Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New aftermarket TPMS won't read...how to fix?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a new set of sensors for summer wheels 18" at Discount tire and had the same issue! After several go arounds reprograming and replacing with same sensors nothing changed. Solution replaced duel frequency sensors with single frequency sensors. Apparently the duel frequency sensors are preferred because of cost!
Discount tire did not charge additional and were very helpful in finding a solution.

I buy Autel 433/315’s sensors in bulk because they cost about the same as 433’s or 315’s individually. I have used Autel sensors on many Teslas with no problems other than you can often get a bad sensor right out of the box. Whoever flashes them has to make sure it doesn’t show an error. You probably got one bad sensor, with the diagnosis tool it’s easy to find it without even removing the tire or sensor. That’s the problem with buying stuff online.
I am in the middle of a TPMS nightmare on my 2018 MS75D. I purchased a set of Arachnid wheels from someone that got them for referral, picked them up at the Tesla store and installed them on my vehicle. Would not sync with car. After waiting 3 weeks for an appointment, Tesla mobile service threw up their hands, the guy was obviously uneducated about TPMS. Tried to make a service appointment, they wanted to keep my car for a week. Can't be without it.

I purchased an Autel programmer and confirmed they were Gen 1 sensors and not compatible with my car. Purchased four, Autel dual-frequency sensors, programmed them specifically for the Model S, had them installed by Discount Tire and still have the "Tire Pressure Monitoring System Fault" message. I have tried every possible solution, short of starting over. Deflated tires, reprogram all four, reinflate, reset car, reset TPMS, let it sit 20 minutes, reset while driving, reset while park, reset while resetting. Today I copied the original IDs from the Tesla sensors (which the Autel programmer reads perfectly) to the new wheels/sensors.

The programmer works perfectly, no errors when programming or reading. The vehicle simply will not read the sensors.

Autel has "given up" and referred it to their engineers. I could put the old tires/wheels back on (don't want to do that), I could pay Discount Tire (again) to swap the old sensors into the new wheels (painful, expensive and time consuming).

Any suggestions beyond what I've already done?

Autel MX 315MHz+433MHz 2in1 TPMS Programmable Sensors from Amazon. Various posts in the forums say they work although one person said the dual-frequency sensors wouldn't work on his vehicle.

The Autel web site says they're compatible, the Autel programmer indicates the same thing and their support staff (which have been real fast to email back, amazingly) also say they work. But they don't.

I wanted to keep old wheels/tires (they're nice, 21" twin turbines) for backups, taking the sensors from them defeats the purpose of having them.

It's annoying, I spent the money for the Arachnids, Tesla has been ZERO HELP (I should write another post about how bad the service appears to be and the "don't care" attitude of the service writers is here in LV), I spent over $300 for the programmer (figured it would come in handy at some point) and the four new sensors. Then paid Discount Tire $160 to swap the sensors. Not their fault they don't work although their insistence that they "work on Teslas a lot" sure proved to be wrong. Not really wanting to go back there either, first bad experience I've had at Discount Tire in years of buying tires and wheels from them.

I'm not complaining about the money, I certainly brought this on myself, quick fix is go back to old tires/wheels and sell Arachnids but that just gives someone else the headache, and I'm stubborn, don't want to do that.

Autel says their engineers are looking at it, time will tell.

Last ditch effort before selling Arachnids, I suggest getting 433MHz Autels (if the 433s are recommended for 2018 Model S). You can return the dual freq to Amazon.

Have Discount tire install the programmed 433s - they should do it without re-charging you. Worst they can say is no if you ask nicely.

I installed the 433 Autels that I programmed, using $60 Autel MaxiPad programmer, to aftermarket rims, then paid PepBoys $80 to balance/mount Sport 4S tires to the rims. I installed the tire/rims to my 2018 Model 3. They worked without problems.

Sort of a PSA and update on this issue. After two months of frustration, finally figured out the problem. Apparently Tesla Mobile Service while trying to get the new wheels/sensors to work (the ones provided by Tesla) did not figure out they were Gen 1 sensors. They would never work with the vehicle. However, the technician changed something in the vehicle with his laptop meaning NOTHING was going to work.

After a lot of emails with Autel (they were great, BTW) I finally put the old wheels/tires back on. The would NOT WORK EITHER!

A quick trip to Tesla Service (after waiting two weeks for an appointment) determined the problem, they changed the setting in the car (using a laptop) and fixed the problem. I swapped back to the new wheels/tires with the Autel sensors after and the car picked them up immediately.

Problem solved, lots of time wasted.

• Informative
Reactions: RoBoRaT
Think I might have come up with a different name if I was responsible for this product, lol.

It's brilliant. Now you can never forget - it's forever "stuck" in your brain :eek::D
MaxiPAD.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: bedoig
I am in the middle of a TPMS nightmare on my 2018 MS75D. I purchased a set of Arachnid wheels from someone that got them for referral, picked them up at the Tesla store and installed them on my vehicle. Would not sync with car. After waiting 3 weeks for an appointment, Tesla mobile service threw up their hands, the guy was obviously uneducated about TPMS. Tried to make a service appointment, they wanted to keep my car for a week. Can't be without it.

I purchased an Autel programmer and confirmed they were Gen 1 sensors and not compatible with my car. Purchased four, Autel dual-frequency sensors, programmed them specifically for the Model S, had them installed by Discount Tire and still have the "Tire Pressure Monitoring System Fault" message. I have tried every possible solution, short of starting over. Deflated tires, reprogram all four, reinflate, reset car, reset TPMS, let it sit 20 minutes, reset while driving, reset while park, reset while resetting. Today I copied the original IDs from the Tesla sensors (which the Autel programmer reads perfectly) to the new wheels/sensors.

The programmer works perfectly, no errors when programming or reading. The vehicle simply will not read the sensors.

Autel has "given up" and referred it to their engineers. I could put the old tires/wheels back on (don't want to do that), I could pay Discount Tire (again) to swap the old sensors into the new wheels (painful, expensive and time consuming).

Any suggestions beyond what I've already done?
Im having the same EXACT issue. Do you know what setting Tesla had to change to get it working again. I mean... we have the identical issue. Bought arachnids with gen 1 sensors, I have gen 2 tpms. Didnt know that the arachnids had gen 1 sensors so i had Tesla try to get it to work. Then I tried to put my original wheels back on and now they dont work.

I bought a new set of sensors for summer wheels 18" at Discount tire and had the same issue! After several go arounds reprograming and replacing with same sensors nothing changed. Solution replaced duel frequency sensors with single frequency sensors. Apparently the duel frequency sensors are preferred because of cost!
Discount tire did not charge additional and were very helpful in finding a solution.

Dueling sensors .... en garde!