Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Car smell...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am considering ordering a Model 3 to replace my current car. I have some chemical sensitivities and usually brand new cars give me headaches and make me feel dizzy due to the off gassing of the materials for a few months. Some cars are much worse than others. Can anyone (maybe with a similar set of sensitivities) comment on how bad the model 3 is in this regard? How bad was the off gassing when you got it? How long did it take to go away?

How bad is it? Hmm, I guess it depends on the person, because I do like the smell of a new car, especially the Model 3! I've had the car for about 2 weeks and have driven only 3 times, and I can say that the car and garage has the new car smell still. It's still fairly noticeable I would say...

I have the white interior, and it was initially fairly strong. It has either died down in the week of ownership, or I've become accustomed to it.
I don't get dizzy with chemical smells, but I can be sensitive to chemical smells.

I would snort new car smell rocks if Tesla sold them.

Intoxicating and will lament when it’s gone.

However to solve the problem -

I’m sure you can just roll the windows down and run AC through it. Good news is you can do it in the garage and not flood the house with CO2.

Second option is to stuff some pizzas in the trunk and Taco Bell bags in the car.

That new car smell will be gone in a day. :(

I am considering ordering a Model 3 to replace my current car. I have some chemical sensitivities and usually brand new cars give me headaches and make me feel dizzy due to the off gassing of the materials for a few months. Some cars are much worse than others. Can anyone (maybe with a similar set of sensitivities) comment on how bad the model 3 is in this regard? How bad was the off gassing when you got it? How long did it take to go away?

My wife is very sensitive to chemicals Aswell. Have not bought a new car yet.

I could drive the car for you for few months if you want.

My wife has this problem. When we bought her new Odyssey 5 months ago, we put multiple open boxes of baking soda throughout the car. This has worked for her in the past. After about 3 days of sitting in the garage with doors closed, the baking soda soaked up enough of the odor that she didnt get her headache driving it.

This tip i learned from someone who bought a used car from someone that was a smoker. I took that tip and tried it for my wife and it worked just the same, just different odor.

• Informative
Reactions: Lem89
I've purchased two new cars and I am very fond of that smell however, it did not linger very long for my model 3. Of course it's very subjective but I would say it smelled half as strong as a "normal" new car smell should be if that makes any sense. Maybe you should keep the windows down as much as you can until the smell dissipates...

Model 3 was my first new vehicle purchase so I have no frame of reference. Having said that the off gassing did make me dizzy and nauseous just the first day or so as I recall. I garage parked the vehicle with the windows down and also drove around with the windows down when possible. I think it was a non issue for me by the 5th day or so...

Hope that helps.
~Lou

Reactions: Lem89
Thanks for the replies. I guess the question isn't how "bad" it is, but how strong it is.

I don’t think anyone can really validate how strong the smell will be since every persons perception will vary.

Doubling the amount of variation is how the car is detailed and prepped.

Bottom line, this should not be the factor that decides a car purchase.

15,000 VIN in Oregon did not have a noticeable chemical odor. Delivered in April so temperatures 70 +/-. Picked up a Mercedes at the factory in Germany and it was so bad we had the windows down in 90 F heat and the AC on when driving. They have them in showrooms now, or hang around a supercharger and get a wiff after asking to "see" the GPS display, don't ask to "sniff" the car.

Is the strength of the new car smell really going to be what makes you decide to buy the car or not? It's such a subjective question. My car is over 4 months old and I still think it has a distinct new car smell every time I get into it. Maybe just better to follow the advice of some people in this thread and do what you can to eliminate the smell quickly if it's really that bothersome.

I tend to get headaches around chemical smells like strong perfumes or air fresheners.

I just got my Model 3 delivery yesterday. Drove it for 30 minutes. Got a headache from the strong new car smell.

Left it overnight in my garage with the windows open.

Day 2, the next morning, the whole garage had the new car smell. I drove to work and got another headache.

I'll let it air out overnight again. Hopefully the odor will dissipate in a few more days.

I'm tempted to leave the windows open outdoors, but it's been raining on and off here.