Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need your advice on my next purchase! Time to buy a Model S

Which option would you go with?

• 2016 CPO facelifted P90DL v3 battery & AP1 for 67k

Votes: 29 50.9%
  • 2018 75D with AP2.5 for $64K from local dealer

Votes: 28 49.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I’ve been an avid fan of Tesla and have lurked on the forum for quite some time. It’s finally time for me to jump in! Hoping to get your advice between these 2 options I’ve narrowed it down to:

- 2016 CPO facelifted P90DL with v3 battery & AP1 for 67k (comes in the exact ext/interior color I’m looking for)
- 2018 Used 75D with AP2.5 for $64K (ext color not my preferred but ok, local dealer not from Tesla)

Which one would you recommend going with? My main need for AP is essentially only long distance highway driving for weekend trips. It would rarely ever be in the city (if AP2.5 were to continue developing to level 3) as I love driving. 0-60 does matter quite a bit as I’m an adrenaline junkie, but the 75D was quite reasonable when I drove it.

Thanks for your input!

Tough choice. I’m typically sour on the P90D but I’d probably lean that way given those two options. AP1 is an incredibly capable driver assist system on the freeway. Everything that AP2+ has layered on top at this point is still in the “gimmick” category.

Also, the P90D has already taken its big depreciation hit - that 75D has a long way to fall yet (and it will accelerate in 6 months or so with the advent of AP3).

Tough choice. You cannot make a wrong decision here.

That DL is going to be very quick. The 75 is going to be quick but nothing like that DL. The 75 will have another 2y warranty. The DL may have lifetime free supercharging.

If you love the quick acceleration, get the DL. It is violently quick.

The only car I would ever trade mine for is a 100D because for me it’s all about the range. You are in a northern climate (not quite as far north as me) but on the coldest days I experience as much as 30-40% range loss. So, even if the P90D is marginally better in range, I would pick it because that is what I value most.

Thank you for the replies everyone, really appreciate the input!

-The 2016 P90DL has 30k miles - it would would come with a 4 year 50,000 mile warranty based on what the "owner advisor" has been telling me from tesla about the CPO. I'm assuming that's from the time I buy it correct?
-The 2018 is from a local dealer (not through Tesla) and has ~12,000 miles.

I've gotten a few messages about P100D's. I'm not in an urgent need of a car and could potentially wait to mid-end of 2019 at the most. Would it come down to ~70k by next December? Thanks again!

Everything that AP2+ has layered on top at this point is still in the “gimmick” category

I’m going to strongly disagree with this. Actual new features-wise, this might be true(though I find even the mostly suggestion-only navigate on AP reduces stress of driving more than plain lane-keeping). But AP2 is far more capable on different roads than AP1. Unless you’re driving exclusively on straight-line freeways, AP2 does a much better job staying in it’s lane and adjusting speed correctly for the road. And, of course, outside that, it has better blind spot warnings and general situational awareness. Plus, any future updates will come to AP2.

I’m going to strongly disagree with this. Actual new features-wise, this might be true(though I find even the mostly suggestion-only navigate on AP reduces stress of driving more than plain lane-keeping). But AP2 is far more capable on different roads than AP1. Unless you’re driving exclusively on straight-line freeways, AP2 does a much better job staying in it’s lane and adjusting speed correctly for the road. And, of course, outside that, it has better blind spot warnings and general situational awareness. Plus, any future updates will come to AP2.

Agree to disagree I guess. I’ve found AP1 and AP2 to be equally competent in freeway driver assistance, with AP1 being far smoother and capable until very recently.

Certainly the additional development is going to happen on the new platform, and AP2 will continue to improve, but avoiding the massive depreciation hit that 2018 75D is about to take would go a long way to make me feel better about that. Not to mention the performance of the P90D.

Agree to disagree I guess. I’ve found AP1 and AP2 to be equally competent in freeway driver assistance, with AP1 being far smoother and capable until very recently.

Certainly the additional development is going to happen on the new platform, and AP2 will continue to improve, but avoiding the massive depreciation hit that 2018 75D is about to take would go a long way to make me feel better about that. Not to mention the performance of the P90D.

Are the AP differences noticeable at all on the highway in general? or is it more along curvy rural roads for example? thank you

Are the AP differences noticeable at all on the highway in general? or is it more along curvy rural roads for example? thank you
From what I’ve seen, its mostly on curvy roads for just lane keeping. Probably the biggest difference, though, is how they handle onramps and offramps. I’ve had my car handle a 15mph sharp curve on an off ramp with no problem, without me needing to manually adjust anything.

Thank you for the replies everyone, really appreciate the input!

-The 2016 P90DL has 30k miles - it would would come with a 4 year 50,000 mile warranty based on what the "owner advisor" has been telling me from tesla about the CPO. I'm assuming that's from the time I buy it correct?
-The 2018 is from a local dealer (not through Tesla) and has ~12,000 miles.

I've gotten a few messages about P100D's. I'm not in an urgent need of a car and could potentially wait to mid-end of 2019 at the most. Would it come down to ~70k by next December? Thanks again!

I doubt the P100D will be down to $70K in the next 12 months.

Much appreciated. So would you wait another year before buying and going for a P100d once the prices fall, or pull the trigger on a P90DL now?

There have been several that’ve sold for <70K, but they go quick.

There will always be something better around the corner. The P85D, P90D, and P100D have unpleasantly violent acceleration, for me, anyway. The L variants add to the acceleration. If you plan to take it to the drag strip and take on supercars, the P100DL is the car. Otherwise any of them have far more acceleration than one is likely to use in normal driving. The cost differences are large. So it comes down to how often do you plan to use the incremental difference in acceleration and how much do you want to pay for that difference. The P85D is plenty to frighten passengers. The initial acceleration will be similar, as I understand it, but the differences become apparent as one reaches 50 MPH or so. At less than 50 MPH or whatever the correct number is, the electrical current output of the battery isn’t the acceleration limiting factor, the cars are traction limited. It’s only as you pick up speed that the electrical current limitations of the various batteries become the limiting factor. If you want to pass cars at 50-70 MPH with amazing acceleration, go for the bigger battery models.

If you want to smile as you floor it from a standing start, any dual motor Tesla will do that. The P models accelerate much quicker. The L models are quicker yet. The P100DL is in supercar territory. It is a bargain compared to the million dollar cars.

Check all this before relying on it, and I invite others to jump in if I have said anything that is less than fully accurate.

A story:
I had a Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo. It was factory rated at 299 HP. There was a bolt on kit available that increased boost and increased HP to 399. I did the upgrade. So the car was essentially a 400 HP car in a fairly light package. It got to 80 very quickly. After the initial “whee” experience, it was relatively rarely that I used that power. Opportunities just don’t come up that often. Don’t get me wrong, I am just as juvenile as ever, I’d still love to have a car that will blow away any other car on the road from a standing start, but when we go out to restaurants, family trips, any of the hundreds of various outings we do, the opportunity to blast to full acceleration just isn’t that often. Combine that realization with a $40K-$70K increased cost, well there are better uses for the money. Even if contributing it to charity, it is a better use of my money. My S75D is identical to the more expensive cars except the acceleration and range. I have 90% of the car for about half the money. When driving normally, I have 100% of the car. My decisions aren’t right for everyone, but they are right for me. Mine is a 4.2 second 0-60 car. I just don’t need to get to 60 one to two seconds quicker. Well, not very often, anyway.

So, my friend, about your question, I’d get the car I wanted now. There are a year of totally involuntary grins in the balance, and a year of those grins should not be given up lightly.

Wow tough call .

imo ap 2.5 is now better than AP1, but AP1 is no slouch in stop and go or on well marked, straight highways. The 75d is fast enough unless you want to race your nemesis' rs7 at a stoplight.

There are little improvements you would miss out on in the 2016. And the 90 batteries weren't Tesla's best.

That being said that is one cheap p90dl. I honestly don't know which I would take. Careful with Tesla CPO - condition of the car could play a significant role.

There will always be something better around the corner. The P85D, P90D, and P100D have unpleasantly violent acceleration, for me, anyway. The L variants add to the acceleration. If you plan to take it to the drag strip and take on supercars, the P100DL is the car. Otherwise any of them have far more acceleration than one is likely to use in normal driving. The cost differences are large. So it comes down to how often do you plan to use the incremental difference in acceleration and how much do you want to pay for that difference. The P85D is plenty to frighten passengers. The initial acceleration will be similar, as I understand it, but the differences become apparent as one reaches 50 MPH or so. At less than 50 MPH or whatever the correct number is, the electrical current output of the battery isn’t the acceleration limiting factor, the cars are traction limited. It’s only as you pick up speed that the electrical current limitations of the various batteries become the limiting factor. If you want to pass cars at 50-70 MPH with amazing acceleration, go for the bigger battery models.

If you want to smile as you floor it from a standing start, any dual motor Tesla will do that. The P models accelerate much quicker. The L models are quicker yet. The P100DL is in supercar territory. It is a bargain compared to the million dollar cars.

Check all this before relying on it, and I invite others to jump in if I have said anything that is less than fully accurate.

A story:
I had a Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo. It was factory rated at 299 HP. There was a bolt on kit available that increased boost and increased HP to 399. I did the upgrade. So the car was essentially a 400 HP car in a fairly light package. It got to 80 very quickly. After the initial “whee” experience, it was relatively rarely that I used that power. Opportunities just don’t come up that often. Don’t get me wrong, I am just as juvenile as ever, I’d still love to have a car that will blow away any other car on the road from a standing start, but when we go out to restaurants, family trips, any of the hundreds of various outings we do, the opportunity to blast to full acceleration just isn’t that often. Combine that realization with a $40K-$70K increased cost, well there are better uses for the money. Even if contributing it to charity, it is a better use of my money. My S75D is identical to the more expensive cars except the acceleration and range. I have 90% of the car for about half the money. When driving normally, I have 100% of the car. My decisions aren’t right for everyone, but they are right for me. Mine is a 4.2 second 0-60 car. I just don’t need to get to 60 one to two seconds quicker. Well, not very often, anyway.

So, my friend, about your question, I’d get the car I wanted now. There are a year of totally involuntary grins in the balance, and a year of those grins should not be given up lightly.

All P100D’s have Ludicrous plus and are P100DL. Tesla no longer puts “L” on a the tag since they all have ludicrous plus. The S goes 0 to 60 in 2.28 secs and has a range of 315 miles. Go test drive one, it is awesome - not just the acceleration but how it handles. I love it. Nothing like it and you may want to wait after trying it out.

Used CPO Tesla P90D’s are priced really well (for a Tesla) and seem like they are cheap compared to used 75s. The CPO P90DL may also have more options and comes with the bumper to bumper warranty that isn’t an option on a used car purchased at a dealership. All AP1 cars also came with transferable lifetime free Supercharging. The performance difference between the P90DL and P100DL are not that noticeable, both cars are incredibly quick cars that carry 8 year unlimited mile battery and drivetrain warranties. There really isn’t any reason other than condition that I would not choose the P90DL. Hyping AP2 as being superior at lane keeping on any road has given in to wishful thinking. The thing AP2 does seem to be superior at is keeping you on your toes with panic braking for signs and overpasses (not a relaxing feature). AP1 will negotiate incredibly curvy roads. The L adds a bit more performance but not in everyday driving because it relies on the battery being pre-heated for about 30 minutes, if your at the track yes but in everyday driving it’s just bragging rights to other Tesla owners.

Last edited: