Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New "Chill / Normal" acceleration modes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you tried the Chill mode with low Regen? I vaguely recall @HankLloydRight had an issue with the even the standard low Regen causing car sickness in others. (Please feel free to ignore this ping if it's a case of mistaken identity).
No, but i'll give it a go.
If I have passengers I usually try to reduce throttle gradually to prevent lurching forward and car sickness, but not always get it right.

Reactions: GoTslaGo
Funny thing, is that at first I had the same opinion as a lot of other posters here... why the heck would they have a "Chill" mode?

Then I thought of my octogenarian mom, and how I am hesitant to get her a model 3 because of how aggressive Tesla's accelerate, and how the regen may confuse her to push "go" to stop.

Well this mode may make driving one more akin to the Buick that she drives, thereby reducing the risk of "unintentional acceleration" for her... This may make it more likely I may get one for her before FSD is available, especially if low regen and Chill can fully replicate an ICE car feel.

Reactions: brkaus
In Amsterdam we have a couple of 100 Model S taxi's. I would say Chill is a nice mode for the passengers.

For me, I think it's brilliant. I used it this morning for 40 miles in the village I live and morning rushhour and I absolutely loved it. Many ICE sportscars have the same (normal and sport modes).

The Tesla is still fast but accelerates graciously. I would say the Chill Mode is my daily drive mode.

I thought it was something like putting the 100D in 60D modes, so I tried it this morning and put the 100D in 60D mode. But that was still much more explosive.

TLDR: I love the Chill mode :)

Attachments

• 20171106_081921.jpg
    20171106_081921.jpg
    447.1 KB · Views: 127
Funny thing, is that at first I had the same opinion as a lot of other posters here... why the heck would they have a "Chill" mode?

Then I thought of my octogenarian mom, and how I am hesitant to get her a model 3 because of how aggressive Tesla's accelerate, and how the regen may confuse her to push "go" to stop.

Well this mode may make driving one more akin to the Buick that she drives, thereby reducing the risk of "unintentional acceleration" for her... This may make it more likely I may get one for her before FSD is available, especially if low regen and Chill can fully replicate an ICE car feel.
If regen on low can be confusing, so can different (even chill) acceleration, or simply slightly different seat shape/size/position, pedal shape, or location of controls - not to mention the huge jump from physical switches to navigating touch screen menus to do even simple things like turn on headlights. I would suggest to just keep the Buick working for your mom as long as possible, or at some point just switch her to Lyft or Uber until FSD is fully functional - much safer this way.

• Helpful
  • Disagree
Reactions: Topher and GoTslaGo
Have you tried the Chill mode with low Regen? I vaguely recall @HankLloydRight had an issue with the even the standard low Regen causing car sickness in others. (Please feel free to ignore this ping if it's a case of mistaken identity).

Yes, even standard "low" regen causes my wife's adult son with Asperger's Syndrome to get nauseated/carsick no matter how "gently" I engage regen. He's hypersensitive to those kinds movements. I don't have "chill mode" yet, but now he drives himself most places, and if we have to go somewhere as a family, I usually take my M5 (usually into NYC where I don't want to take the Telsa into tiny parking garages/valet).

• Helpful
Reactions: GoTslaGo
Any idea as to whether this increases range yet?

I would think it would almost have to. Maybe not so much for the most disciplined drivers. I notice I’m getting worse kwh numbers with my S100D loaner than my corked S75D right now. I’m not sure it that’s due to the additional weight or acceleration of the S100D, probably a combination of both. I’m sure we will know soon enough once it gets rolled out to the fleet.

Any idea as to whether this increases range yet?

THIS. I am expecting the main benefit of chill mode is better efficiency. I recall asking before I bought my cars if Tesla had an ECO mode that mapped the pedals less aggressively, I thing this mode will satisfy that.

Sure, you can moderate efficiency with the pedal manually, but once your “seat dyno” gets used to the higher acceleration, the harder it gets. My efficiency driving in town is absolutely terrible, so I am thinking this mode will help. Especially when I have forgotten to plug in, and now I am trying to eek out every mile of range to avoid having to stop at the Mojave supercharger after work.

I guess as more "new" owners purchase Tesla's they need to be the little old lady from Pasadena lol...

omg, thats the fun of a Tesla...
Chill mode makes sense when you are in cruise control or autopilot.
If regen on low can be confusing, so can different (even chill) acceleration, or simply slightly different seat shape/size/position, pedal shape, or location of controls - not to mention the huge jump from physical switches to navigating touch screen menus to do even simple things like turn on headlights. I would suggest to just keep the Buick working for your mom as long as possible, or at some point just switch her to Lyft or Uber until FSD is fully functional - much safer this way.

The chill mode is probably targeted at making autopilot or FSD more tolerable for passengers. With the cruise control on rolling hills I find that my passengers complain about the forward then backward deceleration feelings because the car so aggressively seeks to maintain speed and has the performance to do exactly that under just about any hilly conditions unlike most ICE vehicles. Plus there's no lag in performance kicking in which contrasts with even performance ICE vehicles who typically have at least a little big of lag.

I find it amusing that just about any thread vaguely related to efficiency or performance always ends up with at least one person telling people that they shouldn't have a Tesla. One dude in another thread was whining that his efficiency wasn't up to his expectations and then accused all of driving really slow all the time if they got better efficiency.

I get it that the chill mode seems unnecessary for people who never use any of the automation features (cruise/autopilot/eventually FSD). But fewer and fewer people will be driving teslas outside of those modes. I love the performance of my car but not all of the people I care about and transport around feel the same way.

you are in cruise control

OMG, I hadn’t thought of that! My biggest annoyance with the cruise control on my classic is when you tap the stalk for a 1 mph increase, it seems to harness almost the entire power of the “P” to accelerate then lets off suddenly because it overshot. It’s VERY annoying when trying to dial in a speed (since I don’t have TACC) to the point that I now disable cruise, speed up with my foot, then re-engage cruise. I had given up on that ever being fixed in software since my car is so “old”.

I have a feeling Chill is going to be my new daily driver/boring commute mode.

Reactions: clostridium
Also known as: "I better not need to accelerate myself out of a dangerous situation" mode.

Have you tried it yet? I have not, but the beauty of a software driven system is that the accelerator map is entirely adjustable. So they could still give you the same power with the pedal floored, but tone down the first 80-90%. Did they? No idea, don't have one to test :oops:

Ah, so you got a Tesla because it will be the fastest to get out of a dangerous situation? So any slower car (including Teslas slower than your P85) you deem to be unsafe...? :rolleyes:

Not unsafe. I don't deem my Leaf unsafe either. I just think my Tesla is safer. And it helped me out in at least 2 instances where I would have been in an accident otherwise had I been driving a lesser car.

Very useful Chill feature I guess. I know a person, who got confused and slammed on the accelerator and the car pounded into the neighbour's garage and also destroyed the owners HVAC box and the adjacent wall. .I guess this feature will make sure that car will not jump as much as before...

I think the chill mode is a good idea. I think what would really make it good is if you could make it password protected too. It would be nice if you could lock it to prevent someone from accessing all of the horsepower. Primarily if you loaned out your car or rented it on Turo. People may not want to rent your car with that mode on but it would be great to have the choice.