Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-50 UMC Adapter No Longer Included With New Purchases

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there charger and adaptors added to the car at delivery center or from factory? My car is enroute to Vancouver for delivery in a week or so. Ordered in March. I've been counting on it having the 14-50 adaptor for charging. So wonder if it would have it.

Will be frustrating to get the car, not have the adaptor I need and then have to wait a week or more for shipping of it. Assuming it's even in stock at the time.

You can make your own homemade adapters for the tt-30 and 6-30 if you really need it.

I have made a number of adapters and such. But it is nice to be able to order a manufactured one (water resistant, proper thermal sensing, etc.) - especially at Teslas bargain price of $35. The evseadapters are more expensive, and at least have the thermal sensing.

Reactions: Rocky_H
I have made a number of adapters and such. But it is nice to be able to order a manufactured one (water resistant, proper thermal sensing, etc.) - especially at Teslas bargain price of $35. The evseadapters are more expensive, and at least have the thermal sensing.

And sold by a company with no regard for safety or code. Some of their adapters are reckless.

• Disagree
Tesla has also removed the 14-50 adapter from the Mobile Connector Bundle in the store. It seem pretty clear that if you buy a new car or order an extra UMC you will only get the NEMA 5-15 adapter. If you are still getting the NEMA 14-50 adapter consider yourself lucky. You just saved $35 if you intend to use it.

This makes sense to me since many people have 10-30 or 14-30 abandoned outlets or their panes can not support a 14-50. My guess is that many people are not using the 14-50 and need an alternative so it makes more sense to provide a base solution.

And sold by a company with no regard for safety or code. Some of their adapters are reckless.

Indeed, all those NEMA 14-50 adapters are dangerous, as you need to manually limit the current. If you forget to do so, you depend on the breaker tripping as your only defense against overloading the circuit that might cause a fire. Some people use these adapters for plugs that have native adapters from Tesla because they already have the NEMA 14-50 adapter. That may be another factor in the decision not to include it with the UMC anymore.

• Informative
Reactions: eprosenx
Indeed, all those NEMA 14-50 adapters are dangerous, as you need to manually limit the current. If you forget to do so, you depend on the breaker tripping as your only defense against overloading the circuit that might cause a fire. Some people use these adapters for plugs that have native adapters from Tesla because they already have the NEMA 14-50 adapter. That may be another factor in the decision not to include it with the UMC anymore.

How about a 10-30 Y adapter- LOL!

New owner. Haven't even taken delivery yet. I bought a wall connector specifically not to have the pigtail.

People research before buying cars.

The m3p has a 48amp onboard charger. My wife will be putting some miles down. I'm installing a 60 amp 240v breaker hardwired to connect for an output of 48 amps. I'm looking for great charge rates just for convenience. NEMA 15-40 limits you to 30 amps, right?

I have the same setup but I'm charging an older model S with dual chargers. My car can take up to 80 amps. With a wall connector wired to 240 with a 60 amp breaker my result is about 35 to 36 miles per hour charge rate @48A. The model 3 with new battery chemistry should do much better.

I spoke to my delivery advisor and they confirmed I’m only getting the 110v adapter.

Thanks for letting us know!

Since I'm set up for a June 1st match and not taking delivery until around then, I supposed this means it's guaranteed I will not be getting it either...

Now I'm starting to look at the math again...

Best of 5 electrician quotes to install 14-50 ciricuit:

Dedicated circuit w/ 6/3 romex 50 foot, limited access, includes outlet: $677.09
Disconnect switch: $116.30
Double-Pole breaker: $73.13

Sub-Total: $866.52

Plus:

Tesla Cable Organizer w/ tax: $26.50
Gen 2 NEMA 14-50 Adapter w/ tax: $37.10

Total for NEMA 14-50 Setup: $930.12

Makes me think... If I get the Wall Connector I don't think I need the disconnect switch (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) and I don't need the cable organizer or the 14-50 adapter...

So...

Wall Connector w/ tax: $530
less disconnect switch, organizer, adapter: ($179.90)

Net cost to switch to wall connecter: $350.10

Total for Wall Connector Setup: $1280.22

Just thinking out loud here in case anyone else can benefit.... but I think I'm going to stick with the original plan.

Thoughts welcome

If things could be done from scratch, I wonder if a new plug or different type should have been defined from the start (with fallback to regular NEMA outlets of course). Probably one of the mistakes made was to not have a NEMA 14-40/6-40, which is why we have that issue/scenario today, or they should have just not allowed them under code.

A system similar to the European style (thinking of those blue plugs) would have been good as well where one plug type really means what plug it actually is (i.e. no situation where we have a 14-50 with a 40A breaker). As I actually understand it there are variations of those plugs made for America, so they could have directly leveraged them. But it would have been almost impossible to get that off the ground as the Blue/Red/etc. plugs were already in common use in Europe vs not so much in USA.

Also this makes me wonder, will anyone ever make a 14-50 plug with the GFCI in the plug? Because the circut breaker panel isn't always going to be in a convenient place to reset it.

Exactly. Tesla can’t even keep stuff in stock they WANT to sell.

Exactly the case now. I went to the store and discovered that you cannot order the 14-50 adaptors (quantity spinner is greyed out and "add to Cart" does not appear). Mega frustration to this poor sod who just paid for a (now-delayed delivery) Model 3 and, in anticipation, dropped a chunk of change installing a NEMA-14-50 outlet in my garage!

All-in-all, I have had a very unpleasant experience as a new Tesla purchaser: no car yet, apparently no way to charge it when and if it gets here.

Incorrect. The UMC is limited to 32 A, regardless of which adapter you use.

Thanks for letting us know!

Since I'm set up for a June 1st match and not taking delivery until around then, I supposed this means it's guaranteed I will not be getting it either...

Now I'm starting to look at the math again...

Best of 5 electrician quotes to install 14-50 ciricuit:

Dedicated circuit w/ 6/3 romex 50 foot, limited access, includes outlet: $677.09
Disconnect switch: $116.30
Double-Pole breaker: $73.13

Sub-Total: $866.52

Plus:

Tesla Cable Organizer w/ tax: $26.50
Gen 2 NEMA 14-50 Adapter w/ tax: $37.10

Total for NEMA 14-50 Setup: $930.12

Makes me think... If I get the Wall Connector I don't think I need the disconnect switch (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) and I don't need the cable organizer or the 14-50 adapter...

So...

Wall Connector w/ tax: $530
less disconnect switch, organizer, adapter: ($179.90)

Net cost to switch to wall connecter: $350.10

Total for Wall Connector Setup: $1280.22

Just thinking out loud here in case anyone else can benefit.... but I think I'm going to stick with the original plan.

Thoughts welcome

Several thoughts:

1. You should not need the disconnect switch on a receptacle for sure, or even on a Wall Connector. (Unless you are in Canada or somewhere with different rules?) at least not st 60a or below.
2. Does the receptacle option include a GFCI breaker? That cost seems artificially low. GFCI is required by US NEC ok the receptacle, but NOT on the wall connector, so it saves most folks a about $100.
3. If you go the wall connector route it lets you keep the UMC in your car at all times which is a nice feel good safety measure.
4. If you go the wall connector route I would probably want to do a 60a circuit so you could enable a full 48a charge rate if your vehicle supports it. This can be accomplished with 6 gauge wire if it can be used at the 75c rating. So romex does not meet this (due to a code requirement for it to be treated at 60c). SE wire does, MC does, or THHN in any kind of conduit.

I am a massive wall connector fan. You won’t be disappointed.

• Informative
Exactly the case now. I went to the store and discovered that you cannot order the 14-50 adaptors (quantity spinner is greyed out and "add to Cart" does not appear). Mega frustration to this poor sod who just paid for a (now-delayed delivery) Model 3 and, in anticipation, dropped a chunk of change installing a NEMA-14-50 outlet in my garage!

All-in-all, I have had a very unpleasant experience as a new Tesla purchaser: no car yet, apparently no way to charge it when and if it gets here.

Just got a response to my email to the delivery contact: my Mod 3 will arrive WITH the NEMA 14-50 adaptor

Incorrect. The UMC is limited to 32 A, regardless of which adapter you use.

While the absolute maximum current the Gen 2 UMC can supply is 32A (40A for Gen 1), it will limit itself to a lower current depending on the plug adapter connected to it. It won't do that when you are using an adapter that coverts a 30A, 20A or even 15A plug to NEMA14-50, because as far as the UMC is concerned, it is connected to a NEMA 14-50 socket that should support continuous 32A load. In this case, you have the lower the current manually. If you don't you will overload the circuit. If the breaker don't trip, you might start a fire. That's why selling such adapters is irresponsible and should be illegal.