Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need to sell my new model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A better analogy would be paying $500k for a house with an empty pool, which might, eventually, be able to be filled up vs. a $450K house without one.
Point taken though...there's certainly a little apples to oranges here.

pool is a bad example because half of the buyers find it a positive, and half find it a negative. So it's really not going to add much to the price of the home, regardless of how much you spent on it.

OP, I don't get the reason why you think you need to sell your car.

You only have a 120 volt outlet (NOT 110)!!!!!!! in the garage? So we have these guys called electricians, see? Call one and get a 14-30 or 14-50 put in. Or at least a 6-20.

You've decided to start a family? So what? Kids are small, they'll fit in the back, and by the time they are 2 or 3 they'll be clambering into the back seat all by themselves. Why should you give up your dream of a car you like for some kids who will only whine, scream, cry, make messes, cost you money, and ultimately probably disappoint you? Do you want to look at them years later and think "I gave up my new Model 3 for YOU?"? I wouldn't even consider that if my wife were pregnant, I'm far too selfish and self-centered.

Keep your 3 until the Y is in volume production, then if you still think you need a Y, trade the 3 for a Y. Getting rid of the 3 now for a different car so you can buy a Y later makes absolutely no sense.

I have a 23 year old nephew who has got to be one of the biggest dumbasses on the planet, he clearly gets it from his dad. He was ok up until around 15 or so, then it's been all downhill from there. He doesn't listen to my solid life experience and advice at all, and boy am I glad I never gave up anything to give him a chance. Except some cash to buy him a beater Plymouth Neon because no one else could afford to get him a car. 6 months and 2 wrecks later, it was junked. My main thought was on what my hard earned cash had gone for and been wasted on, and this bonehead seemed to not care at all.

Last edited:
OP, I don't get the reason why you think you need to sell your car.

You only have a 120 volt outlet (NOT 110)!!!!!!! in the garage? So we have these guys called electricians, see? Call one and get a 14-30 or 14-50 put in. Or at least a 6-20.

You've decided to start a family? So what? Kids are small, they'll fit in the back, and by the time they are 2 or 3 they'll be clambering into the back seat all by themselves. Why should you give up your dream of a car you like for some kids who will only whine, scream, cry, make messes, cost you money, and ultimately probably disappoint you? Do you want to look at them years later and think "I gave up my new Model 3 for YOU?"? I wouldn't even consider that if my wife were pregnant, I'm far too selfish and self-centered.

Keep your 3 until the Y is in volume production, then if you still think you need a Y, trade the 3 for a Y. Getting rid of the 3 now for a different car so you can buy a Y later makes absolutely no sense.

I have a 23 year old nephew who has got to be one of the biggest dumbasses on the planet, he clearly gets it from his dad. He was ok up until around 15 or so, then it's been all downhill from there. He doesn't listen to my solid life experience and advice at all, and boy am I glad I never gave up anything to give him a chance. Except some cash to buy him a beater Plymouth Neon because no one else could afford to get him a car. 6 months and 2 wrecks later, it was junked. My main thought was on what my hard earned cash had gone for and been wasted on, and this bonehead seemed to not care at all.

If OP is renting (especially if corporate owned condos) they may not be willing to accommodate the electric changes, and since OP list he's in FL they may not have laws to require landlords accommodate such like in CA. Just a thought since OP wasn't super clear about his situation.

I do agree it's not the best idea to get rid of the 3, get something else, then get a Y later.

Hello very new here so hope this is okay. My wife and I are actually staying in our Condo that only has a 110 outlet in the garage and are going to start a family. I'm going to get a midsize car for the time being and hopefully transition to the Y once we buy a home and can charge accordingly. With all that being said I need to sell my car. Trading in is terrible cause these dealerships always try to screw you over. I only want to sell for a fair price or slightly under fair value for other Tesla enthusiasts. What would be a fair price for a perfect condition never filled to 100 % black 2019 Model 3 7200 miles Rear wheel Drive Full self driving. 53,700 Sticker price. I was thinking around 48,500? Do people sell on these Forums? Thanks for your help.

Take a look at EV-CPO.com and get an idea of prices. I’m seeing Model 3 Long Range RWD with under 100 miles going for ~$44k. Now yes that doesn’t include FSD, but FSD can be added to any of the cars at any time. It’s a little harder value when people can opt in to buying it later if they decide. I would maybe value it at 50% of what you would pay for it today on a new Model 3.

If you want to move the car fast(er) I think you’ll need to price it around $43-$45k. Above that and I think you’ll get a lot of people saying they would rather have 75 miles on the odometer and the option to buy FSD later...

For what it's worth we took our M3 our a 450 mile road trip with 3 kids (ages 6, 5, and 3) and it was awesome. One kid will be super manageable!!

Granted, we also have a GLS 450 that my wife uses for daily family stuff but still... if your main reason for offloading the M3 is because you want to start a family I don't think that should concern you.

Additionally - concerning the 110 Outlet. If you have access to a level 2 charge somewhere near you then you will be fine with that setup UNLESS you drive a lot of miles everyday.

Just my $0.02. Good luck!

Hello very new here so hope this is okay. My wife and I are actually staying in our Condo that only has a 110 outlet in the garage and are going to start a family. I'm going to get a midsize car for the time being and hopefully transition to the Y once we buy a home and can charge accordingly. With all that being said I need to sell my car. Trading in is terrible cause these dealerships always try to screw you over. I only want to sell for a fair price or slightly under fair value for other Tesla enthusiasts. What would be a fair price for a perfect condition never filled to 100 % black 2019 Model 3 7200 miles Rear wheel Drive Full self driving. 53,700 Sticker price. I was thinking around 48,500? Do people sell on these Forums? Thanks for your help.

Kyle, just get a wall charger and call an electrician so it’s easier to charge if that’s a concern. No need to sell the car if that’s the issue. $1000 w labor and the problem is solved.

As for the kids that you don’t have yet or the extra room you may or may not need, up to you if that a real reason to sell now. Good luck!

I think you're going to take a bigger loss than this. There is a video on YouTube where a guy picks up him Model 3 with like 10 miles on it and drives it directly to CarMax and they offer him like $12k less than he paid for it. Which is actually better than most cars, but still a significant hit.

You should take yours to CarMax and just see what they say. You're unlikely to get much more then what they offer even from a private sale.

Why do you need to get rid of it? The charging situation? Too expensive? It's relatively large and I don't think you'd have much trouble getting kids in and out of it, so I don't think you really need a "bigger" car to start a family.

Instead of losing thousands of dollars selling the car for an ICE, I would hold onto your current Tesla and save up for a house. Now you have a house and a Tesla. Then, if you want to, go for a Model Y.

I think Model 3 would make a family friendly car for two kids. It's also very safe, which is important if you have a family.

Reactions: Big Earl
A better analogy would be paying $500k for a house with an empty pool, which might, eventually, be able to be filled up vs. a $450K house without one.
Point taken though...there's certainly a little apples to oranges here.

No ... FSD these days (post-EAP) actually has a net present value. Lane change, NoA, Autopark & Summon are real features, and only available with FSD today.

Is it full FSD’s full capability? No. But not just hopes, dreams and wishes, either.

Reactions: SicEm2014