But my eBikes also have 8.5 lb batteries, which I will always remove before loading the bikes. The 17 lbs will bring the weight down to 156 lbs, which is just below the 160 lbs. I personally think the 160 is a conservative number and there is now way I would ever attempt to load those two beasts into the back. Not only because it would be extremely tedious and frustrating, if even possible, but because I am certain both my bikes and Model Y would get damaged.
That is a good point about the battery weight. Without the batteries, I would only be about 10-15 over the limit which is acceptable. And these bikes are so heavy I can easily see myself accidently breaking a side window while wrestling with the bike getting it in the back

From prior research, I learned Tesla is one of the only companies that even provides a vertical load weight, because most tow hitches only report a maximum tongue weight (which is typically 10% of the towing capacity). In regards to the Tesla hitch capable of towing 3,500 lbs, that is a maximum tongue load weight of 350 lbs. Some people believe Tesla's 160 lb documentation may actually be a typo from converting kg to lbs, since the maximum tongue load weight is 160 kg (or 352 lbs). This web link discusses hitches that hold heavy electric wheelchairs and they clearly consider tongue weight to be the same as Tesla's vertical load weight: Toyota Mobility | Hitch load Guidelines

Reactions: Eto Demerzel
Tesla hitch is Class 2. 300lb tw.
No issue putting bikes on the back.

Maybe not recommended, especially if you hit a pothole or a bump,
but using Google, you can find many pictures of Model Y carrying a dirt bike.

Tesla-Model-Y-tow-hitch-with-dirt-bike 2.jpeg

About the tow hitch weight limitation, I think the issue is that the tow bar is bolted
to the rear bumper beam and not bolted to the chassis of the vehicle, like in the case of a truck.

The rear bumper itself is designed to absorb impacts from an horizontal force direction,
while the weight on the tow hitch creates a vertical force on the rear body panel.

The rear body panel is not a rigid structure like the chassis of the car
because the body panel is designed to absorb shocks.

Also the tow bar is attached using four bolts on each side,
and the size of those bolts might be the origin of the vertical weight limitation.

Reactions: Tonedog77