Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

new All Glass Roof, cost to upgrade not that straight forward

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love the Amazing design of the new all glass roof and approached my DE to upgrade my existing order (no VIN assigned yet) on a MS with old style panoramic sun roof. Guess what, the upgrade is not a simple change off paying the difference between the costs of the two options.

My DE was very clear that if I wanted to upgrade to the new style sun roof my standing order (and all the pricing of options associated to it) will have to be "refreshed" with the new pricing off all features/options.

Over the last couple of months Tesla went through a number of price increases and in my case the difference between the old order and the new order would be an additional £2600 (price difference for S90D Base model from when I ordered to today's price) plus some smaller numbers for features that are now more expensive than in the past.

Now the struggle I have, should I shell out an additional £2600 for the new style all glass roof?

I love the Amazing design of the new all glass roof and approached my DE to upgrade my existing order (no VIN assigned yet) on a MS with old style panoramic sun roof. Guess what, the upgrade is not a simple change off paying the difference between the costs of the two options.

My DE was very clear that if I wanted to upgrade to the new style sun roof my standing order (and all the pricing of options associated to it) will have to be "refreshed" with the new pricing off all features/options.

Over the last couple of months Tesla went through a number of price increases and in my case the difference between the old order and the new order would be an additional £2600 (price difference for S90D Base model from when I ordered to today's price) plus some smaller numbers for features that are now more expensive than in the past.

Now the struggle I have, should I shell out an additional £2600 for the new style all glass roof?

That's a tough call. I only had to pay an additional $500 for the order change so it was an easy decision for me. The question is only one you can answer. Are you going to be happy without the all glass roof? If no, buy it. If so, will making the change add 2600 gpb worth of additional happiness to the car?

If you already have the panorama roof on order, I would likely keep what you have. The glass roof is stunning, but I am in the same boat as you are (ordered in June and car is slated to be delivered in December). Looking at pictures, it seems to me that both the glass roof and panorama roof will have the most profound effect in the back seat. The pictures I saw on Electrek do make it look like the glass roof extends a bit more forward than the panorama roof, but again, I think the experience from the driver's seat is going to be somewhat similar between the two.

If you have the metal roof, the decision becomes a bit harder. I think the glass roof is a nice upgrade, but that is a LOT of extra $$.

I would say no to the glass roof and keep the pano roof. Sitting in the drivers seat, I doubt you'll notice the difference between the two.

I'd take the glass roof simply because I'd rather not deal with the extra seals and the crossbar in the middle of the cabin. For me it would not be worth the £2600 or roughly $4000 cost to switch to the all glass roof from the pano.

Reactions: J1mbo
Thanks guys for your advice seems like pricing for @HebrHmr turned out to be exactly what I would have expected. I can't really follow the argumentation of Tesla that they need to redo the whole configuration and with this up all the prices to today's levels. Seems like they simply want to get every penny worth out of changes to existing orders. Not nice.

About noticing as a driver the difference between pano or all glass roof as @shokunin mentioned. It looks like the pano roof side bars left and right along the doors are much wider than the ones for the all glass roof. The all glass roof would give me more space between the upper door pillar and my head. If that makes any sense..