Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

pwmon.io - dashboard using the Tesla Solar API

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

offandonagain

Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2022
SF Bay Area
If you're like me, you obsessively track solar production, home usage, grid exports, etc. Tesla's app is great for that, but I wanted a better dashboard:
  1. A dashboard that can be displayed on an iPad mounted at home (so other family members can track it as well).
  2. Presents more information on a single screen.
  3. Is easy to set up and matches the data shown in the Tesla app (I used the Powerwall-Dashboard initially, but the totals were slightly off compared to Tesla's data; I also had data gaps if my Raspberry Pi went down).
That's why I built Power Monitor - pwmon.io -- a dashboard using the Tesla Solar/Powerwall API. More details on the site, give it a try and let me know if you have feature requests!

Attachments

• pwmon-ipad.jpg
    pwmon-ipad.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 716
  • pwmon-screenshot.png
    pwmon-screenshot.png
    283.2 KB · Views: 112
I've found a similar solution, but tied in other home automation items (such as Emporia, thermostat, weather and solar roof cameras.

Using HomeAssistant.io on a Raspberry Pi.. Gives me current data, but also keeps great historical data.

Thanks for sharing, that looks like a great dashboard!

My goal with pwmon.io was to keep the setup simpler -- no Raspberry Pi or configuration needed. The other issue I had with Powerwall-Dashboard (which also pulls data directly from the gateway) is that the totals would never quite match up with the Tesla App. I wonder if you're seeing the same issue with Home Assistant?

My goal with pwmon.io was to keep the setup simpler -- no Raspberry Pi or configuration needed. The other issue I had with Powerwall-Dashboard (which also pulls data directly from the gateway) is that the totals would never quite match up with the Tesla App. I wonder if you're seeing the same issue with Home Assistant?
I tried to load. After it tries to link to account, it just says page not found. Using firefox, windows 11

I tried to load. After it tries to link to account, it just says page not found. Using firefox, windows 11

That's expected -- you just have to copy the url (web address) of that "Page Not Found" page and paste it back on the pwmon.io sign up page.

Sorry for the confusing interface, but unfortunately Tesla doesn't provide a cleaner way. I'm currently working on a mobile app which will make the signup process much more seamless.

Hope you give it another try!

Reactions: K5TRX and h2ofun
That's expected -- you just have to copy the url (web address) of that "Page Not Found" page and paste it back on the pwmon.io sign up page.

Sorry for the confusing interface, but unfortunately Tesla doesn't provide a cleaner way. I'm currently working on a mobile app which will make the signup process much more seamless.

Hope you give it another try!
Okay, if I just read your directions. :(

so, I got it to work, but, I have 2 gateways. It shows one gateway, how to I see the other? I swipe in the tesla app

It's close, within 0.1 kWh it seems:

From Home Assistant:
1686828237102.png

From Tesla:
1686828290917.png
1686828318811.png
1686828342827.png
1686828364631.png

I am really intrigued with your script, going to give it a try!

Last edited:
Nice. Unfortunately my work blocks the website which would be my primary use case. I got it working on my phone and it's nice to see all the data on one page. Tried on our Echo Show and the Tesla car browser but without the ability to cut and paste (that I can figure out anyway) I can't really get the authorization working.

Nice. Unfortunately my work blocks the website which would be my primary use case. I got it working on my phone and it's nice to see all the data on one page. Tried on our Echo Show and the Tesla car browser but without the ability to cut and paste (that I can figure out anyway) I can't really get the authorization working.

Regarding web site blocking: I'm planning on moving the app behind a load balancer on Amazon, which may resolve the problem at your work (depending on how your blocking is set up). I'll let you know when that happens.

I love the idea of loading the dashboard in a Tesla car! For testing at home on multiple devices I've actually been working on ways to transfer the API tokens between devices with QR codes (similar to how TVs sometimes authenticate Netflix and other apps). It needs some polish before releasing publicly, but I was able to get it working with my car. A little "Sunshine on your Drive" :). The same approach will probably work for your Echo.

SunshineOnYourDrive.jpg

Thank you! I love where you are going with NetZero For Tesla! I have two questions:
  1. Is there a way to be able to download the daily data but for multiple days? So that I don't have to go day by day downloading to get the higher definition?
  2. The Vehicle data shows 0.0 Kwh. Is that because it does not know which of my cars to use?

@offandonagain this is really cool, thanks for sharing! Just finally got around to trying it.

I am definitely thinking of setting up an ipad like you have with the iPort there. Those always seemed pretty expensive to me, but this might be a valid use case for one. Need to figure out where to get power for it if I mount it somewhere.

Thank you! I love where you are going with NetZero For Tesla! I have two questions:
Thanks!
  1. Is there a way to be able to download the daily data but for multiple days? So that I don't have to go day by day downloading to get the higher definition?
Not in the app currently. If you're comfortable running Python code, I have a script that will download data in bulk and can also be automated:

You're probably aware of that, but if you just need daily totals from the app downloads: the Month view will give you daily data for the whole month (so it's a bit faster to gather all the data).
  1. The Vehicle data shows 0.0 Kwh. Is that because it does not know which of my cars to use?
That sounds like a bug. I'll follow up over the email you sent me since I'll need some more info.

Reactions: K5TRX
@offandonagain this is really cool, thanks for sharing! Just finally got around to trying it.

I am definitely thinking of setting up an ipad like you have with the iPort there. Those always seemed pretty expensive to me, but this might be a valid use case for one. Need to figure out where to get power for it if I mount it somewhere.
Thanks! I agree that iPort seems expensive for what it provides, not sure if there are cheaper alternatives. For power it uses Power over Ethernet, so if you have your house wired for cat5e/cat6 and a PoE switch, that works well.

This thread is pretty out of date actually, the app changed a lot (with lots more features) since I posted this. I might start a new thread to get some more feedback and feature requests.

Reactions: Matt-FL
Thanks!

Not in the app currently. If you're comfortable running Python code, I have a script that will download data in bulk and can also be automated:
Thanks for this and the email! Fast response. I emailed back on the possible bug.
I am not that good with Python and Github. It there any way the app could download granular daily data for multiple days?
Oh, and the PVwatts integration is a great idea. In my daily Solar data it appears to be off by 2 hours. That is, the red dots show energy production two hours before sunrise. The red dots are two hours to the left.
Thanks again!