Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEW CARPET **** Has Anyone Considered or Replaced their Model S Carpet???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Honolulu MS

Hawaii Member
Aug 19, 2013
Hawaii
I am exploring the possibility of changing out the black floor covering for something either lighter in color or to match the interior trim. The question is how difficult is it to make the change? I understand that the seats and console would have to be removed, but after that because the floor is relatively flat, I am assuming it is a matter of refitting it under the trims and second seat. The existing carpet would serve as a template. I know that it is never as easy as it first appears -- so I thought I would see who might have some first hand knowledge. Thank you for any insight or advice.

Floor Mat makes a good Seat Cover for Dog on Passenger Seat (to mix these messages a bit).

Ranger installed new, improved floor mats and let me keep the old ones. So I poked one into the passenger seat and it has stayed in place since then. Serves as an excellent seat cover/protector for my 45 pound navigator. Seat bottom is tilted back so she won't get tossed to the floor in case of a panic stop. I try to remember to lean driver's seat forward when I leave her in car. Rear seats always down.

Replacing whole carpet - Your Service Manager might have a list of caveats from TM. Someone must have had to do this already for whatever reason (hazmat spill?). Best to check first. Big job!
--

Sounds like replacing the carpets is a fairly large project, but doable. Any reason you don't want to just use new floor mats?

I got some gray mats from Lloyds which work well. Whichever way you go, I really like having lighter carpets as it makes the car more enviting, and I can find things easier that drop on the carpets. If you have the lighting package, you can actually see the floors at night, whereas the black carpets make these lights almost invisible. Let us know how it works out.

I have the tan interior so I got the black Cocomats with tan dots for the front and back and I love them. They are heavy and stay in place. They also improve the color coordination feel IMHO.

I don't have a dog so I can't speak to the dog hair issue.

Replacing the full carpet for the interior (not just the mats) could be really difficult. I have not looked in detail at my car, but most modern cars use a molded carpet that has all of the turns up to the sills, etc made into them and duplicating this in the aftermarket or getting a flat carpet to fit will long these areas will likely be hard to do without it looking like an amateur job

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 245
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 217