Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 70 RWD or classic P85

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you don't need AWD, I'd go with the 70 with next gen seats, AP, and pano if you like it.

If you need AWD, for the same price you could go 70D with textile seats and AP, no pano. (i'm in Canada and am fine with RWD)

Build quality much better on new, if you go CPO (and yes go CPO for the warranty, don't buy straight used)

AP is a huge upgrade (I don't have, but would love), so I would be going new, or a lightly used CPO 70, 70D, or 85.

I made the same decision a few months ago. I got the S70 with the few options I wanted - I am SUPER HAPPY with my choice - got everything exactly as I wanted it and the range is fine for me (I moved up from a Leaf that only went 70 miles on a good day). Also have no issue with the speed of my car, I have found myself driving way too fast and I do not have a performance car. No issues passing anyone either. My wife and I debated this decision for a while, but we are planning on keeping it a while, so wanted the latest, with the option for an 8 year warranty.

"sir"?, why would refer to someone as "sir" that has "Ms" in their screen name?.
Fixed.
When I see "Ms", I see "Microsoft". And I had a few drinks. It was my birthday after all.

To the OP: RWD 70 is your best bet if trying to get AP hardware (better resale value) and stick to a price point. I doubt the day-to-day would be much different with an 85, D or P model. Maybe a CPO from after those changes?
This is a high-end car, and the base model is a misnomer. There is no such thing, especially since they made pretty much everything in the tech package standard across the board (TACC, parking sensors and now AP hardware).

New 70 would get my vote. Range would not be too far apart when compared to a CPO P85. And, yes, lots of improvements in the car.

If you can stretch, and are planning on keeping this car for a long time, an 85D is the best Model S you can get, all things considered. Look for a CPO 85D if they've started appearing on the market.

Drove the rwd 70 yesterday and a 90D. Mother of God, the 90D was crazy. 70 is quite a car itself. Still don't know what I'm going to do, but I enjoyed the test drive:)

Comes down to your budget really....85D/90D is a big step up financially from a 70 or even 70D if ordering new.

I don't feel any of the options pkgs are must haves anymore except for AP. Textile seats are really good and piano black trim looks great. Standard audio sounds really good. (if you were going to upgrade I would stick to standard and then add NVX sub pkg which sounds better and saves $) Pano roof isn't very expensive anymore if you prefer it.

If going CPO I would want lightly used with AP, but I don't think you will find that, and if you do, chances are it will be fully loaded or close to it, which will kill your budget anyway.

The D will give you better traction, better acceleration, better handling, and a bit more range. But the RWD is no slouch in any of those categories either, and will give you more frunk room, and will be a bit quieter, plus saves you 5k. And if you go 70D, it's only 5k more to move up to a RWD 85, but I think the AWD benefits are a better bang for the buck than the increased range on the 85, unless you are road tripping all the time.

So, I would be ordering a brand new 70 or 70D with AP and pano (if you like), no other options, textile seats (or next gen if you love them).

Ordering new gives you no surprises, and the build quality now is excellent. Plus, you get the option down the road to extend the warranty.

It depends on the P85. There is nothing classic about my P85 delivered Dec 2014. It has all the "bells and whistles" and hauls ass.

Your P85 would be $30k out of my price range. Any P85 that I bought through CPO would be 30k VIN max. Would be early car with no AP. Basically trading new build quality and AP for a few more amenities and a LOT more speed.

Don't forget colour choices. :) I was in love with the Sig Red so that was the car I had to have. Yes, I have some sunroof squeaking that service will need to work on harder, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. We'll see if I regret this in a few years.

The discontinued brown and green were interesting colours as well.

I would go with the new 70, D if possible. My first S was a P85 without autopilot and now I have a P85 with autopilot. If I had to give up either the "P" or the autopilot, I'd probably vote to give up the "P." While the zippy acceleration of the P85 is very nice, it's more of a novelty. On every drive of any significant distance, the convenience and comfort features bring me more value than the acceleration. You'd also be getting a newer build, probably a better warranty, and the intrinsic thrill of a brand new car, built exactly as you wanted.

Having driven AWD compared to RWD, I would stretch for AWD, if possible, even in mild climates. The improved handling of the AWD is more of a thrill, I think, than the increased acceleration of the P85 over the 70D would be.

On a budget, which I was too, today I'd probably order a 70 and choose the color, and AP.

New:
Improved build quality. Spec the car to your liking. CPO you will not be eligible for the federal tax credit, so don't forget to factor that in the cost of new*. You may be able to add whatever you want after all. Maybe even the 70D if that's important to you.

CPO:
I assume your CPO P85 will have the power liftgate and lit door handles, pano, leather seats, and of course better acceleration off the line.
You mentioned more amenities, but I don't think there's really that much you'd get with the CPO that you wouldn't get with new, and the new car would have some amenities the CPO would not: no parking sensors or folding mirrors if you go with an early CPO.
So let's just stick with better acceleration as the main factor.

I think you'd be happier long-term with the new 70. You really shouldn't need to add much to make it exactly what you want. For my money, an early CPO P85 would have to be a pretty good deal to offset the tax credit and build quality, and the new tech features.

* Be aware the federal tax credit caps at your tax liability, so I can't assume you'll get the whole $7500.