Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Car! Paint issue :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey so pulled the trigger on a 2020 LR+ S! Very exciting. Looked the car over so much before purchase, seemed fine. And it mostly is. But on getting home found these white spots near the rear glass on the passenger side. They seem to be under the clearcost, just like freckles that did not get red paint on them. You can't feel anything where they are, nice and smooth.

I had hoped they could just paint over them but now Tesla is saying to call their body shop for extensive work! This is like the only issue with the car, I don't want to return it or really risk making things worse if we're talking about painting part of the car.

Anybody know what is going on here in the first place, and what a good way to deal with it is? I almost could live with it if it's safe to do so, but if these spots are going to rust or something then that's bad (cannot see how, again they feel completely smooth).

Attachments

• IMG_1856.jpg
    IMG_1856.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 255
Heh, yeah... tough call.

As for any risk to "living with it", your body panels are aluminum so they aren't going to rust. If the spots are under the clearcoat, I don't see how they're going to lead to paint failure or anything else.

You could buy the paint repair kit for your car color and paint over them. You dont need to paint large areas, just use tiny amounts of paint to cover over the white area and remove the paint from areas around it using the solution they give you. You can even do multiple coats after waiting latest coat to dry.

Agree that a tiny bab of touch up paint might be an easy fix.

Understanding that no car is going to be absolutely perfect this might be a quick resolution.

Would rather do that then take it into a body shop where they will respray a large area.

Keep the touch up paint for your first rock chip :)

I'd almost be tempted to "cut out" the white dots with a razor blade and then fill them with the Dr. Colorchip touch up kit. The only way you'll get them smooth is to remove the clearcoat over the top. Of course taking a knife to your brand new $80k car requires some nerves.

I'd find a good paint shop and ask for a third party opinion before I settled on either leaving it as-is or letting Tesla go to town and start respraying panels.

Thanks yes this is all good. I'll probably at least get the Tesla body shop to take a look and let me know what they think. I would probably be happy with some touch up paint although they could at least spring for it.

The car is so nice otherwise, this is really the only issue and I can't see repainting it over it unless it's required for some reason. Also can't see taking a knife to it, no way! Would live with small bump of touch up paint first.

Understanding that no car is going to be absolutely perfect this might be a quick resolution.
There is "absolutely perfect" and then there is something obvious like this paint defect on a visible surface, which should be caught on a Toyota Corolla, not to mention cars in the $80K+ price range. I bet this would lower a resale value of the car. If completely repainted, that by itself may be a warning sign on resale - "was the car in the accident, why was a whole panel repainted?". Personally I would look into diminished value estimates for leaving it as-is and repainting the whole area, then decide between these 2 options and returning the car under the 7 day money-back guarantee. Maybe Tesla is willing to cover the diminished value, which could also be a fair solution.

Of course this is Tesla, who claimed yellow screens were normal wear and tear due to exposure to oxygen and sunlight which does not affect the car's functionality, so maybe they can use the same excuse here, since the area is definitely exposed to elements but not at all affecting the car's primary functions. That said, if someone splashed white paint on their red showroom car in similar pattern, they would likely argue that's considered damage.

• Love
Reactions: croman and BigNick
Hey so pulled the trigger on a 2020 LR+ S! Very exciting. Looked the car over so much before purchase, seemed fine. And it mostly is. But on getting home found these white spots near the rear glass on the passenger side. They seem to be under the clearcost, just like freckles that did not get red paint on them. You can't feel anything where they are, nice and smooth.

I had hoped they could just paint over them but now Tesla is saying to call their body shop for extensive work! This is like the only issue with the car, I don't want to return it or really risk making things worse if we're talking about painting part of the car.

Anybody know what is going on here in the first place, and what a good way to deal with it is? I almost could live with it if it's safe to do so, but if these spots are going to rust or something then that's bad (cannot see how, again they feel completely smooth).
Wonder if the white dots are actually undercoat and there’s been some surface contamination during the paint process - maybe oil - which has stopped the pant adhering and caused those areas not to be painted? I’ve seen this before where cars have been painted Nd the surface is not properly prepped or has picked up contamination before the top coat is applied.

• Helpful
Reactions: croman
Couple notes:
3-5 years from now (Average years of ownership of a new vehicle in the USA), the presence of those dots will have almost zero effect on resale. Things that are considered "normal wear and tear" can be more extensive than that, and doesnt reduce resale value.
If you are going to have it addressed by TEsla, I'd ask lots of questions as to 1)what caused it and 2)What is their plan of fix. I'd personally even take the car to another reputable body shop in town just to get a free look/opinion on how they would fix if it were brought to them.
What I would not recommend, is any form of red respray. Too high of a risk that the "fix" (not just tint/hue, but depth of gloss, amount of orange peel, etc) will look worse than it does now.
However, if you do end up going for a respray? Take plenty of photos now, document, and save. That way if you go to sell later to a private owner and their concern may be around "was the respray due to accident"? You have documented evidence of the facts.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
I don’t know how Tesla would do it, but when I had a minor repair on my S, the body Shop did a blend. They pearl coated the area and then clear coated the panel. You can’t tell from factory. Standard operating procedure for shops. If car is red multicoat, I would definitely leave it alone if as minor as you report. That red is a nightmare to get right.

Last edited:
This comes down to personal preference. I think those spots are unacceptable on any car, much less a Tesla. I would return that car and request a new one. If it’s able to be repaired, they can fix it on their own time and resell it. You should not have to be without a vehicle while they attempt a repair and hope they can do it right. This is just my personal opinion and what I would do if it were me.

That should've never been allowed off the line. Anyone that says others have issues so it's ok needs to lay off the Kool Aid because their judgement is off or they are a paid Tesla apologist.

Hopefully they propose an acceptable solution to OP. OP likes the car in all other ways so definitely do due diligence on the drawbacks to any proposed solution. Multicoat red is notorious for never matching or creating equal paint depth on respray.

• Love
Reactions: AMPd
Once again it sounds like Tesla sacrifices their QC and customer service to ensure they hit their quotas on Tesla's sold.

I picked up my 2019 LR Model S last September and just thinking about how many defects I found upon pick up angers me.

Note, I would bring this to their attention ASAP so its documented in their system. How you go about it is a different story but at least notify them that you are aware of this

Good luck!

Once again it sounds like Tesla sacrifices their QC and customer service to ensure they hit their quotas on Tesla's sold.

I picked up my 2019 LR Model S last September and just thinking about how many defects I found upon pick up angers me.

Note, I would bring this to their attention ASAP so its documented in their system. How you go about it is a different story but at least notify them that you are aware of this

Good luck!

Hello thanks to all who are remotely interested in this. This here was the right answer unfortunately. I talked to the Tesla body shop and they #1 couldn't promise it wouldn't be more of an issue down the road, and #2 could promise that if I didn't deal with it now they would not cover repairs later. Also you're all right to the extent - nothing changes with Tesla if you let it slide. So it's in their shop now and I can only pray it is one color of red when I get it back. FWIW they were certain they could match it good as new, sounded very convincing. So here's hoping! I'll post some pics when its done.

They got me in a sweet Corolla now too, must do 0-60 in at least 12 seconds, maybe 11.5 downhill..

Reactions: Landen420
I talked to the Tesla body shop and they #1 couldn't promise it wouldn't be more of an issue down the road, and #2 could promise that if I didn't deal with it now they would not cover repairs later. Also you're all right to the extent - nothing changes with Tesla if you let it slide. So it's in their shop now and I can only pray it is one color of red when I get it back. FWIW they were certain they could match it good as new, sounded very convincing. So here's hoping! I'll post some pics when its done.
Hope and prayer are a very poor strategies - rarely successful. The problem here is you will miss the 7 day return time window if they don't fix it right. It goes into lemon law after that that and Tesla fights these things tooth and nail (they managed to convince a number of arbitrators what a yellowing main screen in a 6 month old car is normal wear and tear). And they didn't even get you a Tesla to drive while they fix it while I assume they took all the money for car and/or you're making payments on it already. :(

They got me in a sweet Corolla now too, must do 0-60 in at least 12 seconds, maybe 11.5 downhill..
It seems they gave you a broken or an old one since 2020 is supposed to do 7.8-8.6s 0-60mph (depending on options). But I bet it doesn't have factory paint defects like this. ;)

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Landen420
Final update! Dropped it off Friday got it back today (was done yesterday). I think it looks like it should. I'd say good as new, but that wasn't all that good hence the need for this topic to begin with. I couldn't tell anything from close or far, neither could the wife. So I hope this can stand as some evidence Tesla did a good job making the issue right.

I'm including this after pic although I hesitate just because it can be hard to capture what I am saying perfectly with an Iphone but certainly - no more white spots!

IMG_1860.jpg

Final update! Dropped it off Friday got it back today (was done yesterday). I think it looks like it should. I'd say good as new, but that wasn't all that good hence the need for this topic to begin with. I couldn't tell anything from close or far, neither could the wife. So I hope this can stand as some evidence Tesla did a good job making the issue right.

I'm including this after pic although I hesitate just because it can be hard to capture what I am saying perfectly with an Iphone but certainly - no more white spots!

View attachment 550518

I'm glad it worked out for you and that you are ultimately happy! Don't stare at it too long cuz if you do, you'll end up finding something that may bother you and if your OCD like myself, it's even worse.

Be Well, Stay Safe

Reactions: whitex and croman

View attachment 550518
I love your choice of color! I had a red one myself. Best color option in my opinion

F5F1497E-D4C5-4315-B2B7-C9A74FF8B78A.jpeg