Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Base Wheels - 19" Silver Slipstream in Model S Design Center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On March 4th the Tesla Model S Design Center showed a new base 19" wheel design which appears to have
replaced the long standard 19" 5 pair of double spoke silver wheels. This change does not appear to have any
increased cost. I have updated the Model S Options WiKi with this information.

Screen Shot 2016-03-05 at 10.30.52 AM.png

Do you know why the 19" Silver Cyclone wheels are "recommended" by Tesla?
Are the "Slipstream" wheels expected to be more efficient - as the name would seem to imply?

Yes they are more aerodynamic than the previous base wheel, also tesla gets its range numbers using those wheels I believe. I suppose they are still as they haven't changed the recommendation.

I just clicked on view design spec for my confirmed order and it shows the new wheels in the image. Its listed as WTAS (included)> i find it strange they just discontinue wheels and change them without your consent. They looks nice, but I havent seen them in person. Which the original 19' wheels have seen multiple times.....

Much more attractive than the prior base wheels and essentially a -2 version of the turbines. I wonder if they will phase out the cyclones given the similar aesthetic. At any rate, it seems harder to justify the $2500 premium for the cyclones now, unless there are other advantages (lighter weight? slight edge in aerodynamics?).

The Cyclones are "recommended" because they have a warehouse full of them that they are afraid they won't be able to unload.

Elon ~ "um, hey...can you guys in marketing do me a solid and recommend the $h!t out of those 19" Cyclones. um, thanks"

Seriously, I bet the "recommended" is an artifact from the website with the old standard rims.

Last edited:
I just clicked on view design spec for my confirmed order and it shows the new wheels in the image. Its listed as WTAS (included)> i find it strange they just discontinue wheels and change them without your consent. They looks nice, but I havent seen them in person. Which the original 19' wheels have seen multiple times.....

Update**
Just got the email from Tesla notifying me:

Dear Jorge,

We are pleased to announce a complimentary update to the design of the 19" wheels on your recent Model S order. You will be among the first in the world to debut this exciting new style and your wheels will still be equipped with all-season tires.
We have updated your Model S configuration which you can view in your MyTesla account. Your delivery timeline has not been affected by this update, and your vehicle price will not change.

On March 4th the Tesla Model S Design Center showed a new base 19" wheel design which appears to have
replaced the long standard 19" 5 pair of double spoke silver wheels. This change does not appear to have any
increased cost. I have updated the Model S Options WiKi with this information.
The stores are starting to get them. Here's what they look like in person:

IMG_9350.JPG

Interestingly, my UK order confirmed last night so I've just viewed my design spec and it still shows the previous style wheels.