Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Configurator Coming?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

stevezzzz

R;SigS;P85D;SigX;S90D;XP100D;3LR;YLR
Nov 13, 2009
Colorado
IMG_5757.PNG IMG_5756.PNG

Trev, over at the Model 3 Owners Club YouTube channel has released a new video that shows how to get to what appears to be an entirely new configurator for Model S. You start by typing in www.tesla.com/build/models, then stop the page load before it completes. There's a vastly simpler array of bundled choices with the option of reverting to the existing configurator for a custom config.

Which is all very entertaining as a potential preview of what's coming (no guarantees, YMMV, etc.); but then I thought to try www.tesla.com/build/model3. It doesn't do what you'd hope, but it does bring up a new, 'hidden' page that's a different way of reaching the existing configurators.

Of course, all this may change from hour to hour as Tesla's web designers do their thing.

View attachment 234195 View attachment 234194

Trev, over at the Model 3 Owners Club YouTube channel has released a new video that shows how to get to what appears to be an entirely new configurator for Model S. You start by typing in www.tesla.com/build/models, then stop the page load before it completes. There's a vastly simpler array of bundled choices with the option of reverting to the existing configurator for a custom config.

Which is all very entertaining as a potential preview of what's coming (no guarantees, YMMV, etc.); but then I thought to try www.tesla.com/build/model3. It doesn't do what you'd hope, but it does bring up a new, 'hidden' page that's a different way of reaching the existing configurators.

Of course, all this may change from hour to hour as Tesla's web designers do their thing.
Trev is not the first to mention this, but he made it easy and clear for us. Thanks Trev! Your site is excellent.

over at the Model 3 Owners Club YouTube channel has released a new video that shows how to get to what appears to be an entirely new configurator for Model S. You start by typing in www.tesla.com/build/models, then stop the page load before it completes. There's a vastly simpler array of bundled choices with the option of reverting to the existing configurator for a custom config.
Yes this was posted about awhile ago in the S/X forums. It is difficult to stop the page from redirecting when the new config page has loaded. It is very likely going to be made live soon.

That change is clearly a way for Tesla to "pre-build" popular vehicle configurations and have them ready to deliver quickly when ordered while still giving buyers the ability to have a customized configuration in the same way as we are used to but have to wait longer to take delivery. LIkely results in cost savings for Tesla and faster deliveries for many people. Smart.

One thing that seems like it makes sense for the Model 3 and not for the S is that you lose the ability to change the wheels you want.
Also, the fact that you can only choose the 7 seater if you chose the Performance version is quite funny.
This said, you still have the option to custom the Model S like before, at least for now.

Am I missing the benefit to ordering one of these 'pre-config' models over a self built model? Is it purely a time issue? The only way I'd be willing to purchase these pre-made vehicles if they came with a discount. I really don't want the $3000 special option wheels, nor do I think the $4500 PUP is worth it for its current price point. Now If Tesla allowed me to get self presenting doors for $1000 on its own, I'd do it. Thats really the only option I want in the PUP currently. Heck, the way EAP has been progressing, I may leave that option out entirely, too!

I think you can stop the redirection by hitting Escape... and I thought there was a Custom link to get to build the car any way (lol, what ways there are left as things change all the time) you want. Let me test this again....

Edit: Yep, after a couple of tries, still works the same. Hitting Escape (on a Windows PC, that was the key Trev didn't remember), it will stop on the 'new' configurator. And then there is a 'Custom Build' which goes to the original Design Studio.

I conjecture (as some were saying about the Model 3), they may have cars prebuilt, and if you want one of those configs, you can get one quicker. Like with certain interior combos, option packs, etc. If you want other combinations (custom), it will need a custom order. Like 'real dealers' have been doing it for decades. I used to wait months for a BMW 328 to come from Germany the way I wanted it. :D

Last edited:
Yea, escape works.

Its actually a pretty crappy configurator. Not very verbose and has some strange package combinations.
Yeah, pretty much what I thought. Except for the 'advantage' of having premade cars, don't see the point of the added confusion I'm sure it will generate. Wonder if that is why we haven't seen it. It's been 'around' in the hidden format for weeks and weeks. Or maybe it's waiting to be rolled out for all three versions when the 3's version comes out?

View attachment 234969 Anyone have any idea why the lease option references the $7,500 tax incentive/credit as if you can claim it? (See screenshot). Am I missing something here? I thought Tesla gets the incentive?

RobbW

I was just going to point this out....it's either a UI bug or someone at Tesla knows people that know people and got the legal framework changed (yeah right...) The way it works for leases is opaque at best, i.e. the manufacturer bakes the $7,500 into the lower) lease payments. Supposedly.