Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2021 Model 3 and iPhone 12 pro max

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To anyone that said Tesla should work around Apple, please do not consider this. Apple should do a better job on their hardware / firmware and make their devices more compatible with non-Apple things. As is iPhone owners are hostage to enough OEM only apps and hardware from them.

Absolutely this. It's quite staggering that some people on this thread have suggested it.

Essentially you are saying the entire motor industry should redesign their interiors all because a manufacturer of a consumer electronics device has made a product that differs from every single other device of the same type

I have the TapTes charging mat for my Model 3 and it was perfect for my XS Max but definitely does not fit my 12 Pro Max with Apple leather case. I managed to semi-shove it into the mat, but it didn't charge.

Most likely going to have to replace the mat with something that will let me charge horizontally when I'm in the car alone, and I guess just use a cable (I keep one in the console) if I'm a passenger/have passengers.

I have the TapTes charging mat for my Model 3 and it was perfect for my XS Max but definitely does not fit my 12 Pro Max with Apple leather case. I managed to semi-shove it into the mat, but it didn't charge.

Most likely going to have to replace the mat with something that will let me charge horizontally when I'm in the car alone, and I guess just use a cable (I keep one in the console) if I'm a passenger/have passengers.

The taptes Mk2 charger interestingly changed its design to allow sideways charging. I don’t use that feature but it really is an excellent quality piece of equipment. Much nicer than the flappy mat that the car came with and doesn’t seem picky about phone positioning.

When were you going to order? My new work phone will be a 12pro max and its coming at the end of the month. I could check for you.

The reason I ask is from the reviews I\ve seen the 12 Pro seems to be the wrong phone to get. If you really like the advanced features and use the camera, the pro max is very much better than it. If you don't need the ultimate and can cope with 4gb ram and a slightly less well featured camera the 12 is so much better than the Pro price wise. It seems the standard sized 12 pro is the one to avoid.

all good EXCEPT—the 12 Pro is the smallest phone with the new three lenses. While two of our four family members bought ProMax, the other two bought pro because they preferred the size.
The new camera in Pro and ProMax is pretty good!!!

Our -2 ProMax’s fit well on Tesla’s wireless charger, but with part of the case design to slightly raise the phone body from the charger (to protect the camera lenses) it does not charge.
Has anybody found a MAG charging solution that works well for M3/MY? Otherwise, will have to try the original lightning plugs and reinstall those..

It sounds like the problem is more with apples solution to a problem that doesn't exist than with the charger itself.

However you may want to give pause if you're getting the pro max. I have a note 20 ultra which is a similar size and it's a REALLY tight fit to get it on to the oem charger. Any bigger or a bigger case and it wouldn't fit. It can also be a bit hit and miss connecting. 90% of the time its ok, but last week it took a lot of fiddling to get it to charge

That seems like an Apple flaw more than a Tesla one. The ridge for this years Pro line camera is pretty ridiculous, and when you factor in a case that aims to protect the lenses, you can see why people are having problems.

Since Apple are pushing MagSafe I don’t know much they will care about this problem.

Reactions: Neilio
all good EXCEPT—the 12 Pro is the smallest phone with the new three lenses. While two of our four family members bought ProMax, the other two bought pro because they preferred the size.
The new camera in Pro and ProMax is pretty good!!!
Agreed the pro gas decent camera quality

I was just saying if that's your thing, the pro max , with its better zoom, wider sensor for low light ability and sensor based image stabilisation is probably worth the extra

That seems like an Apple flaw more than a Tesla one. The ridge for this years Pro line camera is pretty ridiculous, and when you factor in a case that aims to protect the lenses, you can see why people are having problems.

Since Apple are pushing MagSafe I don’t know much they will care about this problem.
I don't think the camera ridge is too much of an issue. My note 20 ultra has a much bigger, crazy camera ridge and, without a case, always charges perfectly. It also charges OK with the case 90 % of the time. I only had one journey where I had problems getting it to charge

Reactions: tbwnm
The taptes Mk2 charger interestingly changed its design to allow sideways charging. I don’t use that feature but it really is an excellent quality piece of equipment. Much nicer than the flappy mat that the car came with and doesn’t seem picky about phone positioning.

I have that version 2 Taptes charger. For an IPhone 12 Pro Max with generic clear case, the charging in landscape position is not reliable. I ha e not checked it without the case but I don’t plan on using my phone without a case...

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado
Just realised I posted this in the wrong thread.

Very quick investigation today: My iPhone 12 pro seems to have no problems charging without a case. I had to be careful with placing but it worked ok. With a case on (Apple leather case) it didn't pick it up at all. No matter how much fiddling about I did. Size wise: even with the case it's much easier to fit on the charger than my Note 20 Ultra.

This is all with the late 2020 OEM Wireless Charger.

The ease with which I get it to charge caselss would suggest if you are still having a problem it might be worth getting the phone replaced

I don't think the camera ridge is too much of an issue. My note 20 ultra has a much bigger, crazy camera ridge and, without a case, always charges perfectly. It also charges OK with the case 90 % of the time. I only had one journey where I had problems getting it to charge
Just realised I posted this in the wrong thread.

Very quick investigation today: My iPhone 12 pro seems to have no problems charging without a case. I had to be careful with placing but it worked ok. With a case on (Apple leather case) it didn't pick it up at all. No matter how much fiddling about I did. Size wise: even with the case it's much easier to fit on the charger than my Note 20 Ultra.

This is all with the late 2020 OEM Wireless Charger.

The ease with which I get it to charge caselss would suggest if you are still having a problem it might be worth getting the phone replaced

Neilio, the problem in our case is...the case with the raised ridge! iPhone 12 charges fine on Tesla supplied pad without case, and also works fine with a different case ftom same manufacturer tgat dues not have the raised ridge.

We favor this particular brand because they use only recycled plastic, so we were happy to find a workable solution.

Durzel, you are correct about the Apple universe! The appeal is the ease with which all devices and systems communicate within the Apple world, and they get you hooked on the plug and play aspect. And beautiful design. But they use this to also charge you way more for similar or lesser tech!
And ever since Steve Jobs “left”, there have been lots of irritatingly non-consumer friendly decisions made.

As to Tesla and Apple, if you look again at your beautifully clean and legible interface on your M3 or Y, you’ll note that Tesla paid Apple a great compliment in that “imitation is the sincerest form of flattery,” as my mother taught me. Tesla has used the same font and and many design decisions made by Apple. Now if only they would bring their voice controls up to Siri’s level—even though Siri’s is still crude, it beats current Tesla tech hands down at correctly identifying contacts and giving a closer to good hands free dialing experience.

Last edited:
I find on my 70 plate 2020 pre-facelift M3 with the shipped charging mat and new style frunk that the driver's side charge mat isn't 100% reliable and will occasionally drop off charging my 12 pro, put it on the passenger side and it works flawlessly it's in the apple mag safe case, possibly the drivers' side coil on the mat is slightly off compared to the coil in the 12 pro but lines up better on the passenger side?!?!

I find on my 70 plate 2020 pre-facelift M3 with the shipped charging mat and new style frunk that the driver's side charge mat isn't 100% reliable and will occasionally drop off charging my 12 pro, put it on the passenger side and it works flawlessly it's in the apple mag safe case, possibly the drivers' side coil on the mat is slightly off compared to the coil in the 12 pro but lines up better on the passenger side?!?!

Maybe it's optimised for LH drive ?

Agreed, passenger side seems better, also upside down, must be the Australian mats they’re using.

• Funny
Reactions: Durzel