Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New and Confused

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone. As the title says, I just got my S 90D 3 days ago and I have lots of questions that I hope some of you can help me with.

1. I will start with the LTE service. I rarely get more than 1 bar of connection and the result is that my streaming services and internet don't work well but particularly my music streaming can't even play a full song without buffering. I live in Toronto and my wife has cell service with Rogers which works fine but not the car's LTE service. It also seems unaffected by location. It's lousy everywhere I go. Is this normal? Any fixes?

2. Summon will not work from my app, now how, no way. I get an error saying either can't connect to network or my fob isn't near the car. Every time I've tried it the fob is in my pocket less than 20 feet from the car. Summon is turned on in the settings.

3. I set up my garage homelink with automatic open/close when I come and go. It WAS working perfect but I had to hit "skip" once when I was leaving and now it doesn't auto close when I leave but still auto opens when I get home. I figure this one is just a setting I've missed.

4. Is auto Park available in Canada? I have AP1 on my car and I thought I had auto park but maybe I am wrong.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Reactions: Jaff
Congratulations and welcome to TMC.
1) Unfortunately LTE has been the same for quite a long time...there are tons of posts on this Issue....buffering for streaming music is normal....I dont think there are any fixes, you may try the following but no promises it will improve ..
* Press and hold both scroll wheels on your steering wheel until the dashboard reboots.
2) Summon...I struggle with it and its embarrassing when you have friends requesting to see it function....Have your GPS location on , fob in your pocket , wifi & or data on and stay closer under 10 feet...it should work after a couple of tries..
3) Easy one...YES..I have AP1 as well..Parallel and perpendicular auto park available...the parking space should be between the TWO cars , only then it identifies the parking space. ..look for you videos on how to auto park.

#1 and #2 could be caused by a bad antenna. I had a similar issue when I first got my car and they replaced the antenna inside the driver's side mirror on the side of the car. I think there is another antenna on the other side mirror too. One or both of these could be bad. Take it in for service and they can run a diagnostic. Good luck!

Ok. I will try the antenna fix at my repair centre.

SMSMD - thx for the welcome. I will keep trying the Summon. I thought it might be tied into the LTE issue because getting my app to connect to my car only works about 15% of the time.

About the parking...I'm now 100% sure I wasn't doing it right.

Thx for all of your replies. Anyone have thoughts on the garage issue?

Hey everyone. As the title says, I just got my S 90D 3 days ago and I have lots of questions that I hope some of you can help me with.

1. I will start with the LTE service. I rarely get more than 1 bar of connection and the result is that my streaming services and internet don't work well but particularly my music streaming can't even play a full song without buffering. I live in Toronto and my wife has cell service with Rogers which works fine but not the car's LTE service. It also seems unaffected by location. It's lousy everywhere I go. Is this normal? Any fixes?

2. Summon will not work from my app, now how, no way. I get an error saying either can't connect to network or my fob isn't near the car. Every time I've tried it the fob is in my pocket less than 20 feet from the car. Summon is turned on in the settings.

3. I set up my garage homelink with automatic open/close when I come and go. It WAS working perfect but I had to hit "skip" once when I was leaving and now it doesn't auto close when I leave but still auto opens when I get home. I figure this one is just a setting I've missed.

4. Is auto Park available in Canada? I have AP1 on my car and I thought I had auto park but maybe I am wrong.

Summon in Canada is completely useless, as far as I can tell. It's better in the US.

Similarly, the auto open-close is a bit of a gimmick. It's better to simply push the button on the screen. There's no risk of an accidental hood-mashing.

Congratulations and welcome to TMC.
1) Unfortunately LTE has been the same for quite a long time...there are tons of posts on this Issue....buffering for streaming music is normal....I dont think there are any fixes, you may try the following but no promises it will improve ..
* Press and hold both scroll wheels on your steering wheel until the dashboard reboots.
2) Summon...I struggle with it and its embarrassing when you have friends requesting to see it function....Have your GPS location on , fob in your pocket , wifi & or data on and stay closer under 10 feet...it should work after a couple of tries..
1) I, too, have a 90D with AP1. I live outside normal LTE/4G. My fix for music: I put 600 songs on a thumb drive. I am working on a second one. I just let it shuffle and it works great.
2) My summon has always worked. Don't know what I did or did not do. It helps to hold the fob roof until the car blinks, then press hood or trunk. I did it today when I came out of Home Depot. Big white construction van parked about a foot from my driver's side door. Thank You Summon!

1) I, too, have a 90D with AP1. I live outside normal LTE/4G. My fix for music: I put 600 songs on a thumb drive. I am working on a second one. I just let it shuffle and it works great.
2) My summon has always worked. Don't know what I did or did not do. It helps to hold the fob roof until the car blinks, then press hood or trunk. I did it today when I came out of Home Depot. Big white construction van parked about a foot from my driver's side door. Thank You Summon!
1) Yes I have a USB as well. .I don't depend on streaming.
2) Will try out your trick for the Summon ;)

So many great replies. Thank you all.

So...I got Summon to work in the parking lot at Lowes, which where I also got auto park to work as well!!! Very cool.

I also reset the screen and I did manage to squeeze 3 bars out of my LTE, but by the time I got on Hwy 427 I was back to 1 bar on my LTE. While I was at 3 bars the streaming was perfect, once on the highway...buffering again.

th.

1. Mine works ok. I usually have 3-4 bars, and usually get about 3 mbps download speeds. I'm not downtown Toronto though.
2. Mine works fine. I don't use it though. Don't see the usefulness yet.
3. I don't think it's supposed to close it. Just open it no? Or maybe I'm missing out on a cool feature.
4. Yes it is and it works. Perpendicularly and parallel.
2015 model S 70d with autopilot etc.

Summon does work, but I sometimes have issues getting one of my fobs detected. Think it has a deadish battery, so I have replacements coming.
Auto park is available, but I don't use it by choice. If I ever have to parallel park, then I'll use it. :p

Something I've read might get your garage door problem sorted: remove it and re'install' it. Generally that clears a lot of intermittent issues.

Similarly, the auto open-close is a bit of a gimmick. It's better to simply push the button on the screen. There's no risk of an accidental hood-mashing.
Auto open/close has been flawless for us so far. The risk of hood mashing can be easily resolved by installing a garage door safety sensor (most garage openers have it included these days). But the car appears to be smart enough to engage it from afar, I see the gate start moving when we're at the far end of the driveway.