Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Neighbor has 310 mile "75D"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My neighbor recently got a new Model S 75D.

He previously had a 2015 Model S 70 so he knows Teslas in general but isn't ultra-savvy/obsessed like some of us here :)

I noticed it in his driveway on a walk and chatted him up for a bit. He said he upgraded because he wanted the dual motor and got one of the last 75Ds before Tesla discontinued them. He said he couldn't justify the costs of the 100kWh version.

I said I had a 75D as well and he asked me about my range. I told him when it was new it was rated for 259 but after 24 months with initial degradation, I get about 240 on a full charge.

He told me gets 310 on a full charge! He thought it was a mistake and so he fully charged a second time and got 310 again.

Given he got one of the very last 75Ds, do you think they ran out of 75 kWh batteries and slipped in an old stock 90 kWh they had laying around? A software limited 100 kWh? He thinks it is weird too, and said he (tongue in cheek) feared that Tesla was going to "realize their mistake and tell him they're going to do a software update to take away his extra range". But so far (a few weeks ownership) he reports his 310 range is staying put.

Anybody else heard or have anything like this? Seems weird.

My neighbor recently got a new Model S 75D.

He previously had a 2015 Model S 70 so he knows Teslas in general but isn't ultra-savvy/obsessed like some of us here :)

I noticed it in his driveway on a walk and chatted him up for a bit. He said he upgraded because he wanted the dual motor and got one of the last 75Ds before Tesla discontinued them. He said he couldn't justify the costs of the 100kWh version.

I said I had a 75D as well and he asked me about my range. I told him when it was new it was rated for 259 but after 24 months with initial degradation, I get about 240 on a full charge.

He told me gets 310 on a full charge! He thought it was a mistake and so he fully charged a second time and got 310 again.

Given he got one of the very last 75Ds, do you think they ran out of 75 kWh batteries and slipped in an old stock 90 kWh they had laying around? A software limited 100 kWh? He thinks it is weird too, and said he (tongue in cheek) feared that Tesla was going to "realize their mistake and tell him they're going to do a software update to take away his extra range". But so far (a few weeks ownership) he reports his 310 range is staying put.

Anybody else heard or have anything like this? Seems weird.

It definitely was not a 90 battery... my 90D brand new got 298 miles.

Interesting for sure. Especially the 310 number as that is the miles the new 'standard range' software limited 100 IIRC.

I tried to check but it seems the only options to currently order are long range and performance. The plot thickens.. LOL!

what should the range of a 2016 TMS 90D? Picked up my pre owned and before I purchased it, the paper work said 294 miles of range but at the service center it say 265/310. 265 is 30 off the 294 I was promised. Should I be making a service appointment? it has 52k miles. today in the garage at 87% charged its rated 227 and ideal 287.

Last edited:
what should the range of a 2016 TMS 90D? Picked up my pre owned and before I purchased it, the paper work said 294 miles of range but at the service center it say 265/310. 265 is 30 off the 294 I was promised. Should I be making a service appointment? it has 52k miles. today in the garage at 87% charged its rated 227 and ideal 287.

265 is about right for 50k miles. That's about where I'm at.

• Helpful
Reactions: OTARon