Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 85kWH battery for my 2013 P85+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was replaced by Tesla under warranty. Just lamenting getting a refurbed doomed-to-die and be chargegated old 85kwh pack instead of a new pack like everyone in the U.S. has been getting since at least June.
I would wait until I get it back if I were you. Then you can see if it has more capacity and restored speed. Not all refurbs are bad. Please let us know after you get the car back.

I got ****ed in europe... 1088934-01-E is the battery my P85D just got replaced with. So pissed. Same garbage refurbs they've been doing since 2020. Is there anything I can do to get this swapped for a real battery? If it's chargegated worse than my original battery or the range is lower? I have screenshots of charging and of ScanMyTesla outputs, etc. from.my battery before. If the nominal kwh is lower or charging speed capabilities worse, etc. can I complain and get a real replacement?

I have to sell this ****ing car if it's going to have a chargegated refurbed 85kwh pack that's basically guaranteed to die in a year or so.
I don't think there is anything you can do in any of those cases. If the 'new' battery is showing lower range than the one they replaced, Tesla will just say that it needs to adjust itself and that can take months. You did not win the lottery on this one, but at least it is a working car again.

Congrats. I suppose it's the 1014116-00-C. You are showing 454 km which is ~282 miles. That's fantastic for a P85D. The highest I've seen has been ~297 miles on a non-P model S, which I believe is uncapped.

So, it appears you are slightly capped at 282 miles for your P85D especially since you notice it is still supercharging at 17 kw at 99%and having regen at full charge. That's just great.

Enjoy it.
This is fantastic because I have a “90” pack v1 which is only showing 267 on a good day at 100%. Anxious to see what my pack which is original to Dec 2015 charges at the new supercharger near my house that “should be” opening soon. The highest speed I’ve gotten so far is around 112kwh
ECC6217A-FBA7-4E15-BD99-7CAC8AE4306E.png

Last edited:
How can you *not* notice the massive increase in power? I had my P85D+ upgraded to P100DL+ by wk057 and the difference is HUGE! On Monday I was on a two-lane back road and had to pass a truck in a very short passing lane, and Ludicrous mode made it possible (and fun) to go from 40 to 80 in a flash.
I made a choice not to get ludicrous and it was a huge mistake. I had a loaner p90d that rattled like a shitbox, however it had ludicrous and moved noticeably different than insane. Now I have to have it

See my thread if you want to know what happened. I had a 85kWh B type pack before it died on the road during the last few weeks of warranty.. Here we are today with a new 90kWh software limited pack of 91.6%. Tesla is offering me $2900 to unlock the extra capacity, or Cotran Consulting is offering me $500 to unlock same capacity (using root access). The issue is I wont be able to upgrade to a MCU2 without losing the battery unlock. Supercharging is much faster and I feel awesome knowing I have a brand new pack. Old battery lasted 220,000km and was Alberta driven before I picked it up used in April 2019. A fresh new start with the 100kWh architecture and upgradable capacity. Motor was replaced August 2020, and previously before me it was replaced in 2018. Final warranty checkup on the 12th of April due to lost smoothness in the motor transition of power to regen, vice versa. Wish me luck 😬

Old 100% range was 395km, new 100% is 437km. 8.4% more ontop of that if I pay to unlock it.
View attachment 649827
How has this pack been holding up for you? I'm looking at a s 85d with the same battery replacement

This thread deserves a bump.

I recall reading it, over 2 years ago now, it got me a little bi-polar where I read a few posts of people having to replace their batteries, and I first worried my battery might die outside of warranty, and yet drooled over owning this newly created 350V 85/90 pack, (which most have concluded is simply 14/16ths of a 100 pack). Like many others, I now also have that pack, and I am ecstatic to say the least. Woke up at 2am last night I am so excited about retrieving my car and putting pedal to the aluminum and feeling the butt dyno! 😛

As most of us have observed in many other battery replacement threads the new replacement pack has gone from 1014116-00-A, to B, and now 1014116-00-C versions. If anyone has any valid speculation as to what these changes are please elaborate. Some questions/thoughts I have are:

• Perhaps the first ones (versions A/B) used reused cells/modules from salvaged 100's, and the C version are all new? (yes, the packs are labeled as "new" but @wk057 speculated they were using previously used cells/modules to build the pack, with new BMB/BMS components and updated venting etc. Most probably a failed 100 pack with a faulty module removed, along with another one, the knowledgeable ones assumed.) Perhaps they ran out of salvaged packs, and now C revision has all new cells/modules
  • Perhaps all versions have previously used cells/modules- with battery management board/system revisions only
  • Perhaps all versions had new cells and revisions were BMS changes or something else
  • Perhaps versions A were salvaged, but B and or C have newly built modules with old stock cells (NOS),
  • Maybe different chemistries in the cells? I am not as curious as many others following the company cell improvements in the model S 18650's over the years, but someone earlier in this thread suggested a possibility that version A to B might be a cell chemistry change, again maybe due to NOS supply.
Not sure what else might constitute a change, new fuse? updated plug? cooling? something else? but I don't think they would require a letter change for say a change in the colour of the penthouse.

I haven't seen any complaints in any of the revisions of this 90kWh 350V 1014116-00 pack, I optimistically presume whatever C means that this is as good as a 18650 can currently be, considering Tesla is using 10+ years of data and experience to construct it, within the possible constraints of the pack dimensions itself of course. I just hope this pack proves reliable long term, because I plan on owning this vehicle for a while yet. :)
How is you b pack holding up? I'm looking at a s 85d with the same pack

The 120kW Supercharging remains at that power up to how much %? How is the charge curve looking like? Just curious
Here's a video I made with the c variant. It never really reaches 120kw unless the battery is hot and plug in around 40%
I've seen it hold 100kw up to 56%, and feel like charging speeds aren't very consistent, however it's astronomically better than the old throttled battery, and better than the original battery. It takes 35 minutes to charge what used to take an hour and 15 minutes with the old battery

Thanks for the video

I was a bit disappointed at first, seeing not much difference in %, but then realised the size of the battery is quite different.
What I will remember is

1) Charging (from 10%) 40kWh took 23 minutes on the new one, vs 38 minutes on the old one. Quite a difference.
2) From 10% to 90% on the new one you charged 70kWh. So extrapolated, it means 87.5kWh capacity vs old one: 70kWh

Expensive out of pocket, but nice performance imho