Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2021 Model S Unveiled January 27, 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the stalks gone, how will drive modes be selected (park/reverse/drive/neutral) or autopilot/cruise enabled? Surely not through the screen, right?
upload_2021-1-27_21-33-36.png

Anotherone here questioning that steering thing.

As someone never uses autopilot, and goes on the long haul, less places to put your hands might get tiresome and fatiguing on long drives.

Also not a fan of wood in interiors in general. Seems so dated. The white and the wood just does not go together at all, and the shade of beige seems well, 1986.

Sorry to be so negative, but lastly no new exterior colours. I think I have been reading about state of the art paint shop coming for years. How bout bringing back silver at least?

Last edited:
So my plaid reservation made with a $1k deposit on battery day is now listed as plaid+, which is good if I am right when I speculate on what the plaid+ is likely to be. Most of the listed upgrades for the two cars come in the regular plaid: three motors, torque vectoring, the interior re-design. The only substantial listed spec differences are 1100+ v 1050 hp -- not a large percentage difference, and of course 520+ mile range v. 390, which is huge. So as I think most people agree, plaid+ uses 4680 cells.

The question is what does plaid+ given you beyond plaid, given that the $20k price difference from plaid to plaid+. Just a bigger pack for more range and slightly faster acceleration? After all, 4680 cells are ultimately supposed to be cheaper for Tesla per kilowatt.

I suspect (and hope) that what you actually get is a car that provides sustained track performance due to the superior thermal design of a structural 4680 pack as well as the electrical performance of the cells themselves. My hope is that what goes with this are the aerodynamics needed for track performance: big diffuser, front air splitter, brake cooling vents, etc. And of course larger disks. So the result is that while the plaid is more of a typical Tesla drag racer, the plaid+ is the Nurbergring killer with the ultimate in road course performance. Or at least that's my hope.

Well I actually imagine spinning that yoke around pretty easily. I like the new generation design language, personally. Even though I still love my “vintage” S, I’m glad they didn’t play it too safe and did something different. It was a different landscape 10 years ago when the S needed to be more conventional in order to be an acceptable transitional vehicle for a mostly EV-naive customer base.

Full Lock - Monaco
y0121tt66yb21.jpg
You do notice that the wheel is rotated past upside down and it is his right hand, also upside down, on the left side of his cockpit. Just think of how many times a day you rotate the steering wheel a full 360. Unless they have solved variable steering to the point of a 90 degree rotation will let you go full lock at low speed this is going to be a pain.

I have, he seems to do just fine. Too fine if you are a Ferrari fan :)
He does do fine , of course with the Monaco steering rack he only has to turn the wheel a bit over 1/2 way around. How often do you rotate your steering wheel a full 360 during the day? I do quite often , just saying I think this would be a real pain unless it’s is a by-wire setup where you don’t have to rotate the wheel more than 90 degrees

Two comments:
  • first, I'm a big skeptic of the non-wheel steering wheel, and I suspect it'll take just one accident when a driver can plausibly argue in court that they lost control because they reached for something (part of a steering wheel) that "wasn't there" to bring this to Earth;
  • second, any phone charging below eye-line is useless to me, since--absent Apple Car Play integration--I rely heavily on my iPhone for intelligent navigation (much better than what Tesla offers, and integrated with everything else on my phone). Yes, I know others' differ on this, but I'm just expressing my opinion.
Otherwise, I'm happy to see the S AND X continue and evolve!