Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need Some advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Finally joined the Tesla family and experience has been interesting to say the least...What I am in search for is some advise on who I should contact if anyone...and that if someone has any kind of similar experience and whats the expectation for them to make it right if any.

I have sent emails already to the Delivery Manager/Store Manager

Vin :
5YJ3E1EA4KF301767

Somethings that are bothersome so let me share the story with you so you can kind of get where I am coming from...

- Bought model 3 inventory car SR+ with 18 miles on the car took delivery of the car and took it to the shop to get some work done...tint windows/new wheels/etc...3/4 days after having the car received a call stating there was almost $4k damage to the car that was repaired...the shop noticed more damage which the delivery team took liability for but they wanted the car back into the body shop to get a fender replaced/painted and blended to match the rest of the car.

-The shop had already tinted the windows on the car and sold my wheels because I had ordered new ones to replace the aeros that were on the car.

-Delivery team were happy to take the car back but wanted the original wheels since I didn't have them anymore I paid retail price for them at Tesla service through the delivery team.

- They did help me find another car fairly quickly 2020 model 3 LR with 3 however within the time I bought the first car the price of the new ones went up and I paid the new price increase.

- they did offer me $1000 for the Inconvenience which is going to the shop to pay for the tint for the first car which leaves me with 0 the delivery team agreed to pay the shop for the tint for the inconvenience. They would not give me the money only the shop.

- the part that is bothersome is that at the end of all of this I get nothing for this issue that was not my fault to begin with in fact it cost me more money because I paid $1000 more for new car due to the price change...the original wheels were sold for about $1200 I had to buy new ones for $2624 no discount was offered to help me with this at all..3 weeks without a car and the constant back and forth just to deal with this...the shop is being made whole but me I am being pushed to the side and saying have a nice day.

- The gallery manager offered me $250 in merchandise credit and told me that I shouldn't have done anything to my car for 7 days to begin with because of the return window and that is why there is a return window? really? wow.
I bought a new car paid full price and this is where I am today.

Sounds to me you have a valid complaint to whatever Texas agency oversees consumer affairs, since you were sold a car represented as new that had undisclosed repairs (hail damage). Hopefully, you have documentation of the damage from the tint shop. If you have some proof of the damage/repair, then file a complaint with the state agency...perhaps also to the Texas Attorney General. It might grease a squeaky wheel at Tesla and be enough for the $1000 you say you require to be made whole.

Panel gaps are relatively common, and can often be adjusted for free if noticed at time of delivery (and even within a reasonable time after). I don't see you successfully claiming panel gaps as "damage".

You chose to buy new wheels. The tint shop quickly sold your old wheels. None of this was the fault of Tesla. You will have difficulty being made whole for the wheels.

Last edited:
Reactions: MRGEDU and afadeev
What I am asking is can I take legal action? Should Tesla compensate me? Will they?

If Tesla cares about public relations it should try to make you happy.

However, since Tesla has been concentrating on cutting staff, customer service... I am not hopeful for your case.

Of course, you can take legal actions but you should read the order agreement. I think the worst penalty that Tesla would suffer is to return your money without a single cent more for your inconveniences and additional expenses.

That means after the court ruling, you will need to return the original car back with the original wheels with original conditions (tinted windows need to be undone...)

Sounds like Tesla stepped up and respected your desire to return the car.

All the upgrades, tire switching, tinting etc that you did during the return window is 100% on you. It was your decision and your responsibility.

Tesla wants the car back in the condition they delivered it to you. Understandable.

If the price of your car goes up after you ordered it, you got a great deal. Tesla is only responsible to refund the amount you paid, not pay you a profit for the car you are returning.

If Tesla replace all the hail damaged panels with new factory fresh panels, not sure why you would want to return the car.

Sounds like they were willing to significantly compensate you for any inconvenience, but they are not really responsible for any modifications you made after taking delivery.

All the upgrades, tire switching, tinting etc that you did during the return window is 100% on you. It was your decision and your responsibility.

Tesla wants the car back in the condition they delivered it to you. Understandable.

If the price of your car goes up after you ordered it, you got a great deal. Tesla is only responsible to refund the amount you paid, not pay you a profit for the car you are returning.

If Tesla replace all the hail damaged panels with new factory fresh panels, not sure why you would want to return the car.

Sounds like they were willing to significantly compensate you for any inconvenience, but they are not really responsible for any modifications you made after taking delivery.

This. As unfortunate as it is for the buyer, this all the way.

Reactions: ZappCatt
Sounds to me you have a valid complaint to whatever Texas agency oversees consumer affairs, since you were sold a car represented as new that had undisclosed repairs (hail damage). Hopefully, you have documentation of the damage from the tint shop. If you have some proof of the damage/repair, then file a complaint with the state agency...perhaps also to the Texas Attorney General. It might grease a squeaky wheel at Tesla and be enough for the $1000 you say you require to be made whole.

Panel gaps are relatively common, and can often be adjusted for free if noticed at time of delivery (and even within a reasonable time after). I don't see you successfully claiming panel gaps as "damage".

You chose to buy new wheels. The tint shop quickly sold your old wheels. None of this was the fault of Tesla. You will have difficulty being made whole for the wheels.

completely agree and that is also what I am thinking

If Tesla cares about public relations it should try to make you happy.

However, since Tesla has been concentrating on cutting staff, customer service... I am not hopeful for your case.

Of course, you can take legal actions but you should read the order agreement. I think the worst penalty that Tesla would suffer is to return your money without a single cent more for your inconveniences and additional expenses.

That means after the court ruling, you will need to return the original car back with the original wheels with original conditions (tinted windows need to be undone...)

They already took the car back with the window tints

I dont think you are reading everything they had no choice but to take the car back because it was within the 7 day return policy and the new car they were able to find the price adjustment happen which end up costing me more money...compensate who? they only made the shop whole because they have a good relationship with them..I agree they are not responsible for any modifications thats all on me but I bought a brand new car and was never disclosed of any damages until 4 days after delivery.

Sucks about the undisclosed damage. Not sure what else you can legally expect though since Tesla took it back. You'd have better luck getting a correct answer consulting with a lawyer than posting on an internet forum, but I would seriously doubt that would be worth it in terms of potential upside.

But am I missing something? Did you only pay $1000 more? Or was it $1000 more than what you would have paid for a LR had you purchased it originally? Because if you only paid $1000 more to move to a LR from a SR+ (ignoring the wheels, tint, etc) then you got a great deal.

Sucks about the undisclosed damage. Not sure what else you can legally expect though since Tesla took it back. You'd have better luck getting a correct answer consulting with a lawyer than posting on an internet forum, but I would seriously doubt that would be worth it in terms of potential upside.

But am I missing something? Did you only pay $1000 more? Or was it $1000 more than what you would have paid for a LR had you purchased it originally? Because if you only paid $1000 more to move to a LR from a SR+ (ignoring the wheels, tint, etc) then you got a great deal.

I was only asking here to see if anyone had a better point of contact or better direction I really don't think they will do anything either..I went from SR+ full price to LR full price (the difference was the price increase that happen between the 2 purchases)

I dont think you are reading everything they had no choice but to take the car back because it was within the 7 day return policy and the new car they were able to find the price adjustment happen which end up costing me more money...compensate who? they only made the shop whole because they have a good relationship with them..I agree they are not responsible for any modifications thats all on me but I bought a brand new car and was never disclosed of any damages until 4 days after delivery.

They don’t have to take it back if there’s any modifications to the car - including window tint. Or they could have insisted the tint be removed at the customer’s expense prior to the return.

Either way, as a situation it sucks.