Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 75D vs CPO 85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've been wracking my brain on this for some time.

If I design my new 75D, bare bones, except silver 21s, and Obsidian...it comes to $80k, or $72,500 after tax incentives.

If I search for similar 85Ds on EV CPO, I can find this car
Model S 85D 5YJSA1H28FF092793 | Tesla
which is nearly identical, but is a 2015 with 26,000+ miles.

It lists for $74,500

What am I missing? I know the CPO has smart suspension and premium lighting and sound. (Do the new cars have smart suspension anymore, I can't find it). Is that it? Lighting, sound, and suspension? For $2k more. Apparently, the new 75D is faster too, and it's range is pretty much the same as an 85D.

I know I asked a lot of questions, but why are the 85Ds so pricey? Why wouldn't I just get a new car?

Well, that 85 also has pano, leather seats, AP etc. So if you spec out a new 75D as close as you can to the 85D, you are at $97,500 before incentives.

And the new 75D isn't faster, 85Ds all got a software speed "upgrade" at some point to like 4.2 seconds so the numbers on the CPO site are not accurate.

Well, that 85 also has pano, leather seats, AP etc. So if you spec out a new 75D as close as you can to the 85D, you are at $97,500 before incentives.

And the new 75D isn't faster, 85Ds all got a software speed "upgrade" at some point to like 4.2 seconds so the numbers on the CPO site are not accurate.
Pano, sure. But the new 75D has a glass roof. Okay, I get that pano opens.
Leather seats. Does the new 75D not have that?
AP? The CPO 85D has "AP 1 convenience features." Similar to the 75D with AP hardware?

Those are honest questions. With the battery sizes being so close, the CPO seems overpriced.

New 75D (manufactured this quarter, so not today's inventory) is faster or the same 0-60, it has 72KWh usable while 85 has 77KWh so ~15 miles less range, AP2 hardware which has a chance to actually be better that AP1 (it's not there yet) as far as safety features and EAP goes, plus 75D has a faster charger (48A but could be 72A as rumors have it all new cars will some with 72A now) vs. CPO has 40A (upgradable to 80A for $2K).

It is up to you now to decide what the other options, such as 21" wheels or pano, are worth to you.

Go new. New hardware, facelift, range probably isn't significantly different between a new 75D and a 2015 85D with 26K miles, both will have free supercharging, use a referral code and get an extra $1,000 off. All things point to new for me! Good luck. By the way, cool book!