Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2012-14 MS Tesla replacement pack?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NV Ray

Sep 7, 2020
Not to sound the alarm. Just passing on information.

Over the past week, two instances have come to my attention that Tesla Service Centers are not offering owners NEW out of warranty MS replacement packs. Both cases involved the BMS_u029 alert requiring out of warranty pack replacement.

One was @Bob Atkins in SoCal who approved new pack but his TSC installed reman pack instead. A second was a gentleman in Ontario, Canada in which his TSC said they "no longer sell new packs."

Does anyone know if this is permanent or just temporary? Hard to believe Tesla no longer has new replacement packs for 2012-14 MS's.

@Recell @wk057

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
For sure if you pay for a battery, you get a new part warranty:
  • Vehicle High Voltage Battery*: 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first
My reading does not show a guarantee that batteries will retain a minimum of 70% capacity retention.

Hard to believe Tesla no longer has new replacement packs for 2012-14 MS's.
Why? At some point they have to retire/replace/repurpose the equipment used to make those pack since they no longer make vehicles that use them.

Technically, I don't think they have made anything but new 100kWh packs for quite a while. (Though they have left two modules out in some to make 350v ~87kWh packs.) Though even that equipment is probably getting retired as they now only sell S/X vehicles with the new 5 module packs, which from my understanding can not be put into an older S/X easily, if at all.

• Informative
Reactions: NV Ray
@NV Ray, when replacing a battery under the original 8 year warranty, they specify a battery replacement with a similar capacity and age as the existing battery, and the warranty is only for the remainder of the new car battery warranty period, if any exists. Since the warranty period you are referring to would be for a "new" part battery, I don't see it likey they would size the remanufactured battery to have the same capacity as a new battery. I wonder how the remanufactured battery compares with a new battery?

• Informative
Reactions: mspohr
@NV Ray, when replacing a battery under the original 8 year warranty, they specify a battery replacement with a similar capacity and age as the existing battery, and the warranty is only for the remainder of the new car battery warranty period, if any exists. Since the warranty period you are referring to would be for a "new" part battery, I don't see it likey they would size the remanufactured battery to have the same capacity as a new battery. I wonder how the remanufactured battery compares with a new battery?
I'm talking about only out of warranty replacement packs. So owners foot the bill. Tesla offers a 4 yr/50k mile warranty on both new and reman out of warranty replacement packs.

I have a new out of warranty replacement pack built in Nov 2022. Unlike remans I've seen, new is 350v vs 400v with 14 vs 16 modules. I suspect they have new cells and Nov 2022 hardware.

Sounds like OP is providing data points possibly indicating that the new battery packs with the 350v /90khw rating is either not being offered (was typical for Tesla to offer out-of-warranty customers the option of paying more for a pack with new cells vs used cells in a reman battery pack) or is not being manufactured.. Will have to keep an eye on this... folks need to be able to tell the difference between new and manufactured and also realize that remanufactured just means the BMS and pack are 'reman' whereas the cells are used... the new packs use the 100kwh pack chemistry and are likely to last a very long time, supercharge faster, are properly sealed against water intrusion, and also have near 300mi range when installed, the used packs are just that, with the concerns of early packs included. each owner needs to figure out what works best for their situation.

Reactions: Yurand and aerodyne
Sounds like OP is providing data points possibly indicating that the new battery packs with the 350v /90khw rating is either not being offered (was typical for Tesla to offer out-of-warranty customers the option of paying more for a pack with new cells vs used cells in a reman battery pack) or is not being manufactured.. Will have to keep an eye on this... folks need to be able to tell the difference between new and manufactured and also realize that remanufactured just means the BMS and pack are 'reman' whereas the cells are used... the new packs use the 100kwh pack chemistry and are likely to last a very long time, supercharge faster, are properly sealed against water intrusion, and also have near 300mi range when installed, the used packs are just that, with the concerns of early packs included. each owner needs to figure out what works best for their situation.
You're right.

There's a third member in my BMS_u029 Facebook Group from Dallas that is supposed to get a new installed tomorrow. Asked him to take before and after pics of pack label.

Need some advice... my battery on my Model S 2013 just went out last night at about 150,000 miles. They quoted a total of about $17,000 after tax to take care of it. In the quote is shows "Battery, 90KWH, REMAN, SX-1102980-01" That line item is $13,500. Can anybody interpret this? And is this a normal type of replacement? I just want to be sure that if I'm pouring this much more into the car that I know I'll get some good life out of it. Any other advice on how to approach this would be appreciated!

Need some advice... my battery on my Model S 2013 just went out last night at about 150,000 miles. They quoted a total of about $17,000 after tax to take care of it. In the quote is shows "Battery, 90KWH, REMAN, SX-1102980-01" That line item is $13,500. Can anybody interpret this? And is this a normal type of replacement? I just want to be sure that if I'm pouring this much more into the car that I know I'll get some good life out of it. Any other advice on how to approach this would be appreciated!
Sent you PM.

Reactions: aerodyne
$13.5k is for 85/90 kWh reman replacement pack. $17k is for 85/90 kWh NEW replacement pack. Although I'm uncertain if Tesla is offering new at this time.

I said it a while back that 85 reman won’t be available for long and when that will happen the availability of the new pack is uncertain.
Offering 90 reman for broken 85 is not a bad thing, but it depends on the Supercharging capabilities of the 90 400V and the degradation. Most early 90kW have less capacity than the 85 at the same mileage.
Probably the 17k from the invoice is the pack at 13.5k + some suspension arms, rapid mate, bolts and taxes

I said it a while back that 85 reman won’t be available for long and when that will happen the availability of the new pack is uncertain.
Offering 90 reman for broken 85 is not a bad thing, but it depends on the Supercharging capabilities of the 90 400V and the degradation. Most early 90kW have less capacity than the 85 at the same mileage.
Probably the 17k from the invoice is the pack at 13.5k + some suspension arms, rapid mate, bolts and taxes
Am I to understand that you think that both new and reman out of warranty replacement packs from Tesla for 2012-14 Model S's may soon become unavailable?

Probably they will push the 90 reman as standard replacement until they will ran out of those as well or realize something else makes more financial sense. I believe that the new 90 350V will still be produced, but maybe now they have more reman packs.

Probably they will push the 90 reman as standard replacement until they will ran out of those as well or realize something else makes more financial sense. I believe that the new 90 350V will still be produced, but maybe now they have more reman packs.
Phew, thought at first you were suggesting that out of warranty replacement pack options via Tesla for 2012-14 Model S's was going away. Leaving owners only 3rd party solutions. Thanks for the clarification.

For sure if you pay for a battery, you get a new part warranty:
My reading does not show a guarantee that batteries will retain a minimum of 70% capacity retention.
Tesla no longer makes the battery packs for legacy model s. My 2020 battery died and they gave me a used battery that had degraded 10%. Very disappointed.

Tesla no longer makes the battery packs for legacy model s. My 2020 battery died and they gave me a used battery that had degraded 10%. Very disappointed.
Any part you purchase from Tesla out of warranty has a "new part" warranty on it. For the battery, this is 4 years, 50K miles.

"Parts, Body and Paint Repair Limited Warranty

Repair or replacement of Tesla-branded parts purchased directly from Tesla, over-the-counter, online or purchased and installed by Tesla Service or a Tesla Collision Center, may be covered under the Tesla Parts, Body & Paint Repair Limited Warranty.
This limited warranty covers the repair or replacement necessary to remedy any “failures” that are determined by Tesla to have occurred under normal use.
“Failure” means the complete failure or inability of a covered part to perform the function(s) for which it was designed, due to defects in material or workmanship of the part manufactured or supplied by Tesla, which occur under normal use. Failure does not include the gradual loss in operating performance due to normal wear and tear.
The Tesla Parts, Body & Paint Repair Limited Warranty begins on the purchase date of the part(s), and coverage extends for a period of 12 months or 12,500 miles, which ever comes first. Specific categories of parts have unique warranty coverage periods:
  • Sheet metal: Limited lifetime
  • Drive Unit*: 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first
  • Wall Connectors: 4 years
  • Touchscreen and Media Control Unit: 2 years or 25,000 miles, whichever comes first
*Excludes the Tesla Roadster, which has a warranty of 2 years or 25,000 miles, whichever comes first.
For details, please review the Tesla Parts, Body & Paint Repair Limited Warranty."

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H