Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-50 adapter no longer included with vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not really option. The 14-50 is the standard RV plug and the standard 50 amp plug for any businesses that install exterior outlets for EV charging. It's what my company has and still has for ev charging in additon the the J1772 chargers that came later.

This is just a way for Tesla to charge more.

They want everyone to clog up superchargers at $0.28+/kWh instead of the $25 outlet at home, apparently.

• Disagree
Reactions: doghousePVD
Tesla is certainly going to build cars with 72 or 80 amp charging capacity. How do you think the 200 kwh Roadster and Pickup will charge?
No. A car with a 200kWh pack will charge fine with the existing 48A charger. It won't charge from 0-100% overnight at 48A, but that's completely unnecessary, unless you're driving the Roadster 600 miles every day (who knows what the Pickup range will be).

Yes, someone will undoubtedly bitch and moan if their brand new 200k car can't fully recharge at home overnight, but it's not necessary to do so.

You need a charger powerful enough to replenish your daily driving overnight. That doesn't mean you need to refill the battery overnight. They are separate issues. It's about miles of range added per hour of charging, not % of battery added.

My S adds 29 mi of range per hour on a 14-50 (40A charging) and will fully charge its 85kWh battery in ~9 hours. 29 mph*9hrs = 261 miles, regardless of battery size. If my battery capacity magically increased to 850 kWh, I'll still add 261 mi in 9 hours. It would take days to go from 0-100% and add 2,600 miles, but so what?

• Disagree
Reactions: doghousePVD
No. A car with a 200kWh pack will charge fine with the existing 48A charger. It won't charge from 0-100% overnight at 48A, but that's completely unnecessary, unless you're driving the Roadster 600 miles every day (who knows what the Pickup range will be).

Yes, someone will undoubtedly bitch and moan if their brand new 200k car can't fully recharge at home overnight, but it's not necessary to do so.

You need a charger powerful enough to replenish your daily driving overnight. That doesn't mean you need to refill the battery overnight. They are separate issues. It's about miles of range added per hour of charging, not % of battery added.

My S adds 29 mi of range per hour on a 14-50 (40A charging) and will fully charge its 85kWh battery in ~9 hours. 29 mph*9hrs = 261 miles, regardless of battery size. If my battery capacity magically increased to 850 kWh, I'll still add 261 mi in 9 hours. It would take days to go from 0-100% and add 2,600 miles, but so what?

Buddy: Hey let's go to the dragstrip to test out your new roadster.
Me: Just plugged it in, see you there in 2 days.

You need a charger powerful enough to replenish your daily driving overnight. That doesn't mean you need to refill the battery overnight. ...
Well, I'm not bitching and moaning, but I do think that the on board charger needs to be capable of doing something at least CLOSE to a full recharge overnight. We know it's not a engineering challenge for Tesla to supply 72a or 80a charging, so I would expect they would at least do that. Even then, 80a would take 10+ hours and 72a would require 12 hours to fill 200kWh.

Reactions: GSP and doghousePVD
Tesla is certainly going to build cars with 72 or 80 amp charging capacity. How do you think the 200 kwh Roadster and Pickup will charge?
These last few comments are bringing up a very interesting question. I agree that it is about refilling the needed amount of miles. And for passenger cars, that's true that it's going to be very unlikely to need higher power charging. But for the bigger trucks, with towing and heavy loads, they burn lots of energy per mile. So their recharging rate in miles per hour is going to be noticeably slower, and they will need to recover more energy overnight than a car probably would. So I do still think that the pickup is probably going to have a higher power onboard charger in the area of 70-80 amps or so.

The 80a wall connector's cable is so big and unwieldy (and expensive I would think), it would make a sense to make a 48a version at the $400 price point.
Never had a problem with it. Spending $140k for a car, worried about $500 for the wall charger? I also spent $2k to add the second charger.

Now limping along at 48A. Missed a fun opportunity last night because of it too. Is there enough time to get this thing to 100% SoC and battery at 50C for Ludicrous++? NO. Not a theoretical problem.

640kB ram is good enough for anyone.

Reactions: GSP and doghousePVD
Yes, one does tend to make it one of those threads by bragging about blowing lots of money.

Sorry for supporting Tesla. In fact not sorry enough. Should have given the 140k and not even gotten a car in return.

Getting what you paid for is not the same as bragging, sorry. Just another reason to add to the wheel that could replace half the posters on TMC.

Never had a problem with it. Spending $140k for a car, worried about $500 for the wall charger? I also spent $2k to add the second charger.
I spent $31K (after incentives) and my car can't charge faster then 32a, and right now none of the new cars can go over 48a, no matter how much money is thrown at it. While a heavy cable may not be a problem to you, my wife would undoubtedly be cross if she had to wrestle it around. I still think a smaller wall charger would be a good product to have in the stable.

I'm sure just to make you happy, they could always raise the price of the big wall charger to a grand and give it a name like "Super Founder's Edition". :D

These last few comments are bringing up a very interesting question. I agree that it is about refilling the needed amount of miles. And for passenger cars, that's true that it's going to be very unlikely to need higher power charging. But for the bigger trucks, with towing and heavy loads, they burn lots of energy per mile. So their recharging rate in miles per hour is going to be noticeably slower, and they will need to recover more energy overnight than a car probably would. So I do still think that the pickup is probably going to have a higher power onboard charger in the area of 70-80 amps or so.
With the recent electric school buses, 80A charging is not limited to Tesla anymore.

Reactions: neroden and GSP
I ordered a used car from them. Was told to purchase an adapter as the cars no longer come with them.

Had a new dedicated 240 outlet. Had a nice combo of things happen. ordered an adapter from tesla shop 15 days ago, no shipping confirmation. Then the car was picked up a few days later and it actually came with the adapter. So I tried to cancel order, no email or response. But the best thing is the UMC completely failed after a week. No LED lights or nothing no matter what outlet or adapter I use. So I'm forced to Supercharge.

The lack of an adapter is force you to buy their wall charger or pay for it. Either way a score for them. The 5-15 isn't conducive with everyday use.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
This is so cheap Tesla. They are going nickel and dime to make whatever extra money they can. I just spent $62000 on a new Tesla model 3 and I am appalled by them by not having the 14-50 adapter , HomeLink etc. I thought Tesla was a pioneer in customer convenience and innovation but this tactic of making money is so cheap. They should given these as an option while purchasing the car and I would have paid for them. Now the adapter is out of stock online. This is so much a hassle. I am now seriously repenting my decision of buying a Tesla by believing in Elon Musk. He just another greedy businessman. The Model 3 @$62000 is not a cheap car and we should have some of these features as standard.

• Love
Reactions: Resist and neroden