Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need opinion from those who upgraded to refresh model

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

hydro 481

Sep 4, 2017
USA
I'm a current model 3 owner looking to purchase a model x. I'm debating between a 2020 or 2022 refresh. Saw someone on Youtube mention the refresh interior is significantly better when it comes to build quality. Is this true? In your opinion, is the interior that big of an upgrade? Thank you.

I'm a current model 3 owner looking to purchase a model x. I'm debating between a 2020 or 2022 refresh. Saw someone on Youtube mention the refresh interior is significantly better when it comes to build quality. Is this true? In your opinion, is the interior that big of an upgrade? Thank you.
Yes. IMO, the upgrade that is part of the 2022, is quite significant, including build quality improvement. I have had zero opportunity to check out the service center. Mine has had no need to take it in, for anything. Heck, it even fully opens the driver door when I walk up to it. No squeaks, rattles or vibrations at any speed.

I did have it aligned shortly after delivery, which improved its efficiency by quite a bit. Often the estimated range, exceeds the rated range.

Yes. IMO, the upgrade that is part of the 2022, is quite significant, including build quality improvement. I have had zero opportunity to check out the service center. Mine has had no need to take it in, for anything. Heck, it even fully opens the driver door when I walk up to it. No squeaks, rattles or vibrations at any speed.

I did have it aligned shortly after delivery, which improved its efficiency by quite a bit. Often the estimated range, exceeds the rated range.
Thanks. Was there a recent update that opens the door fully? From the videos I've seen, people complained about it only being open partially. Do you notice any difference with the falcon doors? I've heard they were re-worked or something?

One has a wheel, the other has a yoke

Palladium ("refresh") Model X from 2022 came with yoke steering, but they can be retrofitted for a steering wheel. The retrofit doesn't give turn signal / gear shift stalks however.

Coming from a Model 3, the 2020 will probably feel more familiar (see above...the "refresh" took away the turn signals and gear shift stalks). The instrument cluster display is less functional on the 2022 compared to the 2020 but if you're coming from a Model 3, you might not care about that.

Bruce.

Reactions: hydro 481
Thanks. Was there a recent update that opens the door fully? From the videos I've seen, people complained about it only being open partially. Do you notice any difference with the falcon doors? I've heard they were re-worked or something?
Nope, nothing on either. My driver door has always worked, it opens partially if it is in a tight spot (supposed to do that). The only time it does not work properly is if the door is caught by the wind. My FWD have always worked perfectly. Now I admit I don’t use them often, I am part of a two person household and they are used fairly infrequently.

Coming from a 2019 model 3 I'd love a 2022 refresh but one thing that is pretty crazy is the pricing differences. I see nice 2020 and 2021 6 seaters for 60-65k but a 2022 will be 83k or higher.
Yea you're right it's a sizable difference in price. I've seen a few 2020 Model X under 60K around here. Even a 2020 Performance for around that much. Cheapest I've seen a 2022 Plaid Model X was 80K. It's strange how the 2022 Plaid and Long Range are so close in price. It's only a 3.5K difference when comparing both with 6 seat option.

'18 M3P to '22 X Plaid owner here. I had a loaner older X, interior was ass IMO. Refresh is the only way to go if you're coming from a 3.

I'm McLoving my X, so much more my style, the visablity, height, room, etc. The redickulous power is just icing on the cake. I felt like driving a coffin when I got back into my 3, and I grew up with Camaros, E36, WRXs, Golf R, etc back in the day. Guess I'm just turning into an old fart and am starting to value my comfort and ease of getting in/out of the car more.

Reactions: NJturtlePower
I traded in my 2019 3 with fsd transfer to a 2023 X Plaid with steering wheel and 20 inch wheels. Power/acceleration is ridiculous esp merging onto the highways. One thing that takes getting used to is the turn signals now that it is on the wheel (shifting is intuitive on the screen). I took it in b/c felt some vibrations at high speeds (turned out that some of the tires were faulty since they couldn’t get them to balance). They gave me a loaner pre- refreshed X and it did feel outdated with the air vents and vertical screen.