Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Fire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a 2015 85kWh battery pack MS owner, should I start parking outside?
I've parked outside for about a year - since Tesla released this statement and pushed updates limiting "charge and thermal limits" to try and avoid more fires without following official recall notification procedures.

They admitted a year ago they were aware of and conducting an "investigation" into parked car fires but didn't report it to the NHTSA. At that point I realized they were covering up something and staeted parking away from the house and as close to the street (and fire department access) as my wall charger's cable allows. There's been lawsuits and an NHTSA investigation into this but nothing public except the occasional new fire, so until I'm officially told this has been repaired I will avoid parking anywhere a burning battery could hurt someone. My garage is under one of my kids' bedroom. It's easier for me to park outside than to build more bedrooms or convince Tesla to come clean.

I'll park inside again when the NHTSA goes public. Until then, all I know is Tesla knows there's a fire problem and they don't want to fix it or inform us / the NHTSA.

It's hard to say what that is. It looks like a refresh. It has the newer Twin Turbines. But it still says Model S and looks like a battery capacity on the right so it isn't a brand new Tesla.

definitely not and 85 unless they put a refresh bumper on it. And why speculate as to what happened. For all we know the person hit something and drove home and it caught on fire from the damage but alas I'm sure they will say "oh me oh my it just dun blowed up all on its own"

Let's not minimize a real known issue with the 85 packs. Tesla wouldn't cripple it for no reason.

Hopefully more details come out. Speculation is not useful.
Were not minimizing but its obviously not an 85 pack. Also this is common practice to put out fud when tesla does well. Again I ask for someone to do the math on how many model s and x have been sold compared to the ones that have burst into flames without help from a puncture or accident.

Two things come to mind:

1. The music in the video is excessively dramatic.
2. Water didn't appear to suppress the fire, at least not quickly or easily.

I have an 85 in the garage. I charge at 10 amps and hope to never encounter a Tesla fire while in or out of the car.

Here we go. I’ve seen many ICE cars on fire in person. I personally know people who’ve experienced vehicle fires. A house in my old neighborhood had a car catch fire in the garage. All of those manufacturers are still in business selling cars to people who park them in their garages. This isolated incident is not news except to those who have some interest in seeing Tesla fail. Spoiler alert: They won’t.