TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

New battery pack, modules and cells

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Trev Page, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Trev Page

Trev Page Member

I was very carefully rewatching the video of the reveal and right when Elon starts mentioning safety you can see the schematic of the battery appear behind him.

I see 8 battery modules arranged lengthwise as opposed to the 14 on Model S / X. If you look very closely, the actual cells are much larger too. So, their comments at the financial call of Q2 in 2014 where they mention larger cells for Model 3 seems to be true now.

Less cells, larger size for more capacity and most likely updated chemistry, made in the US = cost savings they were looking for. Tesla has come through.

2. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

Speaking of "updates" to the Model S and X, I think the single most likely update for either of them in the next two years is a redesign of the battery pack to use the same modules as Model 3 uses. For fairly obvious reasons.

3. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

Just hope it doesn't use the 90 kWh cell chemistry. Super low impedance and heat tolerance would be what I'd look for.

4. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

What's wrong with the 90kwh chemistry?