Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New "Chill / Normal" acceleration modes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tried it and assume it’s for the timid among us. I want the tire-burning mode not the neuter-the-car mode. Very odd upgrade.

I think it's more for the situation where you might have a passenger who is sensitive to the acceleration or movement of an EV. To the uninitiated, the EV's motion is quite different from an ICE, and can make some people feel queasy. As Tesla owners/drivers, we've gotten very used to it, but I can see that some people might want to activate this on certain occasions.

I don’t understand what the “Chill” function does. Please clarify. Based on the post by @SomeJoe7777 does it reduce the initial acceleration rate?
It's actually quite interesting.
It reduces the force of acceleration, so you don't get thrown into seat.
But the really interesting thing is that if you quickly take foot off throttle there is a slight smoothing of the initial deceleration.
It doesn't seem to affect the max speed, but it sort of makes it easy to drive smoothly.

They should have called it 'chauffeur' mode.

• Informative
Reactions: Carl and GoTslaGo
It makes acceleration smoother, but also makes the onset of regen braking more gradual.
Maybe chill is for those who use their accelerator in the binary mode ON or OFF. For all others, just press the accelerator to the desired level of acceleration, and when decelerating, don't just lift the foot off the accelerator - just press the accelerator less, and the car will start regen deceleration proportional to the accelerator pedal.

Reactions: nico180