Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall Companion - updated Windows app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't get the IP and password to work but I can't seem to confirm credentials through the browser anyway. I get a Tesla Energy page and the following text:

Switch to Tesla One for a better commissioning experience

The current experience is no longer supported

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240405-165318.png
    Screenshot_20240405-165318.png
    359.2 KB · Views: 15
I can't get the IP and password to work but I can't seem to confirm credentials through the browser anyway. I get a Tesla Energy page and the following text:

Switch to Tesla One for a better commissioning experience

The current experience is no longer supported
Looks like this can show after a firmware upgrade to PW2.
According to you can choose not to upgrade and it should keep working (at least through the web interface). Can you please try this and then let me know if PWC works?

Hmm, I haven't made any changes that should have changed performance, but I'll look into it.
So I found out why the app is slow. Tesla has changed their calendar_history API (once again, without notice). Previously when requesting energy stats, it would show a single result for each day (for daily/weekly/monthly periods) or month (for yearly periods). Now it is showing values for every 30 minutes, no matter how long the requested period is. This means the app is trying to chart way more data than it was expecting, hence the slowness.
I can fix this on the weekend, but I would like to wait a day or two to see if this change is deliberate or if it's an unexpected glitch.
In the meantime, the app will work fine if you steer clear of the Charts tab.

Reactions: Grayson73
So I found out why the app is slow. Tesla has changed their calendar_history API (once again, without notice). Previously when requesting energy stats, it would show a single result for each day (for daily/weekly/monthly periods) or month (for yearly periods). Now it is showing values for every 30 minutes, no matter how long the requested period is. This means the app is trying to chart way more data than it was expecting, hence the slowness.
I can fix this on the weekend, but I would like to wait a day or two to see if this change is deliberate or if it's an unexpected glitch.
In the meantime, the app will work fine if you steer clear of the Charts tab.
Thanks for taking a look. I figured something changed mid-day yesterday as it got really sluggish.

Keep up the great work!!

Can you elaborate?
Certainly.

It operated correctly, hence the notice of 7.2.0.0 but in very slow motion so I closed it. Then just before my post, I hovered my cursor over your app in my toolbar to open it again as usual, then when I moved cursor to the app image to open in full it would not show the open page, no open image. Did this a few times, same results.

As of now, it opens and stays open with two days of data, current and yesterday. However, when I click to open todays data, graph is correct but numbers are all zero and stayed zero until I got tired of waiting and closed it..

Well, many minutes after shutting down of app, reopen it, have full numbers for today. Getting dizzy :D :D :D

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-10 212859.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-10 212859.png
    104.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Certainly.

It operated correctly, hence the notice of 7.2.0.0 but in very slow motion so I closed it. Then just before my post, I hovered my cursor over your app in my toolbar to open it again as usual, then when I moved cursor to the app image to open in full it would not show the open page, no open image. Did this a few times, same results.

As of now, it opens and stays open with two days of data, current and yesterday. However, when I click to open todays data, graph is correct but numbers are all zero and stayed zero until I got tired of waiting and closed it..

Well, many minutes after shutting down of app, reopen it, have full numbers for today. Getting dizzy :D :D :D
That is the slowness I reported up above. Developer mentioned he would look at it this weekend.

Reactions: tomho
Correct, the app works fine if you don't click on the Chart page.
The good news is I've found some evening time to rush out a fix; should be available within a few hours.
Just noticed this exact problem after not having used the app for few days. I forced an update (now on 7.3.0.0) and all is fine again.

Having been a software developer for many years I'm unimpressed with how casual Tesla are in making unannounced (and undocumented?) changes to their APIs. What's the point of making an API available for 3rd party access if you periodically break it in this way?

Still it's great you've fixed this so quickly 👍. I find I use PWC a lot even though I also have the Netzero app on my phone and iPad.

Reactions: tomho