TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

negative camber on the 19's?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by islandbayy, May 31, 2013.

1. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

Anyone here tell me if the negative camber is present on the 19" tires as well? Or is that just somthing for the 21's or performance versions?
    If so, I think I am going to have the alignment done and that reset. I want the maximum tire life out of this car.

2. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

I believe (from looking at the parts documentation) that there is only one set of suspension for MS (not counting Performance Plus which is a change in bushings - not geometry). I have also seen only one alignment specification. These two would indicate that MS carries the same rear camber settings without regard to tires/rims.

With resect to having an alignment done, the only camber adjustment available is "bolt slop" so there is no way to remove significant amounts of camber in the rear during an alignment.

3. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

The negative camber is there but because the sidewall is taller on the 19", there is less of an effect on tread life.

4. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

I was afraid so. I am not very happy with this negative camber. My tire pressure is spot on, and I am now seeing (feeling) my rear tires are heating up considerably after 20 minutes of freeway driving, and with 750 miles on the entire car, I am already seeing inside wear on the rears. And no, I'm not driving like a maniac (The occasional burst from a stop light or sign, but have been trying to drive for range).

5. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

Yep, been there, fixed that.

6. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

Tesla service center? Or on your own?

7. Volker.Berlin

Volker.Berlin Member