Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Englanders -- check in!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Checking in from Winchester, MA with a Performance model on order (gray paint, gray wheels) at P3886. I expect to drive to Cambridge daily for work (7 miles each way - may take detours via New Hampshire) and 150 miles each way to Maine many weekends.

Register on the map here if you haven't already:
World Map of Model S Reservation Holders

I spotted another Winchester, MA order on the map at P3963 - maybe they'll deliver both of us the same day? We're only 77 production spots apart, less than a day at full production speed with dropouts.

Welcome alset! See you in Natick tonight at the grand opening?

Great fun in Natick tonight, meeting several of you. Robert, so glad you got the NETMC forum up and running. Meeting GB was a highlight and you could probably tell I was distracted even from the pork chops given the chance to speak with him. The store looks great, I want that founder's car in the store, and Troy I happened purely by chance to lark my car next to yours. Yours is nicer. Than even my 2001 Volvo V40. Cynergi please keep us n the loop as The Day arrives. These are good days.

A day goes by - and suddenly the Supercharger is $2,000 for a 60kWh owner...did see a look of slight pain on George's face last night when I asked about the cost - though he noted he could not comment, there was a flush of the cheeks (forgive me George) and he noted, "especially after the announcement on supercharging for 60kWh this week " [you may want to consider the 85].... The extra cost is $1,000 for me as I configured earlier. But that's it. I'm out. It's too much to make the 60kWh battery worth it. No, not dumping Tesla. Diving in. Upgraded to 85kWh. And ain't that what they were hoping? Will opt OUT of the twin chargers $1500, drop the HPWC$1200, forget about a 100Amp line to my garage (requires special town meter and monthly bill) $1000. That, along with avoiding the $1,000 supercharge fee saves $4700, so the net increase is about $5K. And I go further on a charge, and faster from Zero to 60, and I get to drive 120 instead of just 110mph. Have a day or two to decide one more way to save $1000: should I drop the paint armor? Could really use your input, New Englanders. Thinking I'd add a limited covering to the forward facing exposed surfaces through an aftermarket vendor. Suggestions, thoughts and feedback on all of this welcome.

Last edited:
Have a day or two to decide one more way to save $1000: should I drop the paint armor? Could really use your input, New Englanders.

From what I've researched, I think the way to think about the paint armor is determined by your paint color choice. Dark colors, it works well. Light colors (white, really... But perhaps the gray) it is a bad idea. I am getting pearl white, so I opted no.

Pacific (metallic) Blue - my issue is do I need it, less than will that partially covered hood or slight yellowing look bad...thoughts? Never had it on a car.

Congrats on upgrading.

I think I may opt out of the Tesla armor and get more done via after market. I've never owned a luxury car before - but I do lots of highway miles and my current car
is pretty dinged up.

/Ed

Pacific (metallic) Blue - my issue is do I need it, less than will that partially covered hood or slight yellowing look bad...thoughts? Never had it on a car.

If I was doing blue, I would likely get it. It was all but invisible, even on the white. It protects from rocks, etc... And I've read that the paint is "soft", so...

I had originally opted to have it on my white one, but then freaked out and removed it... I had read that it looked bad on light colors and when I emailed TM they indicated that it was wise to avoid it on white... Well that sealed the deal.

If I was doing blue, I would likely get it. It was all but invisible, even on the white. It protects from rocks, etc... And I've read that the paint is "soft", so...

I have read that too, but not from any Model S owner. Where I think it came from is that the carbon fibre body of the Roadster required soft paint to keep from cracking. The metal body of the Model S should not require any such strategy. The half covered hood makes it a non-starter for me (even if I was getting dark colour).

Last edited:
I'm personally not doing the paint armor because it's not full coverage. I have it on the Roadster and it's protected some areas, sure -- but there are *PLENTY* of other areas with chips from debris. So what was the point? ...

I have read that too, but not from any Model S owner. Where I think it came from is that the fibre-glass body of the Roadster required soft paint to keep from cracking. The metal body of the Model S should not require any such strategy. The half covered hood makes it a non-starter for me (even if I was getting dark colour).

That's Carbon Fiber.

I already know a Model S owner who took his car in and had the whole hood covered (redone).

Dave, the Tesla marketing guy who drove the Model S (in the store) up from New York, pointed out that there was a small paint ding in the car. He explained that he got caught behind a truck that was spewing gravel; the car took a lot of hits, he said. So, what's amazing is that there was only one ding -- but it clearly went all the way to metal. (The car does not have paint armor.)

Dave was a big proponent of the paint armor up in New England, though. He confirmed others' POV that on dark colors, the paint armor would scarcely be visible. I certainly can see the argument for holding out for more extensive coverage, but if the exercise is to try to trim out cost for @ModelS1079, that's moving the wrong direction.

...Dave was a big proponent of the paint armor up in New England, though. He confirmed others' POV that on dark colors, the paint armor would scarcely be visible. I certainly can see the argument for holding out for more extensive coverage, but if the exercise is to try to trim out cost for @ModelS1079, that's moving the wrong direction.

Robert, All - many thanks for revisiting this subject. Sounds like I need to either go with the Tesla Armor or promptly consider an aftermarket coverage of at least the hood/front, or just accept some deep dings. Heard one might be able to cover the headlights as well after market. Not sure that's worth it. I'd like to work on an estimate as cost is the issue at hand for me - any vendors you folks have used? Again, thanks for the feedback.

Dave was a big proponent of the paint armor up in New England, though. He confirmed others' POV that on dark colors, the paint armor would scarcely be visible. I certainly can see the argument for holding out for more extensive coverage, but if the exercise is to try to trim out cost for @ModelS1079, that's moving the wrong direction.

My thought is that Tesla did the half-a-hood armour because that is what all the other carmakers do, so they probably thought it would be expected. Now that they have purchased a production run of the paint armour (I'm assuming they had to buy some initial quantity to get it produced) they can't change. Once they sell all the paint armour they have purchased perhaps the next run will be full hood coverage.

Last edited:
Robert, All - many thanks for revisiting this subject. Sounds like I need to either go with the Tesla Armor or promptly consider an aftermarket coverage of at least the hood/front, or just accept some deep dings. Heard one might be able to cover the headlights as well after market. Not sure that's worth it. I'd like to work on an estimate as cost is the issue at hand for me - any vendors you folks have used? Again, thanks for the feedback.

I have talked to these guys: Wheel DynamiX, Inc. because they're local to me.
I also may consider them for snow tire swapping, again since they're local and experienced with high end cars.
They quoted me $2,600 (or $2,700) for the whole car though so now I'm having 2nd thoughts.

I have talked to these guys: Wheel DynamiX, Inc. because they're local to me.
I also may consider them for snow tire swapping, again since they're local and experienced with high end cars.
They quoted me $2,600 (or $2,700) for the whole car though so now I'm having 2nd thoughts.

Other quotes on the forum have been in the $4,000 dollar range for the entire car. Under $3,000 is a bargain.