Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-50 adapter no longer included with vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Per Tesla - Beginning next week, new Tesla vehicles will no longer include a 14-50 adapter as standard equipment with the vehicle. A NEMA 5-15 adapter will continue to be included with the Mobile Connector as a backup for customers who take delivery prior to installation. The 14-50 will be moved to an ‘optional’ adapter in the same way we see dryer outlets (10-30, 14-30) and various other 240 volt plugs as more of a backup option for charging a Tesla vehicle.

Why we’re doing this:

The NEMA 14-50 outlet is a holdover from the original 2008 Tesla Roadster, when RV parks were the only reliable means of charging outside of major cities. With the Supercharger and Destination Charging networks now covering the vast majority of travel needs, very few customers continue to rely on this infrastructure. As more and more of our customers choose to install a Wall Connector, we’ve decided to recommend the Wall Connector for all newly installed infrastructure and remove the adapter from new vehicles.

Additionally, NEC 2017 introduces a GFCI requirement for outlets installed for electric vehicle charging. This requirement increases the cost of installations and can lead to false trips, creating a poor customer experience and increased service visits. With built in ground fault protection, the Wall Connector can utilize a standard circuit breaker and is the more reliable home charging solution.

Translation: We'd like to make an extra 500 bucks on each sale so we're going to push people to the HPWC.

How silly.

I'm not doubting the veracity of this, but what's the source?

Came from Tesla directly. I install the chargers for customers in my area.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-23 at 4.20.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-23 at 4.20.05 PM.png
    99.3 KB · Views: 1,804
the number that use a 14-50 adapter on a regular basis must be small enough that it's a significant cost savings to leave it out and inconvenience a handful of customers.

Not a chance. Spend a little time in the Model 3 battery/charging forum. I'd say a strong majority are using the UMC with 14-50 adapter as their primary charging solution.

Not a chance. Spend a little time in the Model 3 battery/charging forum. I'd say a strong majority are using the UMC with 14-50 adapter as their primary charging solution.

Just one data point, but the electrical firm who did my HPWC charger told me that 70-80% of their Tesla customers go with the UMC & 14-50 connector. They’ve done over Tesla 500 installs in the last few years. So I’d say you are correct.

Without the NEMA 14-50, how does an owner charge at home at 40 amps without buying a $500 HPWC? When not using a SC, my primary charging source in garage is the UMC with a 14-50 adapter. Charging at 29 mi/hr overnight has worked great and like that I didn't need to buy an accessory. However, it's a shame the UMC doesn't support 50A. I suspect the derating is due to plugs at both ends of UMC.

Without the NEMA 14-50, how does an owner charge at home at 40 amps without buying a $500 HPWC?
They buy the $35 14-50 adapter instead.

However, it's a shame the UMC doesn't support 50A. I suspect the derating is due to plugs at both ends of UMC.
The UMC doesn’t support 50 amps because the National Electric Code doesn’t allow it. The maximum allowable “continuous load” on a circuit is 80% of its rating (thus 40 amps on a 50 amp receptacle/circuit).

ImI about to get a 14-50 outlet installed in my garage. I already bought another UMC so I don't want to get a HPWC at this time. I also am likely to move in the next few years so I rather be able to take it and go.

Should I request my well electrician use a GFCI breaker despite the increase cost? Tesla's statement about poor experience also scares me though...

ImI about to get a 14-50 outlet installed in my garage. I already bought another UMC so I don't want to get a HPWC at this time. I also am likely to move in the next few years so I rather be able to take it and go.

Should I request my well electrician use a GFCI breaker despite the increase cost? Tesla's statement about poor experience also scares me though...

You don’t want the GFCI breaker if you can get away with it.

They are:

About $100 more than non GFCI
They don’t come in “tandem” form factors so if you have limited panel space you may have an issue
They are not made for all models of panels (though most)
They often fail or result in nuisance trips

So if you are just installing in a dry location like your garage, I would do non-gfci unless required to.

It pisses me off that they added this to electrical code just for EV’s when every EVSE has built in GFCI ability already. So this ONLY covers you for the connection from the EVSE to the wall. Unless that is in a wet location, you are not very likely to make use of the GFCI safety feature.

Until they require GFCI’s at every RV park (where people plug in constantly in the rain) then I think the code requirement just for EV’s is unfair.

Translation: We'd like to make an extra 500 bucks on each sale so we're going to push people to the HPWC.

How silly.

I'm not doubting the veracity of this, but what's the source?
The GFI requirement isn't their fault. Although I will say that I charger for years in a 14-50 without any issues so not sure the exact reasoning for NEC changes.

Reactions: neroden
The GFI requirement isn't their fault. Although I will say that I charger for years in a 14-50 without any issues so not sure the exact reasoning for NEC changes.

If you ask the NEC folks I am sure they will say “we have X incidences of people getting shocked each year”. GFCI can keep you from getting shocked, specifically in wet situations.

But the cynical side of me says that the industry manufacturers lobby really hard to expand GFCI and AFCI requirements as they earn like 10x as much on those breakers vs. regular ones. AFCI specifically seems like a dubious value proposition when you factor in the issues with nuance tripping.

Seems smart for Tesla. The safest and best for Teslas customers is to use the HPWC. The UMC is a mobil connector, I use mine for that mission when I travel off-system. If Tesla doesnt give their customers the 14-50 connector from the start they can say they aren't promoting that type regular use of the UMC, the customer must actively make that choice. Additionaly, at $35 for the 14-50 I would hardly call that a moneygrab..

I do see an issue where new customers will cheap out and try and run with a 120v 5-15 for as long as possible putting more strain on original house wiring. Most 120v plugs are in garages shared by other loads like freezers, compressors etc. This will cause more issues with new/inexperienced buyers.
I've always recommended a HPWC or a dedicated EV charger to new buyers, it just makes more sense.