Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone 14 Pro Max in Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone had success with a clear plastic case for the iPhone 14 Pro Max that will wirelessly charge on the Model Y? Tried this one Mkeke for iPhone 14 Pro Max but unfortunately the extended frame/lip around the camera lenses caused the case to not lie flat against the center console charging pad on the, so as the phone not lying flat and making sufficient contact with the wireless charging pad, the phone will not charge. If I remove the case, the iPhone 14 Pro Max phone charges fine.
This one works on the passenger side but only sometimes on the driver's side: https://www.amazon.com/TORRAS-iPhone-Pro-Max-Case/dp/B0B5LMQH28/

On the driver's side I have to apply pressure to the phone for a few seconds till it starts up and then can let off the pressure. On a 1hr road trip the phone got so hot it disabled charging. I've only had the MY for 1 week so haven't tested longer charging on the passenger side yet.

Mous case on 14 pro max with 2022 model y doesn’t charge. It does with no case.
Mine does with the same case, but only on the left side (probably to do with the camera bump more than anything else!)

Given the battery is lasting easily 3 days for me and the wired connection is at max speed in the car, I am not too fussed about using wireless charging with all the associated extra heat..

They both look to be the same case to me. One from the UK Amazon store and one from the US amazon store. Only difference is white vs graphite? Can’t understand what the difference could be?
Beware, based on this thread with people saying this case worked, I ordered this one (Graphite color) and it DID NOT work on 2022 Model Y charging pad: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0B1PL8TLT?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1 I also have a 2018 Model 3 with aftermarket Taptes charging pad (the one that supports portrait and landscape charging) and it DOES charge on that on both sides and landscape. My Model Y also won't charge an iPhone 12 Pro Max with this case Rebel Series Gen-2 yet it charges fine on the Taptes. My conclusion is Tesla uses a weak coil for their pads. Anyone find a case that actually works!?

Beware, based on this thread with people saying this case worked, I ordered this one (Graphite color) and it DID NOT work on 2022 Model Y charging pad: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0B1PL8TLT?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1 I also have a 2018 Model 3 with aftermarket Taptes charging pad (the one that supports portrait and landscape charging) and it DOES charge on that on both sides and landscape. My Model Y also won't charge an iPhone 12 Pro Max with this case Rebel Series Gen-2 yet it charges fine on the Taptes. My conclusion is Tesla uses a weak coil for their pads. Anyone find a case that actually works!?
Also it won't charge on the Y with phone upside down either...

I have the same case for a iPhone 13 Pro Max and that doesn't charge on the old style Tesla wireless charger either (the one that was an accessory). It charges if I have a clear case (no MagSafe).

It does charge on a regular Qi wireless charger I have on my desk.

I don't think MagSafe cases work with the Tesla wireless chargers either current or old.

I have the same case for a iPhone 13 Pro Max and that doesn't charge on the old style Tesla wireless charger either (the one that was an accessory). It charges if I have a clear case (no MagSafe).

I don't think MagSafe cases work with the Tesla wireless chargers either current or old.
2022 Q2 Model Y, haven't had any problems whatsoever with a 13 Pro or a 14 Pro Max on either driver or passenger side wireless charger, with ether Apple MagSafe Leather and Silicon cases or Otterbox "thin" MagSafe cases fitted. 🤷‍♂️

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel

Changed my case for a MagSafe one on my 12 Pro Max and it is better than the previous case I had.

However none work that well, they will charge intermittently/slowly and heat the phone because coils aren’t aligned and the camera bump creates a gap. This is why some people claim it is fine and others not (a bit like Telsa auto wipers).

I‘ve gone with a phone mount and given up with the charge pad. I can charge correctly, use a decent sat nav and play/control podcasts.

Reactions: Durzel
The older style wireless charger had a recess to account for the camera. I'm sortof surprised the current console doesn't do this, given that camera bumps aren't going away.

1505465-00-A_alt_2000-1024x1024.jpg

Cross posting this from another thread iPhone Pro Max in Model Y. The Spiegen Ultra Mega Fit is less less than half the price of the Apple MegaSafe case.

Was it this one Spiegen Ultra Mega Fit? The OEM Tesla wireless charging pad doesn't support MegaSafe, but utilizes Qi and as mentioned by Durzel earlier in the thread the "MagSafe cases add a big magnetic ring on the back of the phone, so it's hardly surprising they impede regular Qi charging" But I guess the design of the Spiegen case with the MegaSafe charging ring allows the back of the phone to make contact with the charging rings on the charging pad? It would be interesting to know the difference in the rate of charge with the Spiegen and/or Apple MegaSafe Case on vs off (Tesla's OEM Qi-enabled inductive phone charger should be able to charge at up to 15W of power). I also noticed that when charging with the case off, the back of the phone gets quite warm (I don't remember that being the case with my previous iPhone 11 Pro Max).

I have the same case and it doesn't charge on my 2022 Model Y. Won't charge on the left, the right, or upside down. This is the case Amazon.co.uk

I guess I might be fortunate then, i don't even have to manoeuvre it either, just chuck it in and it charges

Reactions: Utumno
Bit the bullet and paid $49 for the Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max Clear Case MagSafe and it would not charge so its been returned and back to the drawing board for me again (this is the 5th clear case I have tried and so far no dice!).
3D57FC3F-67CE-4B51-AF48-F9E6FC5BD1E4.jpeg

back to the drawing board for me again
Do you really need wireless charging when the battery lasts multiple days, wireless charging causes the phone to get hot and the wired charging can easily add a days worth of runtime in 30 mins (way faster than wireless)

I could see the point of wireless charging on previous phones (I had a Samsung that lasted a day when used that I always felt the need to top up) but with the run time of the iPhone 14 pro max, battery anxiety is a thing of the past!

I normally only charge 2 or 3 times a week now!

You can get some very thin cases from Aliexpress, etc. I’d suggest if you’re trying to use a case with the MagSafe ring on the back then you’re probably going to struggle.

The good news is that you don’t really need the case ring, the phone has its own magnetic ring which will “locate” on a MagSafe charger. It just won’t be good enough to work as a phone mount.