Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-50 home charging advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes! with the gasoline stored in most garages. Fire hazard! But as to a "licensed master electrician", well, that's debatable. Many of us with a little experience know about as much as a "master" electrician when it comes to installing a simple outlet. I installed my own (it's only tightening three screws on three wires, after all) and I doubt I'll ever see any fire due to my job.

The problem is that so many people are completely ignorant about electricity. With a very little bit of education, one finds out that it's not that big of a deal. I've heard stories of electricians who put wires in their mouths while connecting things together, so they'd know when the wires were "hot", but most electricians are no smarter or dumber than the rest of us. A "licensed master electrician" would, in my mind, be huge overkill.

Yes, I've wired several new homes. It's NOT rocket science.

The problem is that no one knows how to tighten those three wires properly. How to size the junction box correctly. Which breaker to use, if the panel can support the evse, ect. Saying “it’s only three wires” exudes ignorance.

Dunning-Kruger-Effect.png

No master electrician is sticking his tongue or fingers on any wires to test if they are live. That might be something a jackleg or an imbecile might do, not a professional.

And is it ok to leave the mobile charger plugged into the receptacle all the time
It has probably been mentioned, but it is a Mobile Connector not a charger. The charger is in the car. So yes, it is okay to leave it plugged in because it is just a relay that does not connect or power the plug unless the car is connected.

It has probably been mentioned, but it is a Mobile Connector not a charger. The charger is in the car. So yes, it is okay to leave it plugged in because it is just a relay that does not connect or power the plug unless the car is connected.
Good luck. That ship sailed a LOOOOONG time ago!!! ;) Calling it an EVSE just didn't work for most people...

I understand the paranoia about home fires. Electrical code is there for a reason. That said, your home air conditioner may draw similar power (240v, 30a), so ask your friend if he’s also concerned about that. Have a licensed electrician do the job for you and you should be fine. The weak part of the link is the outlet, and you definitely don’t want to plug/unplug more than necessary. Don’t use an extension cord either. The mobile connector has a temperature sensor in the plug and will shut down if temperatures get too high at the outlet. I also have the Leviton outlet, and would have gone with something more sturdy if given the choice (I wasn’t). Eventually I’ll swap it out. Overheating is rare but you can find stories about it.
Your example is not a good one. AC units (also ovens, ranges, etc..) generally only pull the max amperage for short periods while an EV will pull the max current for HOURS. When we're talking about a cheap outlet overheating and causing a fire, that makes a big difference.

Your example is not a good one. AC units (also ovens, ranges, etc..) generally only pull the max amperage for short periods while an EV will pull the max current for HOURS. When we're talking about a cheap outlet overheating and causing a fire, that makes a big difference.
An ac will draw what it says it will draw for hours. For a AC on a 30 amp breaker that is usually between 17-22 amps as long as the compressor is running.

My example was a good one, thank you very much. Heat generated by large currents can rise to steady state values in tens of minutes, it doesn’t take hours. And AC comes on when ambient temperatures are already high. Finally, I don’t know about you, but temperatures in my part California got quite high last summer and my AC was literally on for HOURS at a time, definitely more than my nighttime car charging. I think that qualifies as a continuous current draw. So come to think of it, my example was a not just a good one, it was a great one.

My example was a good one, thank you very much. Heat generated by large currents can rise to steady state values in tens of minutes, it doesn’t take hours. And AC comes on when ambient temperatures are already high. Finally, I don’t know about you, but temperatures in my part California got quite high last summer and my AC was literally on for HOURS at a time, definitely more than my nighttime car charging. I think that qualifies as a continuous current draw. So come to think of it, my example was a not just a good one, it was a great one.
And your AC unit probably hard wired and not just plugged in into the outlet, right?

And your AC unit probably hard wired and not just plugged in into the outlet, right?
It sure is. I only offered the air conditioner example as a response to the OP’s states concern: “A friend has me paranoid about home charging fires.” This was simply an example of another common home appliance which has a similar continuous current draw. I didn’t expect this to be a controversial post. Of course a plug adds another failure point, especially if one is repeatedly plugging in and unplugging a mobile connector.

However great it may have been it does not meet the standard for a "continuous load" defined by the NEC. I think that is all the other posters were suggesting.
Sheesh! It was just an analogy. Somehow I missed that my example needed to meet the NEC standard.

And while we’re on the topic of this NEC standard, enlighten me please since I’m not an electrician. Who is this cabal, and why should I care if my air conditioner doesn’t meet their standard?

Getting ready to finally upgrade from Level1 charging at home for my Y.

A friend has me paranoid about home charging fires but from everything I read, it’s all about having a qualified electrician install with the appropriate wiring and receptacle.

My electrician is planning to use a Leviton 55050 which is on the approved list but most forums seem to recommend the Hubbell or Bryant. Should I ask him to use one of those instead?

And is it ok to leave the mobile charger plugged into the receptacle all the time or should it only be plugged in while charging?

My charging needs are pretty minimal right now, averaging 20-30 miles on a busy day but upgrading for a 2nd EV.
Your friend is giving you good advice. Order the Wall Connector and have it installed by a local licensed electrician obtain the necessary local permits to pass inspection.

Sheesh! It was just an analogy. Somehow I missed that my example needed to meet the NEC standard.

And while we’re on the topic of this NEC standard, enlighten me please since I’m not an electrician. Who is this cabal, and why should I care if my air conditioner doesn’t meet their standard?
Seriously? You don't know who/what the NEC is?

Uhh...well...we're sorta kinda discussing minimal safety standards in this thread, and the NEC sets THE national standard. It is hardly a cabal.

You would benefit from doing some research about the (cabal??? SERIOUSLY???) NEC.

Seriously? You don't know who/what the NEC is?

Uhh...well...we're sorta kinda discussing minimal safety standards in this thread, and the NEC sets THE national standard. It is hardly a cabal.

You would benefit from doing some research about the (cabal??? SERIOUSLY???) NEC.
It was a joke, but poorly executed. Guess I was just slightly annoyed that the AC example I first posted was “bad” because it didn’t meet some NEC standard for continuous current, so tried to make light of it and failed.

But seriously… when the mercury goes above 100, my AC will literally run nonstop for hours, drawing 24a or whatever it draws. It is way more expensive to operate than my Tesla.

Reactions: Pianewman