Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New CID imminent for S/X (Next few months)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't assume that the next version will have the same aspect ratio. It might not.

If it were the same, and if it were just a simple CPU board upgrade, I think we'd have seen it by now. Tesla is well aware that the S/X owners are grumping that the 3 owners have a faster, more usable display.
Maybe that would be the case if the Model 3 had a web browser. The fast Navigation, brighter display, higher resolution and instant response from speech recognition is nice though.

I'm not so sure, given the CID on the cars is always inverted 180 degrees. Yep, you got that right, all the displays going to the screen are rotated by x.org for the correct orientation, since it displays upside down otherwise. Sad, but true.

Huh?!?! How did this come to pass?

Alan

It sounds stupid but it might not actually be. I work on this kind of stuff for a living, and generally screen orientation is done for image quality / viewing angle. In this case, I expect Tesla chose an off-the-shelf panel that was more meant for use as a monitor (e.g. with the human sitting below the display), except in a car you're looking at it from the other side. Thus, it might make sense to invert the display so that the user is looking "down" at the display.

It's not at all unusual to do in the industry. A lot of phones and tablets have displays that are rotated anywhere from 90 to 270 degrees from their native orientation. It's either done because of image quality considerations or sometimes (on more compact devices) for routing reasons. From a software perspective, rotating the display generally has almost no overhead because every hardware display stack tends to have a rotater/scaler block that you can configure (or just take in a programmed starting line and ending line). It is more just a pain for the engineers working on it :)

EUORA

Eschew use of ridiculous acronyms. OR
Eschew use of ridiculous abbreviations.

I thank you. And, based on a certain missive, I believe Mr Musk does, too.

What does rotate by 180 degrees even mean? Whether pixels light in left to right or top to bottom order with increasing or decreasing values is arbitrary, the final output driver just does it whichever way looks best. Zoom is a marginally harder problem, but as others have pointed out, almost all systems do this stuff in hardware and there isn't any performance or software complexity hit at all.

We're not talking about creating 3D shadows or anything like that here.

Reactions: bmah
Maybe that would be the case if the Model 3 had a web browser. The fast Navigation, brighter display, higher resolution and instant response from speech recognition is nice though.

Sounds like a software update should be able to fix most of those issues, tegra 3 is more than capable of running those at 60fps... Seems to me that software is more optimized on the 3 and has been built from ground up few years ago, where the core software on the s is 6 years old+ and has only been updated with extra features that slowed it down... Hopefully we'll find out soon enough when the new "holly grail" maps/ui update hits our vehicles...

Just remember folks, I called it ;):cool::D

Ok, credit is due. I missed this thread originally.

It appears that a new CID has entered manufacturing for the S/X to revise the CID hardware to the gordon peak platform. No word yet, when it's going to actually make it's way into the car, but it's already being tested now, and should be appearing in new S/X's in the next few months.

But how did you happen to get this information back in January?

Reactions: BigD0g