Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pricing increase on both new and reman Tesla replacement packs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NV Ray

Sep 7, 2020
From multiple sources (not from my Tesla Service Center), I've recently discovered a potential new Tesla price increase on both their 90/85 reman and new replacement packs.

Previous (for at least the past year) - $13.5k USD base for reman, $17k base for new.

Potential current prices - $14.5k base for reman, $21k base for new.

As a test, I had my VIN imputed and guess what? Now $14.5k base for reman, $21k base for new. My new pack last Nov was $17k.

New pack part number (1101078-00-A) is different than what I have (1014116-00-C, T22J build date). I suspect my part number doesn't even come up anymore as an option.

That's for 90 kWh new or 85 kWh reman. Which would you choose?? 4yr warranty for either. But estimating 8 years say for new that's $2784 / year for new, which is more than I'd pay for 10k average miles with 35 mpg ICE car. 😵
I went with new from Tesla. As I have a 2012 P85 they corked to 85 from 90. New is only option that will get you original EPA rated range and 120ish max kW, 50ish kW min supercharging speeds. Remans from Tesla and other 3rd party professionals will get you 80%-85% original EPA range. Lastly, it's a crap shoot with remans as you'll likely get cells that are possibly 10 years old.

There is NO such thing as a NEW pack. All replacement packs r remanufactured. My son just got pack in 2021, remanufactured.
My 2013 got a remanufactured pack. I have not seen anyone send us a picture of a NEW pack label showing it was new ??
I asked, nope, $12,000. Warranty only good to first date. Can I pay for pack upgrade?? Nope. They installed a remanufactured pack, refused to set to original 265 miles, set at 225.

There is NO such thing as a NEW pack. All replacement packs r remanufactured. My son just got pack in 2021, remanufactured.
My 2013 got a remanufactured pack. I have not seen anyone send us a picture of a NEW pack label showing it was new ??
I asked, nope, $12,000. Warranty only good to first date. Can I pay for pack upgrade?? Nope. They installed a remanufactured pack, refused to set to original 265 miles, set at 225.
I got a NEW pack a year ago. T22J=Oct 2022. No "R" at the end of serial number.
New HV battery.jpg

Unbelievable, car year? Where?? When? I've been in three SC, not one would offer. That's is a miracle.
My SC wouldn't even give a warranty past the original car date.
I have a 2012 P85, casualty of the BMS_u029 alert. Reno, NV last year.

BMS_u029 I am adminstrator of a Facebook BMS_u029 Group with almost 1200 members.

Besides my personal experience, I've talked to hundreds of owners worldwide about their replacement pack options.

You're right, there are some SCs that swear up and down that there are new packs, only replacement packs. In some cases, after talking with me, owners have gone back to their SCs with part number and were able to get new pack.

Screenshot 2023-10-22 072508.png

Unbelievable, car year? Where?? When? I've been in three SC, not one would offer. That's is a miracle.
My SC wouldn't even give a warranty past the original car date.
You sound like me when I first came to this website. I too had no luck at many service centers, until I went to Berkeley California. I originally had my car for dublin, and someone working there was from Berkeley, so he changed me to Berkeley and they hooked it up with the 1014116-00-c also. After the service was done the guy told me I could have done a 100kw pack too. Like I really messed up, but I'm not changing it again.
2015 Model s 85d

Reactions: NV Ray
They have zero plan to support ot retrofit older cars. As I said before, they wouldn't let me pay for ""new"" pack of any kind.
I got infotainment upgrade. Have of sw still doesn't work. Technician spent three hours. Finally gave up and said car was too old. I did TSB upgrading TPMS system. Still doesn't work. Nothing on front screen upgraded. Nothing.

They have zero plan to support ot retrofit older cars. As I said before, they wouldn't let me pay for ""new"" pack of any kind.
I got infotainment upgrade. Have of sw still doesn't work. Technician spent three hours. Finally gave up and said car was too old. I did TSB upgrading TPMS system. Still doesn't work. Nothing on front screen upgraded. Nothing.
I had issues with Slacker, no theater, and no voice command function after my MCU2 upgrade. Same with your MCU2 upgrade? My concerns got resolved.

I reckon they bricked my car when they saw I put in a replacement pack myself.
I thought you had Recell replace your pack. Was that not the case?

In any case that seems unlikely, we haven't heard of Tesla doing that for replacements. But it is certainly possible that you got another pack that had already suffered damaged and has now itself failed. (Unless you have done something to really piss of the engineers at Tesla. Service center staff likely have no ability to do something like that.)

Reactions: buckets0fun
So, since we "know" that Tesla's cost on battery materials and production is going down, what is Tesla trying to do here? I guess they just don't really want the older cars running. Too bad. But good news for the aftermarket guys.
Sell new cars and eliminate free supercharging. There is no sustainability here even though it’s their mission statement