Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need Sale Feedback-2016 Model S60

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cnasty

Jun 20, 2016
Dallas
Hi all,

Our family recently found out we are adding another addition and our S size isn't going to work anymore.

Has anyone had any success or suggestions on best places, ways, or items to sell a Tesla as I assume going to Joe Dealership will be a nightmare.

Right now an X isn't an option and we will need something bigger than our S.

It absolutely pains me to sell my S but I have no choice and I may even be upside down as we just got it recently but unsure.

Unsure if this is the right place but feedback will be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks Community. :)

For the most part selling a Tesla is the same as selling any other car. You’ll likely get the most from it by selling it yourself as a private sale, but that can be more complicated as you’ll need to be available to let people see the car and test drive it. Having a loan on the car and being upside down on it can also make a private sale more difficult, but none of these are insurmountable obstacles.

If you are purchasing another vehicle you can always see what the dealership will give you for your car and in some states there are tax advantages to doing a trade in if you have equity in the vehicle as you only get taxed on the net cost of the new car, but that’s not the case for all states. Trading it in at the dealer will definitely be easier as you won’t have to worry about the loan and if you are upside down you may even be able to roll the extra amount into the new loan (of course whether this is a good idea or not is a whole different discussion, but it may be an option). But the trade off for convenience is that you won’t get as much for the car.

You could also try Carmax or one of the other car buying companies, but typically with ‘specialty’ or ‘exotic’ cars like Tesla’s they don’t really want to deal with them and will give you a pretty low offer. If you are desperate and really need to get rid of the car fast that might be an option, but you aren’t likely to do well selling it there.

There are a lot of cars that get sold here on the forum, so starting here might be a good idea... post some pictures of the car and it’s mileage and options. If you have the original sticker definitely post a picture of that too.

Reactions: Cnasty
For the most part selling a Tesla is the same as selling any other car. You’ll likely get the most from it by selling it yourself as a private sale, but that can be more complicated as you’ll need to be available to let people see the car and test drive it. Having a loan on the car and being upside down on it can also make a private sale more difficult, but none of these are insurmountable obstacles.

If you are purchasing another vehicle you can always see what the dealership will give you for your car and in some states there are tax advantages to doing a trade in if you have equity in the vehicle as you only get taxed on the net cost of the new car, but that’s not the case for all states.

There are a lot of cars that get sold here on the forum, so starting here might be a good idea... post some pictures of the car and it’s mileage and options. If you have the original sticker definitely post a picture of that too.

Thank you for the feedback. I figured it would be a little different than a normal car especially with dealerships not knowing what to price it at. We need to move to a big SUV or something of that size. With 2 kids its a fantastic family car...3 and now it becomes obsolete for our family.

I will see if I can find the sticker but here are some pics throughout the year of ownership and some details on it:

AP1
Black leather/Black paint
Panoramic roof
Luxury package or what it was called?
Power lift gate
Black wood inside....forgot the name

Attachments

• IMG_0014.JPG
    IMG_0014.JPG
    485.1 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0534.JPG
    IMG_0534.JPG
    181.8 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0535.JPG
    IMG_0535.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0536.JPG
    IMG_0536.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_2247.JPG
    IMG_2247.JPG
    299.9 KB · Views: 94
The reason I'd mentioned VIN is to get an idea of build date. There were 2 magor refreshes in 2016, one in spring with the new no second/battery and another in October adding AP 2.0. A car made in March will be worth a lot less than one made in September, and one made in November will be worth a bit more still.

I'd pay somewhere between 40K-50K depending on date, but there seems to be a hot market for the lower end cars, so I'd probably list it somewhere between 50 K and 60 K and see if you could get takers. It never ceases to amaze me but it's not uncommon to see people buy the entry level S for within spitting distance of its new price after tax incentives.

3 kids in an S is very do-able. You are going to take a big hit on the car selling this soon. Do you have a second vehicle you can replace to make the kid mobile that may be further along the depreciation schedule?

The Model S is our ‘larger’ vehicle.
We even have a model X as a loaner right now and still miss our S (though the kids love the X doors)
1F49183F-4FB1-4375-B41E-DDF7951A73AF.jpeg

3 kids in an S is very do-able. You are going to take a big hit on the car selling this soon. Do you have a second vehicle you can replace to make the kid mobile that may be further along the depreciation schedule?

The Model S is our ‘larger’ vehicle.
We even have a model X as a loaner right now and still miss our S (though the kids love the X doors)
View attachment 254379

That backseat looks like the thing of nightmares as a parent ;)

We have another vehicle we were in line for the 3 on but that’s changing.

Reactions: JPUConn
Find a CPO with the rear facing seats. Our original reason for looking at the S was because it was a sedan that could seat 7 (2 being children in the RFS). I will tell you it is easier loading then up in the Rear seats with a car seat in the second row than loading them up in our SUV. Just a thought.

You should read my post a month back on selling my s with only 11700 miles. Basically I tried all the online dealers and carmax. In the end sold to vroom for 54k. Sticker was 75k, august 2016 delivery. Vroom already have it in pending sale at 60,700. They came and picked it up, very easy process. Having said that, a private sale would have netted probably 59k. But I also bought a car from vroom realizing some savings on tax.

That backseat looks like the thing of nightmares as a parent ;)

That backseat looks normal to me.

I will tell you it is easier loading them up in the Rear seats with a car seat in the second row than loading them up in our SUV.

Agreed. My wife did not enjoy getting our 3 kids in and out of our Tahoe SUV because it's high off the ground. I showed her the pic of the S above and she said that would have been much easier than the Tahoe and, more importantly to her, easier to park -- which you do a lot as a parent. I would re-think losing a ton of money on the sale and then also paying for gas -- especially since kids turn you into a taxi driver real fast as they get older if they're anything like mine with all the sports and activities they're involved in.