Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Car Decisions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He has a wife and kid in the car (I assume), and yes, it's great off the line at the light to get ahead of the pack and cruise - however, most commute traffic is bumper to bumper and acceleration is less of a factor. To each their own driving style. Fair warning, all that acceleration is addictive and can and will equal to speeding tickets :)
Well obviously we don’t know all the factors at play but I’m not telling him to only get the performance. I was just pointing out downplaying the acceleration of the performance is a dumb way to talk yourself out of buying one. There’s no law that prohibits you accelerating as fast as possible to the speed limit, and saying you barely get a chance to do so is incorrect. AWD is a great choice as well, I was just pointing out the facts. PCONS post was pretty biased so I wanted to just clear up some information. You can get a speeding ticket even on the standard edition though haha

Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
Well obviously we don’t know all the factors at play but I’m not telling him to only get the performance. I was just pointing out downplaying the acceleration of the performance is a dumb way to talk yourself out of buying one. There’s no law that prohibits you accelerating as fast as possible to the speed limit, and saying you barely get a chance to do so is incorrect. AWD is a great choice as well, I was just pointing out the facts. PCONS post was pretty biased so I wanted to just clear up some information. You can get a speeding ticket even on the standard edition though haha

Whether there's a law or not, you get from 0 to 60km so quickly that you barely feel it. You feel it when going 0 to 80 but I'm almost never stuck at a red on an 80 limit on a daily basis. Practically every time I use the acceleration to the maximum, pedal to the floor (on my AWD) I end up over the limit.

Edit: Actually I might be giving an argument for getting the performance, as acceleration from 0 is kind of nerfed on non-performance from what I remember of the discussions.

1/4 pedal is already 0-60km before the line on the other side (downtown intersections). It's a lot of car for most driver who are used to ICEV :D.

Most times, I'm hitting the bell chime set at +18 in a 60 zone before I cross the line. P will do that in half the time lol.

I have an AWD 19" and a RWD Aero. The RWD is the trip car. Tires make a huge difference in range and the single motor adds even more. I figure about 280 for the AWD and 330 for the RWD. Both are very quick. The AWD is definitely quicker but the RWD is quick enough that there isn't much difference in commute driving. The AWD is more fun when entering a freeway with little traffic and having some fun. Tesla traction control is unbelievable. Even the RWD is great but I only have heavy rain to judge by. AWD might buy you something in snow.

• Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
Well that’s part of “if you can afford it” though. The website tells you it comes with 20” summers and all that, so you have to calculate accordingly.

I feel like that’s a terrible excuse for not upgrading to Performance. The best advantage of EV is the acceleration, and I use mine every chance I get since I love the thrill. You can definitely use the Performance acceleration to it’s full potential. I had a Performance for a day and can tell you I used the acceleration a lot so I don’t know what you mean by you barely use AWD acceleration, it’s not that fast for it to be unusable. Unless you just don’t like pressing hard on the pedal.

To each their own I guess, but life’s too short for me to say “I want this but...”. If you want it and can afford it, what more are you waiting for?

He has a wife and kid in the car (I assume), and yes, it's great off the line at the light to get ahead of the pack and cruise - however, most commute traffic is bumper to bumper and acceleration is less of a factor. To each their own driving style. Fair warning, all that acceleration is addictive and can and will equal to speeding tickets :)

I'll try and clarify what I meant about not being able to fully uncork the AWD, but I'll start off to address @5_+JqckQttqck about the wife/kid in the car: My wife yelled at me when I 1/2 pressed the pedal down once, so for sure that's a factor when she's in the car. Similarly, with a 17 month old in a rear facing car seat I can't really hammer the accelerator as often as I would like :oops:

But I was also saying that the AWD by itself is so fast that unless you are sitting beside a corvette or other crazy car AND the guy wants to go, you'll beat the pants off of most people off the line even with a moderate press of the AWD pedal. I actually rarely uncork the AWD fully because I dont want to look like the douche that's trying to race everyone. With the AWD I can easily get in front of anyone I need to (even if my reaction time is slow) without having to fully press the pedal. Hence, to me I would only really 'see' the difference in the P version if I was really coming up against another guy/gal determined to get in front of me (like if I had an AWD model 3 beside me :) )

Honestly it is to each their own, and I did make it clear that my choice to stay non-P was my personal opinion...but that's what the OP was asking for :D

My *opinion* may not be dispositive for all drivers but once I test drove the Model S at Yorkdale (years ago), there was *never* going back to an ICE car (and I came from Lexus). For me, the electric drive train is untouchable compared to a herky-jerky ICE transmission.

Now... I don't have a Model 3 but my S is a beast in the snow (I have a set of X-Ice 3's for the winter). The ONLY negative I can advise is that I do experience as much as 40% range loss on the coldest winter days, so I always preach that there is no such thing as too much range. So, I would always advise to get as much range as your budget allows.