Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-50 Consultation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Paid a lot because we used the Tesla recommended installer. Got three quotes - 2500, 1500, and 1300 bucks. Went with the 1500 dollar job but it did include a 100 ft run thru my attic crossing the whole house and dry wall holes and repairs so plug is seamless no visible wiring inside or out. Pretty happy. Also included the permit and inspection that was completed during the install.

• Informative
Reactions: linkster
I got a couple of quotes for a ~50 foot run down from my subpanel and in the crawlspace to the nearest garage wall: $1400 not including permits, and $2000 including permits. I felt like I was getting robbed at those prices, so I decided to do it myself. Permit was $160 and it'll take about $130 in parts, or about $300 total before labour.

I had fun wrestling the 6/3 Romex snake under the house last night. I got pretty lucky with pulling the wire up and through the wall. But that wire is annoyingly hard to pull through holes when it gets twisted up. My suggestion to anyone following in my footsteps is to try and untwist it as much as possible before doing anything. I'm at the point now where I'm in the main crawlspace and it's just along and across joists to under the subpanel, and then up and in; hoping that that's going to be straightforward (ha). I can suddenly see why someone would charge $500 to do all this work.

Reactions: AndreSF
If it makes you feel any better, mine is going to cost even more than that. Be glad you don't have a detached garage on the opposite side of the house as your main box. Mine is going to be a little over $2k, but I also got one quote that was over $4k!
Same here. I have put these into 2 different houses, in each case it required a home run to exactly opposite side of the house, costing about $2500.00. Also they have to upsize the wire to handle a long run, which also adds some cost.

We're having 2 14-50's (one on each side of the 2-car door) installed on Thursday here in NE Oklahoma for $500. Panel is inside the house but in the room next to the garage. We're going surface mount for the boxes and conduit (in the garage) so the only drywall work will be where it passes through the wall. No issues with charging in the heat - the car will run its AC as necessary to keep the battery and such cool. Charging at night helps as it'll need less AC therefore more kWh's will make it from the wall into the battery but the difference is tiny.

Does anyone know if there are any federal credits or tax savings i can utilize for this install?

Anyone an expert that can point in the right direction?

Thank you
Yes. Consumers can possibly get a 30% tax credit on what you spent to install "alternative fuel infrastructure", up to $1000.

I spent over $1800 installing two NEMA 14-50 outlets and running conduit over 100 feet. I received over $540 back. I had my install done last year and claimed it when filing my taxes this year.

See also: State & Federal Incentives | Plug In America

Last edited:
Yes. Consumers can possibly get a 30% tax credit on what you spent to install "alternative fuel infrastructure", up to $1000.

I spent over $1800 installing two NEMA 14-50 outlets and running conduit over 100 feet. I received over $540 back. Note that some can't take this tax credit in the same year you get the $7500 tax credit. I had my install done last year and claimed it when filing my taxes this year. I'm buying the car this year and will claim the $7500 tax credit when filing taxes next year.

Excellent!

Thank you for this.

I spent over $1800 installing two NEMA 14-50 outlets and running conduit over 100 feet. I received over $540 back. Note that some can't take this tax credit in the same year you get the $7500 tax credit.
It's nothing to do with whether or not you take the $7500 tax credit for buying the EV. The alternative fuel infrastructure credit is subject to AMT, so it disappears for most Tesla buyers.

Reactions: dgpcolorado

I spent over $1800 installing two NEMA 14-50 outlets and running conduit over 100 feet. I received over $540 back. I had my install done last year and claimed it when filing my taxes this year.

You can claim the credits in a different tax year than the year those purchases were made? Is this on the up and up? If so, my CPA and I need another chat, since my deductions are already sky high this year.

Use Form 8911 to figure your credit for alternative fuel vehicle refueling property you placed in service during your tax year.

Consumers who purchased qualified residential fueling equipment prior to December 31, 2016, may receive a tax credit of up to $1,000. Unused credits that qualify as general business tax credits, as defined by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), may be carried backward one year and carried forward 20 years. For more information about claiming the credit, see IRS Form 8911, which is available on the IRS Forms and Publications website. (Reference Public Law 114-113; 26U.S. Code 30C and 38; and IRS Notice 2007-43(PDF))

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8911.pdf

You can claim the credits in a different tax year than the year those purchases were made? Is this on the up and up? If so, my CPA and I need another chat, since my deductions are already sky high this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
More related to topic, I had a Tesla certified electric outfit come out to bid the work. Detached garage, roughly 50' run.

This pirate sent me a $4k proposal! I checked up and down, trying to find where he was going to upgrade my panel to 400 service, rewire the property, and wash my cars for 12 months. Alas, it was only for some cables run to an outlet, with my existing service.

I should really check my drawers as he was in the house... But seriously, my friend, a reputable electrician who cannot fathom companies charging these egregious prices, is doing it for $750. I might've experienced a heavy Tesla tax with that company, which is unethical in its own.

Use Form 8911 to figure your credit for alternative fuel vehicle refueling property you placed in service during your tax year.

Consumers who purchased qualified residential fueling equipment prior to December 31, 2016, may receive a tax credit of up to $1,000. Unused credits that qualify as general business tax credits, as defined by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), may be carried backward one year and carried forward 20 years. For more information about claiming the credit, see IRS Form 8911, which is available on the IRS Forms and Publications website. (Reference Public Law 114-113; 26U.S. Code 30C and 38; and IRS Notice 2007-43(PDF))

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8911.pdf
At first glance, it says general business tax credits. I'll look into it. Thanks

image.jpeg
I'm amazed at the quotes I am seeing. I paid a master electrician as a "side job" in cash $400 + $200 for some 1AWG aluminum wire. This included installation of a brand new sub panel in the garage, a HPWC and 14-50 outlet running from that panel, and another 14-50 outlet in my existing panel. I bought all materials at Home Depot/lowes totaling about $250-300. My run was 6 ft as all he had to do was drill a hole through my garage wall where the main power was on the exterior. It's actually really easy to DIY once you see it done.

Reactions: 335eye