Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New CID imminent for S/X (Next few months)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BigD0g

Jan 12, 2017
Somewhere
We all know or should know at this point that the m3 center display is built on a new chip architecture from intel gordon peak.

It appears that a new CID has entered manufacturing for the S/X to revise the CID hardware to the gordon peak platform. No word yet, when it's going to actually make it's way into the car, but it's already being tested now, and should be appearing in new S/X's in the next few months.

We all know or should know at this point that the m3 center display is built on a new chip architecture from intel gordon peak.

It appears that a new CID has entered manufacturing for the S/X to revise the CID hardware to the gordon peak platform. No word yet, when it's going to actually make it's way into the car, but it's already being tested now, and should be appearing in new S/X's in the next few months.

what's CID?

For whatever it’s worth, and since speculation is fun, I think we will either see a fork in the codebase or a purchasable hardware retrofit.

My logic for this outlined here in similar recent thread: Model S/X Computer
I would expect to see a fork in the codebase. It would be awesome to see a purchasable hardware retrofit, but that would be pretty overwhelming for the service centers. Other than the $500 3G->LTE upgrade, has Tesla offered any sort of hardware retrofit (that wasn't warranty related)? I guess the HEPA filter was offered post-purchase for a bit (annoying as you can still put in the HEPA filter but they won't give you the BWD button).

Definitely will require a new code branch. Will be interesting to see them maintain two branches (or just cut the earlier gen off completely). Although, Tesla would still be updating the ape.

I suspect they’d just leverage a version of the m3 code branch and one day all would be on the same branch perhaps. The ape branch is already mostly unified, so it’s really just the displays

Ordered my model S in Jan, March delivery, any chance my vehicle will come with the updated unit? Would suck for an update to be launched few weeks after I take my delivery...

I doubt it, honestly. I'm getting more and more doubtful that they will update the MCU before refresh. The new system will undoubtedly be of different geometry. And I can't see that they would want to create a half-way system with the old geometry and new CPU/software. That would be another entire fork that they'd have to maintain.

But... that opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it. :)

As they use QT for the UI then it should be fairly straightforward to move to the new hardware platform. I imagine it was harder with the M3 because of the screen aspect and other underlying changes.

As they use QT for the UI then it should be fairly straightforward to move to the new hardware platform. I imagine it was harder with the M3 because of the screen aspect and other underlying changes.

I'm not so sure, given the CID on the cars is always inverted 180 degrees. Yep, you got that right, all the displays going to the screen are rotated by x.org for the correct orientation, since it displays upside down otherwise. Sad, but true.

Don't assume that the next version will have the same aspect ratio. It might not.

If it were the same, and if it were just a simple CPU board upgrade, I think we'd have seen it by now. Tesla is well aware that the S/X owners are grumping that the 3 owners have a faster, more usable display.

Don't assume that the next version will have the same aspect ratio. It might not.

If it were the same, and if it were just a simple CPU board upgrade, I think we'd have seen it by now. Tesla is well aware that the S/X owners are grumping that the 3 owners have a faster, more usable display.

This is way pure speculation on my part, but I think they'll keep the aspect ratio the same, perhaps a better resolution screen to go with there better vector based maps. But I see the 2 screen solution being a differentiator from the m3. I could be completely wrong, this is all wild speculation on my part.