Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Base Wheels - 19" Silver Slipstream in Model S Design Center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The thickness of the outer rim is what bugs me about this design too. I didn't mind the original stock wheels. I like the bottom option, looks good. Can't understand the price jump to the Cyclones from these, minor differences, but when you're paying this much it all matters!

Someone else pointed out that this new 19" is the same style as the base Model X wheel. The heftier outer thickness is appropriate for an SUV or CUV, but less so IMO for a sport sedan.

I wonder if it was a cost savings measure to source the same style of wheel across both S and X lines.

Someone else pointed out that this new 19" is the same style as the base Model X wheel. The heftier outer thickness is appropriate for an SUV or CUV, but less so IMO for a sport sedan.

I wonder if it was a cost savings measure to source the same style of wheel across both S and X lines.

Agreed. Initially I was excited about the new look. However the outer thickness is causing the rim to look smaller than 19''. Now the old one looks exquisite to me...

- - - Updated - - -

The thickness of the outer rim is what bugs me about this design too. I didn't mind the original stock wheels. I like the bottom option, looks good. Can't understand the price jump to the Cyclones from these, minor differences, but when you're paying this much it all matters!

That's great idea. I think I am gonna execute this after receiving it.

The aero efficiency is overblown, the pizza pie rims are only good for a few more % distance, drive a tad slower if you care about the wH/km...

Oh, and I tried to buy the new 19 turbine look OEM rims, Tesla didn't have them available, so I went after market, and am VERY happy:
Smart ED and CPO Tesla S85 in Toronto

teslas_lowside-jpg.175726

Some have asked why anyone would now buy the 19" option wheel

The outer rim on the new base wheel is so thick that the cyclone looks 1-2" bigger in practice. I do also like the darker silver tone. The T-sportline options basically cost the same as the cyclones once you pay for shipping, taxes, and tire mounting/balancing. I've always felt pretty leary about putting aftermarket part/mods on my cars. So if I want a feature, I tend to either select the factory upgrade or learn to live without it. This is 12x true on a car this complicated and expensive. Once I had the car for a while I might be able to bring myself to get the wheels painted, though history suggests I won't.

Anyway, I know it's probably not "worth it" but I'm ordering cyclones (and the always controversial upgraded audio) because as he said "when you're paying this much it all matters!"

Some have asked why anyone would now buy the 19" option wheel

The outer rim on the new base wheel is so thick that the cyclone looks 1-2" bigger in practice. I do also like the darker silver tone. The T-sportline options basically cost the same as the cyclones once you pay for shipping, taxes, and tire mounting/balancing. I've always felt pretty leary about putting aftermarket part/mods on my cars. So if I want a feature, I tend to either select the factory upgrade or learn to live without it. This is 12x true on a car this complicated and expensive. Once I had the car for a while I might be able to bring myself to get the wheels painted, though history suggests I won't.

Anyway, I know it's probably not "worth it" but I'm ordering cyclones (and the always controversial upgraded audio) because as he said "when you're paying this much it all matters!"

Yep! For all the reasons you mentioned I decided on the 19" Cyclones too. I had considered getting the 20" TST when they were announced. Seemed to be a perfect split between the large size of the Tesla 21"s and the better ride, practicality of the 19" with the turbine look I love. But just like you mentioned, I figured was better to go with Tesla wheels that they would guarantee. Also there is a good chance I'll be using the resale guarantee and if I sold the stock rims to get an aftermarket set, not sure where that would leave me when it came to handing the car back. I'd need to store them and put them back on when it came to trade in, then I'd be left with the TSTs to sell etc, all seemed messy. I'm sure I'll be happy with the Cyclones when my MS arrives.

A few detailed photos of the new Slipstream wheels ... interesting valve design cutout.

View attachment 113962
Interesting view from the inside. Not very aerodynamic on that side! I checked my own Cyclone 19" wheels and they have a similar weight saving cutouts on the inside too. I wonder if anyone has thought of filling the cutouts with a very lightweight filler? Perhaps polystyrene foam capped with an epoxy layer to stabilise it.