Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Englanders -- check in!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings, New England Tesla owners and future owners! Long time, first time. We bought a few shares of TSLA two years ago. After a year and a couple of test drives, we we're hooked. The several weeks that we spent on 'Design' was worth it. Once satisfied, clicking on the 'Place Order' screen was done with confidence. Our Model S arrived in Watertown this past May. The car and service have been fantastic. We're now looking forward to some winter travel. With family in CT, Auburn MA will be coming on line just in time!

So cool. Auburn may be ready for Thanksgiving. Waiting on a transformer.

Southwest CT here, expecting VIN 66697 in December - Pearl P85D. Upgrading from a competition M3 that I miss already. Two new Supercharger stations on I95 North & South, both 5 minutes from my house, will help make my first Tesla a fun experience.

Hello to All. No Tesla yet. Will order the top of the line model about a year from now (Nov 2015) or right after the next iteration of the S is announced. I live about 3 miles from the Milford SC and the Milford I95 superchargers. Retired computer software engineer and auto enthusiast. Do all the wrenching on my old muscle cars.

Southwest CT here, expecting VIN 66697 in December - Pearl P85D. Upgrading from a competition M3 that I miss already. Two new Supercharger stations on I95 North & South, both 5 minutes from my house, will help make my first Tesla a fun experience.

Welcome! Those Superchargers near you house won't be very useful, I suspect, unless you for some reason can't charge at home. It is absolutely worth it to spend a couple hundred $ to install a NEMA 14-50 at home. Just plug in when you get home at night, and you're all set.

new plate

I'll be sportin' this on the back of my lease until "soon", when the frame will move to the car waiting to be replaced by the M≡.

Attachments

• PlateFrame25x2.jpg
    PlateFrame25x2.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
This is my third winter with the P85, using snow tires. What I particularly like is the smoothness of accelerating on the slippery stuff. While most traditional ICE cars freak out and jerk around with the power, the Tesla feels quite linear in its acceleration. It is presumably detecting slippage and adjusting so quickly, it's barely noticeable other than the constant flashing of the traction control light. I still out-accelerate AWD cars from a light without even trying. :)

I'm running with the standard 19" on my new P85D. Traction has been great, but I've found that the snowy weather really wreaks havoc with some of the autopilot features.

The lane departure warning frequently goes off due to snow on the road even if I'm clearly in the middle of a lane.

The parking sensors can easily get snow on or near them which causes them to blare the red stop warning whenever I am coming to a stop or starting to move again. Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be any option to turn this alert off or silence it.

The cruise control will intermittently stop working. Sometimes for minutes, sometimes for half an hour or so. When I try to engage it, it just says "Cruise not available". I've reported this problem to support as it might be an actual technical issue rather than just inclement weather.

I've had the collision warning go off a couple of times when there was no clear danger. Both times, there were snow banks near by, with either my car or a car in front of me in the process of turning. I suspect it got confused by the snow bank and thought the car was closer or in a different position.

I have same issue with parking sensor and snow on the bumper. I can turn off the audible alarm but that isn't the point. It just doesn't work well when snow is present.

I've also had the charge port door frozen shut and needed some manual persuasion.

Minor issues with cold winter driving.

Thanks Robert. Every time I come across small things like this I can't help but dream about what I could *do* with the telemetry data they collect or could collect. I work in data warehousing and analytics, and I can just dream up all sorts of ways that they could be collecting signals about when things like this happen to discover the problems and how to solve them.

It is especially interesting to me because I am a firm believer in data privacy and ownership, so the methods I am particular to don't require taking control away from the owner, but rather working hand in hand with them.

I'm running with the standard 19" on my new P85D. Traction has been great, but I've found that the snowy weather really wreaks havoc with some of the autopilot features.

The lane departure warning frequently goes off due to snow on the road even if I'm clearly in the middle of a lane.

The parking sensors can easily get snow on or near them which causes them to blare the red stop warning whenever I am coming to a stop or starting to move again. Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be any option to turn this alert off or silence it.

The cruise control will intermittently stop working. Sometimes for minutes, sometimes for half an hour or so. When I try to engage it, it just says "Cruise not available". I've reported this problem to support as it might be an actual technical issue rather than just inclement weather.

I've had the collision warning go off a couple of times when there was no clear danger. Both times, there were snow banks near by, with either my car or a car in front of me in the process of turning. I suspect it got confused by the snow bank and thought the car was closer or in a different position.

I've also had a ton of problems with cruise control not being available. It seems it has been 'unavailable' more than it has been available this winter. I have chalked it up to inclement weather and will pursue it with service if it persists once things warm up.

(while you can't turn the parkins sensors off, you can turn off the audible warnings...I did this soon after getting my car because of my narrow drive into my garage.)